SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sueq01

kitchen wiring/dedicated lines

sueq01
15 years ago

Posted by sueq01 (My Page) on Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 14:08

Hello,

Great site. Thank you in advance for your insight.

I am remodeling my kitchen. I have a few questions regarding the kitchen island, hood and dw. The kitchen is over a crawl space.

Which appliances need a dedicated line? The dishwasher and sink will be in the island. How does this get wired and how do the remaining receptacles in the island get installed/wired--with romex through the cabinet?

I will be using a laptop and small appliances at the island.

I was thinking of wiremold on the island under the counter ledge. Someone on this site installed it. Is this suitable and is it available in gfci? I think it is very practical as far as # of outlets and spacing. I do not want to see any wiring though. If it is suitable, how does the wiring get installed?

All other appliances/outlets: If I use a built in 1200 watt +/- microwave or a microwave in an open shelf unit, does it need its own dedicated line? It will be below the counter, and it is on the same wall with the refrigerator, a gas range and hood (hood is 120v/288watts) and a window ac (120v). There are 5 outlets currently, 4 duplex and 1 gfci. There is not a dw in the existing kitchen nor are there any dedicated lines it seems.

Any suggestions. ps, I will be hiring an electrician, but I would like to have a clue before talking to them. Thanks again.

Comments (3)