SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnygardenerme

? for lilysuzanne40 regarding adult SKs

sunnygardenerme
16 years ago

Hi Lily, I know you posted that you could give advise on adult stepchildren. My question is: How do you respond to adult stepchildren who when DH & I meet with them to visit over lunch or to go shopping, etc. they then out of the blue for no reason bring up something about their mother that does not fit the conversation? It appears to DH & I that thay want to make things unconfortable for us and we are uncomfortable. DH and I both don't know how to respond because it just does not belong in the topic or conversation we are on and were both shocked each time it happens. You would think we would be used to it, but I guess we keep thinking they will grow up and stop it.

DH and his X do not get along and never have since she had an affair, divorced DH, married the guy she had the affair with, and divorced him 5 months later, then attempted to cause problems in our relationship over the last 8 years. She still gets money from my DH and will until she dies because he signed the divorce paper while in mental distress and signed he would pay her monthly until she dies. The X has a job, a new man living with her, owns a house, car, goes on trips, and is sitting fine financially. DH is upset about the payment each month when it comes out of his check. His X has never once helped out the kids and that is why I do not care for her. I do not understand why a bio mother feels she does not have to help out her bio kids. Instead she always refers her kids to dad for money, a place to stay, for necessities, etc.

Because of all the above mentioned things DH and I do not really care to talk about the X. I know this is the kid's mother, but if it does not fit in the conversation why do his adult kids (SD 26 yrs old and SS 22 yrs old) do this? Also, what is a good way for me to respond as a step mother and how should DH respond? We both are just taken back when it happens and would like to put a stop to it.

Thanks for the advise.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus