SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnygardenerme

Help! stepsparent of adult child

sunnygardenerme
16 years ago

Please let me know how you would feel about the following situation. I am upset right now and cannot sleep. I need to vent.

SD 26 calls DH to let him know she will be staying with bio mom for one month while in between apartments. Sounds great since in the past bio mom would never allow SD to stay with her. However, SD requested that DH help her move and bring our large sofa we have in storage for her to sleep on at moms.

The problem I have with this is:

1st: It is an hour and a half drive one way to haul a large sofa for just one month.

2nd: We gave bio mom a regular bed about 3 years ago so the stepkids would have somewhere to sleep when they stayed with her. I guess now bio mom has some man staying with her and he uses that bed.

3rd: I feel bio mom and SD are just trying to get something free from us again. I don't feel it will come back in a month and if it does it may have stains or damage.

When DH asked I said "no". This sofa is going to be used in our family room as soon as we get it finished in a couple of months.

I asked DH if he wanted to really do this and he said he didn't care. I reminded him that we gave bio mom a full size bed about 3 years ago for the kids. DH had forgotten about the bed. Bio mom has a man living with her now. I mentioned that now some man gets to sleep in that bed??? I just don't see this as right.

I suggested an airbed for a month or maybe bio mom could purchase or rent her own sofa for daughter to sleep on for one month.

I'm I out of line? How would you feel? Bio mom has never done or paid for anything for her kids. Bio mom uses the kids to try and get things from dad.

I do remember when we first were married DH and I combined our furniture. Our living room at the time had alot of furniture in it. Bio mom told SS to tell dad she would trade her identical love seat for the same identical large sofa (the one daughter want brought to moms).

Please answer the question honestly. I just can't believe the guts some people have. I know DH will be helping SD move and I am sure SD will make sure bio mom and dad get together. This is soo very frustrating. I am getting tired of it. Tell me how you would handle this situation. DH did admit that he understood my point of view. But he said they would have to figure something out. I in turn said why do you have to. Shouldn't bio mom and daughter figure this out? These are two adult women. Why does DH feel he needs to cater to them? It just gets upsetting and stressful and is hard on our marriage. I dislike being put in this situations.

Comments (65)