SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamacita_gw

Marriage is suffering !

mamacita
15 years ago

I need help with my family situation. When I started dating my husband , his son was 1 1/2 . His ex-wife has never been very responsible and my husband decided that his son should come and live with us when he was about 8 yrs old. When he came, he would mistreat our daughter (who was about 4 at the time), did poorly in school and would not follow our household rules(his mother would let him do whatever, as long as she didn't have to be bothered). My husband was not consistent with disciplining him because he was worried that he'd want to leave and go back with his mother, which was not a good/safe environment. Well, fast forward to the present- my stepson is now 15, my daughter 11 and our youngest son is 8. I love my stepson but I don't like him very much and in a nutshell, his behavior causes constant friction in the household and is a real source of tension between myself and my husband. My stepson's mom decided to move out-of-town and just left him here (and when she was here she didn't do much of anything, provides no support (including financially) and always talks to him and treats him as an adult (which causes major probs in our household because we treat him as a child, which is what he is). He doesn't care about his grades, talks back constantly,never does any of his chores without being told 100 times ,is disrespectful and loves to report his unhappiness to his mother (without telling about his behavior). I'm so fed up and at this point my biggest problem is with my husband. He gets frustrated and does not consistently discipline him, check with his teachers (re:grades), etc. and it falls on me. My husband is also in school right now (along with working full time) , so it leaves me in the position of disciplinarian and I DO NOT tolerate disrespect (or poor grades due to sheer laziness ) from ANY of the kids so there's constant friction between myself and my stepson. I'm at the point where I don't even like being there with him if my husband isn't home. I've asked my husband at least 5 times about getting counseling for him because I think a lot of this comes from the issues with his mom (in and out of his life, manipulative, doesn't feel that school is really that important, etc - polar opposite of what we try to instill at home). He still has not got counseling for him. I love my husband dearly, but I'm at the point where I am ready to separate from my husband to keep the other 2 kids from this poor influence and to save my sanity. Along with the fact that I was never allowed to disrespect adults and I don't feel that I should have to put up with this in my own home. SORRY this is so long, any advice on this situation ?

Comments (4)