SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirk_gw

annoyed

quirk
16 years ago

Back in december I posted looking for advice on how to discuss w/ my mom the fact that my BF is black (Im white) given that her long-term SO is (among other things) racist and IÂm concerned about conflict/issues if/when I bring him with me to meet the family. So, when I was home for Christmas I had the talk with her about it.

So, yesterday IÂm on the phone with her and she asks about BF, we chat for a couple minutes about him before moving on to other topics in the background, I hear Dude making jokes be sure to invite us to the wedding, etc (no thereÂs no wedding in the works) I know him well enough to know from what he said and his tone that obviously she has not told him that bf is not white. Rationally, I donÂt suppose thereÂs any reason she needs to have told him BF and I have been struggling lately, mainly from not being able to find enough time together, so at this point there are no immediate plans to bring him home to the family if we manage to find some time to get away together anytime soon, it will definitely be some nice quiet little trip somewhere for couple time just the two of us to relax and connect not out to meet the family. So thereÂs no immediate reason that dude needs to know, and it is my momÂs relationship not mine not my place to decide what she does or doesnÂt talk to him about, and the whole point of my bringing up the subject in the first place was to give her the information and let her decide for herself the best way to handle Dude. And normally I donÂt go around making a point out of telling people oh IÂm dating someone of a different race than me because I donÂt think itÂs a big deal that needs to be mentioned anyway.

But for whatever reason it just really rubbed me the wrong way. In this specific instance it would be a big deal to dude, so I know the reason she hasnÂt told him is because he wouldnÂt approve not because she thinks itÂs something minor that doesnÂt need to be mentioned. It just feels like sheÂs knowingly hiding it from him and that makes it seems like itÂs shameful or something. I donÂt know just seems like going along with the idea of donÂt tell people who wouldnÂt approve seems like condoning or agreeing with the opinion that thereÂs something wrong with it so it needs to be hidden. And that if I go along with it that makes me a party to the whole thing. If that makes sense. Anyway, whatever the reason, I donÂt like it if he were my parent or grandparent or whatever IÂd feel more like its my life I can tell him whatever I want and heÂll just have to deal but since heÂs her SO technically not my relative I donÂt necessarily feel like itÂs my place to make a point of it unless and until he *needs* to know (ie before I show up on the doorstep with BF) -- guess IÂm not real clear where to draw the line between "my life I can tell him whatever I want and heÂll just have to deal" and "her relationship she can decide what she does or doesnÂt talk to him about"-- but the whole thing just makes me feel like I need a shower or something. Icky, you know?

Not really looking for advice i don't think, just ventingÂ

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington