SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please help us choose and design lighting and bling for kitchen

ontariomom
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Note: I hope it okay, but this is cross posted on the kitchen forum. It may be more of a decorating question especially in terms of finding a good solution for lighting the island given the bulky island hood.

We would love and appreciate your guidance on lighting our kitchen. We can't do under cabinet lighting as we don't have any under cabinet space. I don't want just pot lights and a few pendants as I enjoy mixing up the lighting. Here are a few ideas:

1)Put strip lighting inside the glass cabinet. Undecided if we will have glass on the sides of the cabinet or wood. Any thoughts on this debate. The glass will be decorative glass.
2)Put a nice hanging light of some sort over each window

1. Instead of a hanging light over each window, we could do sconces on each side of the glass cabinet. However, we would have to have wood sides for that.
    4)Put 2 pendants over the clean-up peninsula
    5)Put 2-3 pendants over the island (there will also be LED lights under the island vent hood).
    6)Possibly put two sconce lights in the wall where it is marked "decorative plates"
    7)Put lights on dimmers and different circuits
    8)Have pot lights be 4 inch with LED bulbs (maybe standard pot light housing).

Our ceilings are 8 foot so height is a limiting factor. The house is open concept with dining room on other side of clean-up run and great room beside dining room. There is also a small living room on the other side of the kitchen too. The perimeter cabinets will be Alabaster SW off white and the island will be a dark chocolate stained. The counter is a creamy and grey quartz (Bianco Drift Cesearstone). I think the handles will be polished nickel and so will the faucets. The appliances are stainless.

Any thoughts on lighting? Where would you position the lights (esp the pendants)? Any thoughts on lighting fixtures. I like transitional leaning a bit towards traditional.

Thanks!!

Carol

Here is a picture drawn by the cabinet maker (Scherr's). There is only a half wall behind the clean-up run not a full wall as drawn.

Here is an inspiration picture showing what our hood will resemble. The island hood will need to be factored into the visual hanging clutter big time. We are planning to get it powder coated in either an off white or even an accent colour (grey blue). It will have stainless banding on the bottom. It also has LED lights under the hood for task lighting.

Craftsman Kitchen by Seattle Design-Build Firms RW Anderson Homes

Comments (36)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm