SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shesabeauty

Please help me choose an area rug design/style and an accent chair

A. Hunter
4 years ago

I am already on my 3rd purchase of an area rug for my living room and still do not like this last one. I'm not sure why this has been so hard but I just cannot find the right match. First off my sofa is a dark chocolate brown, floors are brownish gray vinyl plank a bit rustic, walls are BM London Fog, trim is BM White Dove. My media cabinet has a distinctive pattern/design. Coffee/nesting tables are dark wood/metal. I like to mix metals and have some lamps, accent tables and accessories that are antique brass/gold/pewter. I recently lightly whitewashed my fireplace, the original brick had too much of a flesh tone that I didn't think went well with the flooring or paint color.

Living room is open to breakfast/kitchen. Kitchen cabinets are espresso with white granite countertops that have flecks of dark gray/black (can't remember name of granite), backsplash is a quartz ledgestone.

The pictures are of the last rug I just ordered. I don't like it :( I'm thinking maybe I should go with a plain (not pattern) area rug? Everything I've selected seem to clash with the media cabinet because of the pattern. If I do with a solid area rug, what color? This is the other issue I'm having, should I try to match the brown in the sofa/flooring or do I need a rug that will contrast or even bring some color into the space?

3rd problem - an accent chair for the corner left of media cabinet. I have no idea what style and/or color would go with 1) the brown sofa and 2) not clash with the media cabinet. Not sure I can go with a pattern because of that. So if I go with a solid color chair, then what color? I don't think I want to match the brown sofa because I'm not looking for a matchy-matchy look, on the other hand, I don't want the room to look completely mis-matched either. Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard, but I haven't had any luck with a rug I like or have I been able to find a chair that I think would compliment the sofa.

Please share your ideas, thoughts or recommendations! Thank you so much :-)

Oh, also this last rug is 8x10 I'm not even sure if this is the correct size for my room. Does it look ok or do I need a larger rug?

I apologize for the lighting in the pictures, the fireplace wall faces south so the sun moves around to the picture windows late afternoon/evening then this room gets filled with nice natural light.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!