SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saturnsangel

Step daughter and new baby

SaturnsAngel
21 years ago

My husband has a daughter who'll turn 7 in 2 months. The same month, my first daughter Katie will be born. I am 22 year old, and my husband is 25. When we told her mother we were having a baby, she turned it into a big ordeal and refused to allow us to tell SD about the baby. Eventually the time came when we'd have to tell her because she was coming to visit (she lives 5 hours away so we don't see her on an every other weekend basis, but we get her for at least a week at a time). Her mother said she wanted to be the one to tell her, we said fine. We then recieved a call from her mother saying that SD did not want a sister. Well, there was nothing we could do about that. When we picked SD up she was very excited to see us and come visit. She told us that her mother said she wasn't going to have a real sister, that this was only a half sister, so it didn't count, and she was afraid she wouldn't be able to come visit anymore because we'd be too busy with "our" daughter. Her father went on to explain that we were not having a half baby and that Katie and her would be sisters regardless of what her mother said. She seemed to understand. When my husband spoke to her mother about saying they were ONLY half sisters she said we were being stupid. We've never had any problems with SD adjusting to having me around since she was very young, and we get along great. SD is excited to play with the baby crib and seems anxious for Katie to arrive, what we don't want is SD to feel less important because of Katie. Is it wrong for us to tell her they are sisters?? She'll never have a whole full blooded sister, why do we have to label everyone?? SD is the only one that is going to be affected by ONLY being a half sister, she'll soon realized that yes, Katie will get more attention from us, because she'll live with us all the time. Has anyone else been in this situation?? How do you explain to a 7 year old that she's not being replaced even though she gets that impression from her birth mom?? We've already taken as many precautions as we can think of, instead of the girls having their own rooms, they will share a play room, and share a bedroom, that way, there is no saying these are Katies toys, or Katies room. Im just so confused.

~Shari

Comments (17)