SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope317

Problematic Step Daughter

hope317
16 years ago

I am hoping I can recieve some objective advice and help me to sort through some of my emotions.

I have been married for a little over 5 years and lived with my husband two years prior to getting married. He has a daughter from a 3 month relationship he had with a women who was married at the time (he claims he did not know). Anyways, he was not present for her birth and was not part of her life until the results of the paternity test came through six months after her birth. It is an understatement to say that her mother loathes my husband. She openly tells this to her daughter and speaks negatively about both of us.

I met her when she was a little over two, but really became part of her life when she was four (my husband and I split for a year). I did my best to make a place for her in our home. We rented a two bedroom just so she can have a room when she would visit us every other weekend. She was always a bit problematic in the sense of crying excessively, throwing tantrums, and being unappreciative. However, I continually rationalized with my husband that her life must be very difficult and confusing. There is a very high tension level between the mother and my husband and it is clear to everyone that they do not like eachother at all. The mother usually had her mother (the child's grandmother) taking care of her. My husband before he started living with me would drop her off at his sister's house. So essentially she was always bouncing around. A couple of years went by and the mother decided to move to another state, we seeked legal counsel, there was nothing he could do but come to an agreement regarding visitation; which is what happened.

Fast forward... For about 3 years she would come to visit her father during the summer and Christmas vacations. I worked until about 2 1/2 years ago (before our daughter was born) so we would take her to camp. In the interum we purchased a 3 bdrm house, so again we gave her a room so she could have her space. She would still have the crying, sometimes because she missed her mother other times she would say that she didn't want to leave because her mother was mean. Everytime she would get tin trouble, for talking back, not listening, being disrespectful, whatever.. she would usually turn out the waterworks and blame her mother somehow.

Fast Forward... She is now almost 12 years old and our daughter is about 2 1/2 years old. I stay at home to take care of our daughter full-time because we both agreed that the way the world is today, it was worth the financial sacrifice. We wanted to ensure her safety and not have her practically raised by strangers at the time when she can't even speak to tell us of something bad is happening. Every summer my SD would become increasingly more difficult. She waould say nasty things for no reason, I would often sit and talk to her to advise her of the consequences of being cruel to other people for no reason; of the importance of doing what is right because it is the right thing to do. My husband and I would have these kind of talks with her at least 5 to 6 times every summer. It was very frustrating because it would go in one ear and right out the other. Every summer we would be explainig the same principles... TALK after TALK after TALK and NO CHANGE.

I really tried my hand at being as patient as possible. My parents divorced when I was very young, I barely remember my father being in my life, he re-married had children so I was sensitive to the situation, because I knew what it felt like to feel misplaced. But this is the problem now, my little girl is very affectionate and screeches with delight every time her sister comes to visit. I have caught my SD pushing her out of her room, saying mean things to her (luckily she doesn't understand and she doesn't pick up on her faces, like rolling of the eyes, pulling her arm away so my daughter doesn't touch her, etc.). It is very clear that her existence bothers my SD, she has openly told us that she doen't want us to have any more children, of course I told her that was not her decision.

This past summer was my own personal HELL. I scold my SD, but I feel that the only one that should decide and follow through with harsh punishment should be her father (my husband) and her real mother. I would never want anyone disciplining my child without my explicit consent. I was constantly doing my best to keep my SD and my daughter separate so that she would not be exposed to her constant rejection. She would just be plain mean for no reason, aggressive, even when my daughter was trying to be playful or get her attention, etc. She was in her room the whole time. Every-time she would come out my daughter would get all excited only to have her close the gate (that leads to the hallway)or her bdrm door on her face. I eventually had it and spoke to my husband, he had yet another "TALK" it didn't do much affect. There was an incident when my daughter was playing (or so I thought) with my SD in my SD's room and when I go to take my daughter a shower I see all these red marks on my daughter. I immediately called my SD to the Bathrm and asked her what was this, she immediately denied everything then finaly admitted that my daughter hit slapped her backside. I told her to pull down so she can show me, and I can show her, that she didn't hurt her at all and if she wanted to hit somebody to hit me b/c I can defend myself. Understand, that my husband and I are very playful and my SD knows this and in no way was my daughter beating my SD it was playful. I immediately notified my husband of the incident.

From that point forward I never let them be together alone out of my sight, I felt I couldn't trust her, because she was being openly aggressive. Later that month, my husband had finally arrived home with my SD, he had taken her to work that day. My daughter hadn't seen him. My SD was giving my husband a massage, my mother and I were sitting across from him talking. My daughter gets in between my SD and my husband to in her way "help" massage her dad. We notice that my SD is getting a little annoyed, all of a sudden my daughter starts yelling and crying. I run te her and she's crying so much she doesn't respond. We all ask my SD what happened she claims ignorance. My daughter finally tells me "it hurts", I ask where she points and says her backside, we pull down her pants, she has a welt. My husband goes to see, she hugs my mom in fear b/c she doesn't want to be touched. This was the straw that broke the camels back I was FURIOUS. My husband goes into my SD room to "Talk", she still claims she did nothing, even though she was right behind her, no one else, no ghosts... nothing just her. My husband tells me that maybe her foot got caught, making excuses, I remind him of the welt and that our daughter told us where it hurt and it wasnlt her foot. Ultimately, my husband did not punish her just the infamous "talking." The next day she was treating my daughter, like it was her fault and didn't want her to be near her. Even sitting in the backseat, my daughter would try to touch her and she would pull away as if she had a contagious disease. I told my husband, nothing, he continued to treat her like if nothing happened.

She moved back down to our state, and my husband told me she would be coming every other weekend. I told him that I did not feel comfortable in my own home, when she was around and that if he was not going to be here ALL weekend to not pick her up. The reason for her to be here is for him to spend time with her. He agreed. But the problem is, is that her bahavior doesn't change and it seems to be escalating. Now, my daughter is picking up some of her habits, and I just DO NOT want her exposed to this type of constant aggression and rejection. My husband since he doesn't know how to handle it, he just ignores it. But I feel like I am put in a position where I need to first and foremost protect my daughter. My husband and I wanted to have another baby and I am truly having second thoughts. He suggests that my SD share a room with my daughter I said NO!! not only are they 9 yrs apart, but she is cruel to her and unneccesarily mean and I will not have my daughter feel like a bother or a nusance in her own home/room, where she should feel is her sanctuary.

Because of my husbands job, he would only be able to pick her up every 3rd weekend and I had come to terms with making myself and the baby scarce to not subject her to any more forms of her mistreatment. I realized a few days ago, after the first weekend visit that I was essentially allowing myself and my daughter to be driven away from our own home.

It is now significantly affecting my marraige. I am resentful of the fact that my husband never punished her for hurting our daughter. I am resentful that I am expected to excuse her behavoior because it is as a result of the venom her mother has instilled in her. I resent the fact that my children won't have a room of their own in their own full-time (365 days a year) home because she can't be trusted to share a room. I resent myself for bringing a child of my own into this situation. I realize I completely underestimated this situation and thought I could make a difference in my SD's life, but I have realized it won't work unless she is a willing participant and her mother layoff the trash talk. This last weekend my SD told my husband that her mother told her she wished he were DEAD. I have come to the point where I just don't want this negative influence in my daughter's life. I want to raise her to respect others, have a genuine love for her family and just be an all around caring person. MY SD's behavior is UNACCEPTABLE in this house and I don't want my daughter to grow up thinking that behavior is acceptable.

I honestly feel that the best thing to do is eliminate myself and my daughter from the equation. I love my husband and being raised by a single mom with a non-existant father I never wanted to deny my daughter the father daughter bond I never had. But I feel I have no other choice. My husband of course doesn't want us to leave, but I just don't know what else to do. I don't want my husband to grow to resent me for causing a wedge between his relationship with his daughter (my SD). I just cannot continue to stand by and watch this mistreatment of my daughter continue to unfold. Please offer your advice am I doing the right thing?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County