SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

pros and cons of hardwood vs carpet?

tansunny
14 years ago

We have a small 1950's ranch. Its just under 1100 sq ft. The floors in the living room/bedroom/hallway are carpet over hardwood (newer laminate in the kitchen).

The current carpet in the living room is in terrible shape. One bedroom has royal blue carpet. The other two bedrooms the carpet is varigated and in decent shape, but if I re-do the carpet, I'd probably just replace all of it.

Aside from replacing the carpet, our other option is to re-finish the hardwoods (no idea what they look like underneath. The edges seem ok, but we don't know what might be in say, the center of the room.). They do seem kind of yellow/honey color which I am not fond of.

I know a lot of people love hardwoods, but I have heard that they are noisier, colder, why bother when you're just going to cover them up with area rugs?, and that hardwoods are more suited to a larger grander home...that homes my size (cozy?) are not suited for hardwoods.

What is some of your insight? I imagine its more expensive to re-finish them also.

Comments (19)