SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Please help me dream / plan exterior changes

pbrisjar
14 years ago

I hate our house. It's just godawfully tacky. Exposed brick with stucco and a few measly "Spanish" arches. We repainted and re-roofed and that was a disaster*.

This is what it looks like now:

From HouseFront

Short-term fix is to paint the brick the white trim color.

Slightly longer-term fix is to adjust the lawn. I want to get rid of it completely as it's just a huge nuisance and a drain of time and money. We live in the far East Bay of California where summers are very windy and very hot. At minimum, we'll be cutting in around the edges and putting down some kind of rock/mulch with just a few drought-tolerant plants (not cacti though - probably salvias). The front will have a fountain - probably some version of those round tiered ones. That will go either in the middle of the lawn area (getting rid of the useless grass) or in that section to the right.

Longer-term, we will be repainting the house - probably a brown that's on the gray/purple side of things (similar to Glidden's Bronzed Ivy). Our big worry is that it will turn out looking like a bodily excrement (if you catch my drift).

Ideally the brick columns will be refaced with a stone veneer - a flagstone or slate type of look. We were thinking of a gray to black stone but if we go brown on the house I don't know about that.

The big change will be that those stupid arched columns will go away. The ideal plan is to bump out that section of the house so that it ends where the columns are now, then add on some kind of defined entrance area. In my mind it's a trellised arbor. At minimum we will reconfigure the columns to something more classic/traditional.

My ideal look is Victorian but that's obviously not going to happen here. (I tried to force it with this color scheme and obviously failed.) We seem to be tending towards a cottage type of style in other areas of the home.

Can anyone out there help me visualize all this?

*In my defense, the red was not my idea (like the color but not for the house - I wanted black accents. The red stripes on the columns were a lark as we expected to demolish them in the near future.

Here is a link that might be useful: Older, but more detailed pics of the front here

Comments (20)