SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

Blank slate- help me plan my dream kitchen!

M R
4 years ago

Hello!

I am in the planning stages of our home build. We have our floor plans basically done but are working on the kitchen and adjacent pantry and powder room. The first image is our blank slate with dimensions (note the area for powder room

and pantry is actually 7.5 ft, not 7). The second image is what I have come up with so far. I am nowhere near a kitchen planner and do plan to meet with a planner in the coming weeks. Just trying to get ideas out of my head onto paper before the meeting. Drawn to a scale of 1 block=1 foot.

Some background:

-House is a traditional farmhouse (On a farm!) Family of four.

-Trying to capture all the views I can out of the back wall (the wall I have shown the sink on). If I can, I’d like no (or few) upper cabinets on this wall and basically a wall of wIndows.

-The only thing I am firm about is having the sink on the exterior wall and no appliances in the island. Not my style.

-Not firm on much else. Not even certain about an island. If we do have an island, would like seating for 4.

-As shown, I have a shallow (-20 inch or so) reach-in pantry for our dry food storage and a second walk-in pantry that will have our deep freezer and will primarily be used to store our canning supplies and goods.

-Unsure about a door between kitchen and mudroom/pantry/powder room.

Ideas?? Want to make sure the flow is ok, walkways are handicap accessible and it is a functional layout.

Thank you so much for your input!!!

Comments (59)

• shead
    4 years ago

No pic posted.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ughh ok, I’ll try again in a few minutes. Thanks

• Related Discussions

Care to help me find my dream house plan?

Q

Comments (6)
    We built off Cool House plan chp-31382. Not a 'farm house plan' and has an attached oversize garage. The nice thing about an attached garage is with any luck, you can orient it on the west side of the house to 'hide' a sustantial part of the house behind it to minimize solar heat gain. One reason we picked this plan was the all hip roof that is stronger and gets an insurance discount here in hurricane country. Also, I wanted to go with a single level home as it's easier to manage heat gain. A 2 story is difficult to manage window and wall heat gain like you can do with a single story with oversize eaves. A metal roof or radiant barrier in the attic can compensate for the extra roof area with the single story. We've ended up with a 2000 sq ft home with an average $130 power bill (includes pumping from well). 10 foot ceilings and heat recovery unit on A/C also helps. I'd suggest you spend some extra time researching all the little things that can add up to substantial energy bill savings as you narrow your plan search. Good luck, Gary
    ...See More

A blank slate with my floor plan.....

Q

Comments (3)
    I lieks da outrageous. I get so few opportunities in RL. generally we only spend time in our family room and kitchen ... So essentially, we utilize only about ½ of our living space. Be my guess its because the way your family actually lives only needs a family room and kitchen. I added the study area and dining room and bridged those - maybe with a small sitting area or a tea-4-2 table with an upholstered chair or two. Divided the off dining area so there was some space not filled with television. Kitchen has a big "window" into the family room. Tons more storage here and there. Probably cost a ton of money too :) It might have something you like or might cause you to think about your space in a different way.
    ...See More

Kitchen Layout Help Part 2 - Blank Slate!

Q

Comments (16)
    brianadarnell -> We are good with ideas that include the sink either in the island or on the wall. As I mentioned putting the sink in the island was our original plan but a lot of feedback we have received here has made us reconsider. If the sink is going to go on a wall there will NOT be a window, so you don't need to worry about that. No need for a beverage cooler or anything like that. All nice things to have I'm sure, but we are working within a limited budget as we are building a new house and are not wealthy people. This will be a very modest kitchen compared to most that are displayed here in the forum. The 10'8" does include the pantry door...it is 8' from the pantry entrance to the exterior wall, as currently drawn. Again, the pantry door can be moved, but as long as we are keeping a walk-in pantry we need a door somewhere along that wall. davidro1 -> I definitely know what you are talking about although haven't paid particular attention to any pictures they may have depicted that. I would say the main reason we haven't considered doing that is that we felt all that extra cabinetry would cost us too much. The walk-in is basically an open room with shelving and does lend itself to possibly storing some other items. The one thing I don't like about it, is the wasted area you need to actuall walk around in there. The other reason for the walk-in is because we wanted our small freezer upstairs. desertsteph -> Sounds similar to my most recent layout I drew up. Have a look at my other layout request thread and let me know if that is what you are talking about. I don't want to post my layout in this thread again as I might influence people's ideas. As for the OTR micro, I think it will work for us for now. We have one very young son (15 months) so it will be quite some time before he needs to use a microwave and we'll worry about that then. My wife and I will have no issue accessing it. I guess to a degree we cheaped out as we weren't ready to buy a fancy S/S hood and needed a microwave anyway. A remodel in 5-10 years is not out of the question for this kitchen, but at this time we are trying to keep costs low while still trying to get something functional and good looking.
    ...See More

Help! Floor plan- Blank Slate

Q

Comments (34)
    Dilly, ultimately about the kitchen, but regarding your statement that you wanted the deck off the living room because that's the nicer side of the propery: Decks almost always block the view of the landscape beyond from inside, replacing your view of garden (or valley, marsh, etc.) with a clutter of chair backs and legs, table and legs, railing and posts, BBQ, cushion storage, and of course...decking. No matter how expensive and how well done, at the best of times it will be less attractive than what it's blocking (and in many climates a desolate unappealing wasteland in winter). Besides you'll always have plenty of chair legs, tables, etc., inside to look at. How about instead: * moving that deck elsewhere, where it has a nice view of the good end of the property from a different orientation, * taking some of the current deck space *for the kitchen,* and * having the living room feature a pretty view of your garden while still having good access to a nearby deck? (BTW, balcony-type walkways can connect doors to large open deck areas without destroying views).
    ...See More
  • shead
    4 years ago

Some questions:

1) What does the term "dream" kitchen mean to you in terms of appliances and function?

2) What is your cooking style?

3) Have you thought about having two dishwashers? We live on a working farm and since we have three meals a day in our kitchen, I'm adding second dishwasher in our upcoming remodel (part of my dream).

4) What are your thoughts on your range/ovens? Are you doing a 30" slide-in? What about a cooktop/rangetop and separate oven(s) or a 36" gas range?

5) What about a prep sink..yay or nay?

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen. I generally cook 3 meals a day at home. I feed three bottomless pits. So I value function and space to get things done. Having said that, my current kitchen is 10 x 11 and I still manage. So this is going to be a huge upgrade to me in terms of space. Since I do spend so much time there, I’d love to bring some beauty to the space too....namely the windows. As far as appliances, I’ve never cooked with gas. I know, I know it’s supposed to be a million times better and maybe it is, but I was leaning towards an induction range, 30 inches. I would also consider a cooktop with separate double wall ovens (we host large family dinners so an extra oven would be appreciated). I also considered a regular range with a separate wall oven on the wall with the reach-in-pantry. Just don’t know if that would look weird. I’ve never considered two dishwashers but I don’t hate the idea.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nay on the prep sink

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

Plot using proper wall thicknesses. When you can't, use 1/2 a square for a little bit of play. Walls are 4-1/2" minimum plus casings/trim. Older homes with plaster or plasterboard can be 1" thicker.

That powder won't work, the doors won't clear, the pantry will be significantly smaller, etc. Between the refer depth, the powder/pantry and pantry/kitchen walls you could have 2' to adjust for.

• shead
    4 years ago

My upcoming reno will include a kitchen that will be about 17.5 by 16 but it's in the corner so windows on two walls. In terms of layout, I'm considering an L-shaped layout that would likely work well in your kitchen, too.

I don't have time to draw it out but if you can imagine:

On the back wall, put the fridge on the far right then to it's left, an upper cabinet (33"-36" wide), then a 5 ft window then more uppers to the corner. For the lower cabs, center the sink on the window with dishwasher on the right and trash on the left. Put a drawer stack between dishwasher and fridge. The left of the trash, put another drawer stack.

On the left wall, center your range/cooktop between the left edge and the corner, with a drawer stack on each side. For the corner, consider a drawer stack if your cabinetmaker/cabinet line can accommodate those. On the uppers on that wall, put cabinets on each side of the range hood.

For the island, put an undercounter microwaver cabinet (24" wide) and two wide drawer stacks.

If you decide to do the double ovens, you can certainly put them on the wall adjacent to the bedroom but I'd hate for you to get that walkway too crowded since it's a main thoroughfare through your house. However, putting the double ovens there and maybe doing a wine/coffee bar with a sink area (for the few times you might need an extra sink) with glass cabinets above might be really nice :)

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like this idea Shead. My only hesitation would be it’s cutting into my window space but maybe a 5 ft window is still good enough? I like that the range could be centered this way. I’m going to give this a lot of thought!

• shead
    4 years ago

You could always have larger windows on that wall but it will cut into your upper cabinet space and you can't go too far to the left and have your sink centered. What direction does that side of the house face?

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It faces east

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Save yourself some steps! Where is the dining room? Are all meals at the island?

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I’m familiar with the work triangle, but having a hard time sorting it out in my own kitchen. Most if not all meals will be at dining room table. I‘m not even 100% on the island for that reason, but an island does seem like a natural fit in this space.

• gtcircus
    4 years ago

Can you post a plan of the house. Hallways that long for a pantry doesn’t make an sense.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’ve been trying to but for some reason the image isn’t uploading. Ugh. The entry to the pantry does bug me somewhat, just don’t know how to rearrange this area better. Open to any ideas.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

I have a 5ft bay window in my kitchen with my sink beneath. Next to it is a door to the outside. No cabinets on this wall, but a shallow wall cabinet on the short wall abutting the sink - it's for everyday glassware. I still have plenty of cabinets for dishes and food but then my kitchen has FOUR walls as it is NOT open concept. I could not live without those 4 walls. A pantry is great to stock up on non-perishables, but one does not want to have to go to a pantry to get the vanilla extract or the cocoa, or god forbid, everyday pots and pans.

I'm not a fan of islands. I never did like sitting at the counter at the drug store unless it was for an ice cream treat. For a meal, give me a chair any day! I'd kill for a big farmhouse table in my kitchen! I could sit at it to do lots and lots of cooking chores when standing is difficult for me.

Be sure your range can have a real vent hood over it - no microwave vent. They're worthless.

M R thanked Anglophilia
  • M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Any ideas of a way to make this kitchen work WITHOUT an island? I don’t think that adding a wall between living and kitchen would be out of the question.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

You need an architect before you need a kitchen designer. This house won’t live like you want it to, and that’s all due to the design. It’s a boneheaded ninnymuggins false economy to try to save money by not spending it on proper design up front. That is what saves you money in the long run.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

We don't have a door between our mudroom and back hall where we also have a powder room but if you decide to do so, I would use pocket doors. We have an outswing door on our powder room and I dislike it. I would also put a small window in the powder room.

I second the two DWs as shead suggested. There's many threads discussing this which convinced me to install two and it is one of our best decisions. It has saved us countless hours - a true time, energy and water saver.

• shead
    4 years ago

Since you live on a farm, do you also have a large garden or can/freeze vegetables? An island is a HUGE lifesaver for that. I get why some people prefer a table but give me an island any day in the kitchen :) We had a 4.5x10ish' one in our last kitchen and LOVED it. The new one will be about 4.5ish' x 9ish' and I cannot wait :)

The pantry/powder room situation is very dysfunctional and should be changed if you can. Have you tried to reduce the jpg size to upload?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

To upload, make sure your image is a jpg. Nothing else will upload.

• Chris
    4 years ago

We recently moved in and have our own dream kitchen that is very similar to your drawing... we have a 9 foot island with no appliances or sink (love it). We wrapped the island seating around one side and can seat 6 people. The end of the island nearest the stove has the largest deep drawers where we keep pots and pans (it's great). I am jealous of your pantry. If I had that, I might have even stuck the microwave in it (finding a spot for that interrupted our cabinetry...but I'm used to it now). Our architect wasn't the most helpful( should have found a new one, but he owned our plans so we couldn't take them elsewhere...we were very inexperienced). I wish we had had a designer work along side us with the architect...perhaps there are some designers out there that work in the blueprint development stage. Our first kitchen design attempt was at a building supply chain. They do the plans for free so you will purchase their cabinetry. We were able to see the spacial issues we would have and ended up with a custom build because our space wasn't standard. If you are interested, I can share some pictures. We have sort of a transitional style, but it is a bit similar to your layout.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

cp artist, it is a JPEG. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Chris, I'd love to see photos if you are willing to share. We had planned on putting the microwave in the reach-in pantry.

Silly question I know, but I have kids that tend to generate a lot of TRASH- so where to put the trash can? In the pantry? I don't think the under the cabinet garbage cans would cut it for us, honestly. Where is yours?

• shead
    4 years ago

Try emailing the photo to yourself and see if you can receive and view it correctly. Also make sure it is .jpg as the file name extension. I had trouble uploading once and even though it WAS a jpeg file, Houzz wouldn't upload it because I'd accidentally renamed the file not keeping .jpg at the end of the file name.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

Silly question I know, but I have kids that tend to generate a lot of TRASH- so where to put the trash can? In the pantry? I don't think the under the cabinet garbage cans would cut it for us, honestly. Where is yours?

Mama of 6 here.

We created a 3-tiered trash system. One small trash under (or near) the sink. One medium trash *just* outside the kitchen (ours is in our garage; I cross an 8' foyer from the kitchen to reach it, so it's totally convenient). One large bin outside for hauling to the curb.

When the small one is full, it gets dumped in the medium one. Larger items automatically go into the medium and/or large bin. Medium gets dumped in large.

I know lots of folks do it, but trashes in pantries give me the heebie jeebies. :-O Your mudroom may be a good place for a larger can, if you like the system I described.

M R thanked One Devoted Dame
  • Chris
    4 years ago

I'm happy to share. After all the stress we've been through, I'd like to make things less stressful for others. our kitchen isn't perfect by any means. I know the experts out there will be able to tell me what we should have done. I'd definitely go back in time if I could And start back at the blueprint phase where most of the issues began. But it functions very well for us And i am just glad we are finally in.

We have kids and the pull out trash below works fine. It's half way between the sink and the stove which is handy. I liked this one because it hangs and is easy to clean.

We have a drybar/ butler area in that hall behind the fridge. With the walkin pantry behind the stove wall. You have the advantage of a wall pantry as well That is going to be awesome! I included the pot drawer (which I love) and the drawers by the stove which are the perfect depth for tin foil, zip locks and the like. We are far from done with furniture and decor. hope this helps!!!

M R thanked Chris
  • Lori BEHRENS
    4 years ago

What about a layout similar to below. It allows more adjacent location for the pantry and gives you a usable 1/2 bath size. The images below show some ideas for a built-in refrigerator. Microwave drawers are more easily accessible and eliminates potential burns that may occur with the microwave above the range. It also allows for a more decorative range hood. You generally want the dishwasher adjacent to the sink base cabinet since that is how it is typically plumbed. You can always add a pull-out garbage base cabinet maybe to the left of the dishwasher (location optional). You could always put the freezer on the left wall and put a window in there, however you will lose storage space.

M R thanked Lori BEHRENS
  • M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

L behrens, that layout kind of blows my mind. I had never thought of flipping it like that. It really gives me a lot to think about. Thank you!!

Chris, BEAUTIFUL kitchen. Wow!! What would you change if you could go back? Curious since our layouts are similar! It really is stunning. Love the functional space.

Devoted dame, YYYYYESSSS you get me. That sounds like a great system. Great idea.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shead, yes we have a large garden and can all summer it seems. The walk in pantry will primarily be used for our canned goods and our canning supplies.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Chris, can you share the width of your island?

• shead
    4 years ago

Are you sure you don't want a second sink somewhere in the kitchen or the pantry? Or maybe make the pantry like a scullery with a separate sink and extra DW in there for overflow?

M R thanked shead
  • Chris
    4 years ago

Sure.... the cabinetry is 42" and the countertop is 62" wide.....

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shead, no not sure at all!! It’s definitely something to consider, especially if I can make the pantry more accessible like L behrens suggested!

• shead
    4 years ago

Ideally, I'd want that shortest wall a few more feet longer and not have to put the range and sink on the same run. L Behrens idea is interesting but it leaves you with such little space on that wall. I think it would look odd having just a fridge in that space unless you did something like a hidden pantry door so that, when closed, the kitchen looked like it made an L shape.

I hope you can get your plan posted soon.

• Chris
    4 years ago

As for changes....the drawer panels at the top of some of our cabinets are very narrow...when you grab them in a hurry...you scratch the wood. I would fix that. I would have had a bigger pantry and move the microwave in there....freeing up the cabinet design. I would have thought about where the pendants hung and had them line up better with the windows ( of course that would have meant making the kitchen longer). Mainly more symmetry. A nicer fridge(taller for sure). Handles not knobs in the butler pantry at the top. I wouldn't let the builder talk me into the sideways plug-ins again; they may look better with the backsplash, but they are a pain for me to use with some plugs. A little more thought about the bottom corner cabinet...it's a tight space, but I really don't need that space. I wish I'd put another pan cabinet....I'll send a picture of that when I can...I enjoy that. I love the deep drawers...very glad I have 6 of those.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

still trying without success to get plans posted....I’ve tried multiple computers, my phone, tried emailing it to myself....ahhhhhhh. It will let me attach it then when I click submit, the button goes light green, as if it’s uploading....but then refreshes the page with no uploaded picture.

• Chris
    4 years ago

Computers are frustrating.

Here's our pan cabinet..... wish I had more of these

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh I love that!!

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well since I CANT POST A PICTURE, you’ll have to use your imaginations, but what about... building off the plan l behrens suggested, what about the range in the center of short wall with cabinets on either side, then moving fridge to long wall, either all the way to the left near pantry opening or all the way to the right? I drew it out and think I am liking it.

• dsnine
    4 years ago

Huh, I’ve seen every picture you posted on my iPhone? Seems to work.

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Lori BEHRENS
    4 years ago

Very Nice!

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you guys so much! This has been so helpful to me. The only thing I dislike about that plan is the refrigerator being on that short wall basically by itself. I think I could get on board with it if, as someone mentioned, I could do some sort of hidden pantry door so it doesn’t look like a random fridge on a wall, but I’m not really finding any photos with a similar set up. Anywhere else I could put the refrigerator, other than that wall? Or any alternative pantry set up that would allow more space on that short wall?

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

The first picture L Behrens posted is the fridge alone on the small wall. :) I like it!

• shead
    4 years ago

Here is what my hidden pantry looked like:

• Lori BEHRENS
    4 years ago

Made a few revisions. Moved the appliances as suggested by Mama Goose! Centered the Island on the sink and windows. Kept the tall cabinets flanking the refrigerator. Added a window in the pantry if desired. Included an image for an example of a 'Hidden Door' to the Pantry. We have used these in many residential projects (ie: into wine cellars, kids play rooms, pantries, etc.)

• M R
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you so much for these! I do think that seeing it like this, the hidden door might ease my hesitations about the refrigerator placement. Please help me reconcile the range placement! I know I want a range hood. Was leaning towards wood and more of a statement piece. But the whole time I’ve been working on the kitchen, the #1 thing I wanted was a huge bay of windows. I will attempt to attach a couple of inspiration photos. I just cant really wrap my head around how the range and the hood would look and if it would bother my that the windows would be smaller and/or off centered on that wall to accommodate for the range hood. Any “real life“ pictures of a similar set up?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

If you google 'range hood between windows' you will find many examples, including these:

I'm not necessarily suggesting locating the range under a window, but you will also find examples of that:

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

Thoughts on this drawing:

- Is that half-bath 4 1/2 x 4 1/2? If so, it's too small. I strongly suggest you drop a tape measure in your purse, and every time you use a bathroom -- at the dentist's office, in your friend's house, where ever -- measure it. Develop a sense of "just right". I promise you, it won't be 4 1/2 x 4 1/2. Consider grandma using this space with a walker. If you go with a pedestal sink, it'll be a space-saver (and you don't need to store much in a half bath), but it'll still be too small.

- Still on the half-bath ... go with an in-swing here. This door, as shown, can block your hall traffic.

- While we're talking about doors, the pantry door will stay open most of the time, so I suggest a pocket door here ... if you're able to "park it" in the wall by the fridge. Why? Same reason as the half-bath: as shown, it's a traffic blocker, and with only a 3' walkway into the pantry, you don't really have room to comfortably "park the door" in that pantry entry.

- I'd like to see a pass-through door between the pantry and the kitchen. Imagine how convenient it'd be to walk into the pantry, pick out your cans and "set them through" to the kitchen countertop rather than carrying them.

- Beware of placing the freezer against a wall. Be sure you'll be able to open the door all the way.

- Will you have a cabinet near the fridge in which you can store glassware? You know you want these things close together.

- You have 4' between your island and your cabinet runs. I know this is what most people consider "just right", but I find it a little wide (then, again, I am small). Go down to Lowes with the aforementioned tape measure, and you'll see that most of their stuff is 3 1/2' apart. Decide for yourself whether you find this comfortable.

- What's the cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher?

- Your "serious cooking zone" seems to be angled towards the crook of the "L" ... as such, I'd be tempted to bump the dishwasher to the other side of the sink ... or to flip-flop the dishwasher and the sink. This would give you more storage /drawers in the spot where you'll cook most.

- In a dream kitchen, in a kitchen this big, I'd want a bigger sink. Seriously, it's the most used appliance. Go big.

- Where's your microwave? coffee pot? trash can?

- I see you have a second reach-in pantry. Unless you have some very unusual needs, I don't see the point in BOTH large pantries.

- I'd extend the mudroom wall so it "touches" the refrigerator space. This would hide the exterior door, and it would place the half bath and pantry door IN the mudroom.

Can you swap the mudroom and the pantry? A mudroom would benefit from
    windows - and maybe you could even put a door to the back yard in there.
    Of course without seeing the rest of the plan, I have no idea if that
    would make sense.

Yes! Mudroom on the corner would be nicer ... and windows in a pantry are a negative (light is the enemy of food storage).

I spend A LOT of time in the kitchen ... So this is going to be a huge upgrade to me in terms of space. Since I do spend so much time there, I’d love to bring some beauty to the space too....namely the windows.

Red flags ... a bigger kitchen is not automatically a better kitchen. What you want is an efficient, well-designed space. Who says this? A person with a very large but poorly laid-out kitchen.

No one ever says, "This room has too much natural light." Love big windows in a kitchen.

As far as appliances, I’ve never cooked with gas ... but I was leaning towards an induction range, 30 inches.

I have only limited experience with gas, but I'm not overly impressed.

I would also consider a cooktop with separate double wall ovens (we host large family dinners so an extra oven would be appreciated). I also considered a regular range with a separate wall oven on the wall with the reach-in-pantry. Just don’t know if that would look weird. I’ve never considered two dishwashers but I don’t hate the idea.

Before you start adding in extra this and oversized that, consider that all these extra appliances drive up your space requirements ... especially since you've already said you want the large windows /thus will be giving up some upper cabinets. How often will these things really be used? Will they "earn their keep"? I doubt it.

but maybe a 5 ft window is still good enough?

A 5' window is nice, but it isn't going to give you the sweeping views /light that I think you were pining for earlier.

Are all meals at the island?

No love for your island seating. Take the family down to Waffle House for a meal and sit at the bar. Did you interact much? Did you enjoy this seating pattern? An island is a great place to sit while you work, and it's a great place for a child to sit ... but it's NOT a great place for family meals.

I like this pantry /half bath layout better than the OP's original. I'd put a pegboard for storing cast iron pans and utensils on that blank pantry wall.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

I only have 1 comment. I find that adjacent seating at an island is more conversational than lining up diner-style.