SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Change of window plans, help please?

We are remodeling the ktichen in our 1926 French Revival house. We had planned to replace these high set original windows over the sink.

We wanted to do three bigger windows. First time my GC discussed the project with the city permitting staff they said no problem. But when he went to pull the permit, the city engineer said because we would be widening the opening in the wall we would need to make structural changes. This would add 6k in costs. Too much for us.

We kicked around the alternatives and have decided to keep the original windows. This is a cost savings (always a plus) and means the windows will continue to suit the house exactly rather than just being close. (Trying to see the positive here.) We can and will move them down so I can see out of them better and open them more easily.

Here's a rough elevation showing how that wall would look if we line up the bottom of the window sills with another existing original window in the to-be annexed laundry space.

This leaves a fair bit of wall space around those windows--two feet on the right until you will hit a wall and two feet on the left to the end of the sink run of cabinets. I do not want to put wall cabinets up there. But I think it's too much space to leave blank. What do you think? Sconces on each side of the windows? Maybe double sconces? Would that be enough light for the sink area--I'm considering not doing any recessed lighting? Or maybe open shelves for glasses? Or both sconces and shelves?

Is there too much wall space above the windows? They could be higher, but then the sills won't line up. Unless we used part of the savings from not buying windows to also move the other window up.

Maybe sconces mounted above the sink windows and shelves on each side?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to adjust the design with this window change.

Comments (22)