SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Should we put tarpaper under our hardwood floor?

raehelen
16 years ago

(I also posted this on the flooring forum- but though there might be higher traffic here)

Our Tigerwood was delivered last week. Tomorrow, Monday, it gets installed in kitchen and dining room. (rest of house later). My DH would like to know if we could put the green foam (which we have for our laminate flooring which hasn't been laid yet)underneath it to help deaden sound. Kitchen will be on upper floor, and we are concerned about the sound we'll hear in the finished basement underneath.

Second question. Our KD (who we also bought the flooring from) used to install hardwood floors, and she suggested that we lay down tarpaper on top of subfloor before the hardwood gets installed. She said it makes a cleaner surface, and then something about moisture (but neither DH or I can actually remember the exact reasons). Has anyone else ever heard of this or done it themselves? Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated. (I mean we have nothing better to do all day Sunday than go out and buy and then staple down tarpaper! :>)

Comments (5)