SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derrick26

Question on house flipping

derrick26
17 years ago

I realize that in most areas of the country (except CA perhaps) house flipping isn't a good idea as the market slows down. However where I live in the northeast while homes aren't moving quickly (we never had the boom that most places experienced) there are a lot of first time home buyers and also retirees looking to downsize. So starter homes can be profitable.

Around here most don't fix up there home to sell it so most starter homes (under $100,000) aren't updated and leave a lot to be desired. I have a great job but am looking for something to do as a hobby and hopefully a little extra income. I don't want to make this a business but I have skills in electrical and plumbing, roofing, and of course I can paint and install wood or laminate flooring. I enjoy do-it-yourself projects and have recently came across two homes for sale that "sound" like good deals. Most first time home buyers don't the money to take a dump and fix it up if the home needs more than paint and carpet. Also retirees aren't looking for a home that is in worse shape than the one they are selling (too much work). Recently I helped my younger sister in her house hunting. She was looknig at homes under $80,000 and the results were pathetic! The homes either had major structural problems, were infested by insects, were bank forclosures that were all torn up inside, or homes where the person lived there 50 years adn died and the family is selling the home without updating any of the 40+ year old carpet, cabinets, etc. And they thought the house was worth a fortune.

So while I've heard that you make money on flipping a house by getting a great deal on what you buy it for, and I understand that but what if you can buy a house for close to its appraised value (as it sits now) and with some nice work (that I would do myself)you could turn around and place it for sale say for $90,000 which would make me a nice profit) and the house would be competing against other homes in that price range that are the old, outdated, or destroyed insect infested forclosures. I would think a buyer would snatch up a house that has been freshly painted, with nice flooring, brand new appliances, everything passes inspection, and has curb appeal as opposed to the rest of the homes in that same price range that aren't as desirable. Am I thinking correctly about this? Doesn't the price range you could eventually advertise/sell the house in make it a good buy?

Comments (9)