SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Please help me choose a lamp

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

I just can't seem to get my act together with many partially finished rooms as one element depends on another and is also dependent on whether my walk in closet in the living room can be made into a mud room. I will hopefully get this accomplished sometime in June so in the meantime I am starting on a refresh of my master bedroom.

I am very traditional in my decorating style and want to use crystal bedside lamps as I consider crystal a neutral. I love, love, love the Waterford Kells lamp. It is very understated and would look great in my room. I love the brass base and like the lamp shade a lot.

While looking at various lighting sites I saw a version of the ubiquitous crystal sphere lamp. The style is much more transitional to contemporary. I don't understand why I am so drawn to a lamp that is, imo. very trendy. The lamp is much less expensive but I love it and also think the pull chains would make it easier for me to turn the lamp on and off. I am just not sure if the Crystal spheres would look good in my room as the other furnishings are very traditional.

I will post a pic of both. Thanks in advance.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (55)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting your pic Sandy. I love your lamp, it is prettier than the sphere lamp that I posted from Lampsplus. I love the Kells lamp but not the price, however at my age I tend to get what I like unless it's way over the top price wise.

Your coverlet on your bed is lovely. May I ask where it is from? I need to find a new one for my bedroom and I seem so drawn to a matelassé style.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

PB has nice matelasse coverlets. Are they still on sale???

• Related Discussions

Can You Help Me Choose a Floor Lamp Style

Q

Comments (2)
    bronwynsmom, Thank you for posting the link. I really like that style, and the price is reasonable. Question - It's also offered in antique nickel, and I have nickel fixtures throughout that space and accenting the stove. I haven't any bronze, so I'm curious why that's the finish you suggested. Do you think it's a better choice with the chair? To your eye is it better to mix it up and introduce another finish than to try to match?
    ...See More

Help me choose a lamp shade

Q

Comments (6)
    Pretty lamp. Best way to choose a shade is take the lamp to a lamp shade store and try them on....there's no way to know without actually seeing it as so much matters...the height of the harp, the shape of the shade the height of the shade the width of the shade the color of the shade, etc. When you see it on the lamp, you'll know if it's right or not.
    ...See More

Can You Help Me Choose A Lamp

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh such a cozy room! Just beautiful. I'd pick a table lamp, since you have 2 floor ones already.. And I'd make it totally different..no reason for it, except that I like all the lamps to be different:) And you already clearly love eclectic-so why not to have fun. Just make sure it gives a light you love Because one of mine-a torchiere- was a bit dim and yellow. And we changed it for a bright white. And I found it impossible to read there-it hurt my eyes. So we changed it again for dim and yellow..:) And I'd look for something that you can direct differently..like your black one? I love it by the way. I found an old vintage tole light on Etsy I think..now I can read in bed, at last. Because nice but ambient light that was on the nightstand before didn't work, and overhead light is not enough at some point. I like this small tole light..the only problem it gets really hot, after some time..so I need to remember not to touch the shade when directing it.
    ...See More

Help me choose the right floor lamp!!

Q

Comments (21)
    James, a history of your comments shows that you're mostly interested in promoting the replica MCM items sold at Manhattan Home Design. You wouldn't happen to work there or own the store, or be friends or partners (personally or professionally) with someone who is, would you? Also, there have been more than a dozen BBB complaints in the past three years about the store you've been recommending, which I would find problematic if I were looking to buy something there. Also, your recent posts in this thread and others sound very similar to some by Gabriella Robbins and Daniel Blake, who are also promoting MCM replica furniture in general, and the store in particular. Are all of you friends or partners in this venture?
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

The Kells is pretty, and it is classic.

The tough thing with GW popular opinion though, is we tend to like what is most in style at a point in time. Which is not always what you might want.

So no one will ohh and ahh over the Kells, but that doesn't mean it isn't lovely and right for your space.

• Sandy1963
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay, if I remember right, I bought the coverlet and shams close to 10 years ago from again, JCPenney, lol. I tend to order from them a lot!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I am definitely NOT one for trendy. I like traditional and conservative, so esp. expensive things will 'Keep their lines".

I just think that Kells lamp looks "old lady" to me. However, what I think matters not one whit. If she loves it, she should get it. I'm also a believer in, you know it when you see it and should respond to that instinct.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I'm an old lady. Not sure what that means in terms of decorating, though.

• aputernut
    10 years ago

Here's a few at Overstock, really pretty to..

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i love the kells lamp, but then again, i love many of the waterford styles... not so crazy about the shade tho- i would switch that out!

i prefer sandy's lamp to the other one you posted--- the one you posted looks like acrylic in the picture, which is influencing my reaction--- i think that that lamp would look much better in person.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Tib. No your opinion wasn't harsh at all, just honest. Maybe the reason I love the Kells lamp is that I am an old lady. Just hit the big 60 in September. I like the PB lamp but I think it is more transitional in style.

I love that Sandy and Tib posted lamps so please if you have other ideas please post them!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

From what I recall of other photos, your home is very traditional and you even say so in your post. And you said you love the Kells lamp and the shade. So I think it would be a good choice for you. It's not what I would pick but then I'm more transitional. And for a bedroom I could even see a little bronze or brass, especially if it goes with some trim on your furniture or if you just like it. I do love the pull chains on bedroom lamps though. I am so lazy!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

can you put up a pic of the room? Might help with ideas for lamps.

And hey, there's cool old lady, gracious old lady, hot-ticket old ladyâ¦and then there's dowdy old lady, Aunt Bee old ladyâ¦

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outside, thank you for your post. I am lazy too so I really find the pulls a great addition to a lamp. There is a Dale Tiffany crystal lamp that is more traditional in style with pull chains but I think the Kells lamp is prettier and I love brass so unless something else pops up I am sticking with it.

Mtn, I'm glad you think the Kells is pretty. I do think it has a timeless appearance and I like the simplicity of it. The brass accent is a big plus for me as well.

Sandy, your room is so pretty so I am going to look at JCP in addition to all of the other on line sources I have been looking at.

Busybee I like a lot of the Waterford lamps but as soon as I saw the Kells I thought that it was the one that seemed perfect.

Aputernut, thanks so much for taking the time to post the Overstock lamps. I never even thought of checking there and they seem to have many nice items.

Andee, I am with you in the age department. I guess I decorate like an old lady but that's ok with me. I feel blessed to own the years I have lived!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tib, I will never be the old Aunt Bea type of old lady I still can rock a pair of heels and a pencil skirt but I much prefer leggings and flats from a comfort POV. I guess the only people who think I am cool are my children and grands!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tib, I was at the shop when you asked for a pic of the room. I can't post from our good camera as DH lost both my additional battery and charger for it and the other battery died so I apologize in advance if my pics appear upside down. My darn iPad seems to do that on a regular basis. Keep in mind that the horrid lamps currently on the bedside tables are being gifted to anyone brave enough to own them. The wall on the left side of the bed is a privacy wall and it makes our small master br appear even smaller but the pic will be a reference for my style. I am also going to replace the bedspread and add drapes to the windows. The current wall to wall carpeting will be replaced with sapele hardwood in the next year. The bedroom furniture stays. Bedside tables are cherry. The bed is mahogany in a tobacco stain.

{{!gwi}}

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, I am sorry, but I think that Kells lamp is too Aunt Bee for an "old lady" who can still rock a pair of heels and pencil skirt! Especially the shade. (I seemed to have lit a fuse with my "old lady-ish" comment!).

An old lady in heels, a pencil skirt, and walking a poodle should have something like this on each side of her bed! Matching mini chandeliers!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it didn't show up. I'll try again.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, now that I see your room, I think the crystal lamps are way too contemporary.

What about a mercury glass lamp, kind of a hybrid of antique and contemporary?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I love the Kells Waterford. Buy it and if you don't like it, send it to me and I will just make sure no one else has to suffer the ugly thing.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol Tib. They are way too trendy for me! Granted my bedroom is Aunt Bea-ish now and I probably should go with something that has more flair but the hanging chandies aren't for me, though I would probably fall in love with them in someone else's home.

I love this Kinzig lamp but I don't want pattern on the shade. Also the price is a killer unless I can find a site with free shipping. I would hate to spend this much on a lamp x 2 and have to replace the shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: How about this?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

ya! That lamp is beautiful and would look fantastic in your room, IMO.

But the priceâ¦.gasp!

You posted the pic after I posted the chandyâ¦I nixed the idea as soon as I saw your pic.
    Love that Laura Lamp! Including that beautiful shade!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, May 6, 14 at 19:43

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patricia, I do love that lamp. It is simple and elegant. I knew the crystal sphere lamp was too contemporary for my room but I had to have confirmation. You all are my "go to" decorators.

Tib, I really like that lamp but it is too tall or at least appears that way in the pic. I am also not fond of the lamp shade on it. The picture I posted doesn't show my room well. The furniture is a bit more formal than it appears, probably because of the coverlet.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Well, I think the Kells lamp has an understated elegance and would enhance the style of your room. Providing it's not too large in size. If your room and the lamp are "old ladyish" then my 30 something year old daughter -who also can rock a pencil skirt and heels- and her entire home is OL! BTW as an "old lady" I hate that term.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about this?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or this?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or this

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Hmmmmâ¦.this one could work.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Hmmm,I think I keep picking buffet lamps (i.e.: tall). Good for reading in bed, though.

FYI: I do not think your bedroom furniture is "old lady" at all.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tib, thanks for all of the lovely lamps you posted. I read in bed a lot so it's very important to have decent lighting. I love the first lamp you posted in this last group but it definitely is a buffet style lamp. I also love the Waterford desk lamp posted. I have my eye on that for my office when I get to that room.

Peegee, the understated elegance is exactly how I saw the Kells lamp. I love a simple elegance and this really fits the bill. I think we need to change the term old lady to gal (gracefully aging ladies).

My bedside chests are 30.5 inches tall and the top of my mattress is 31 inches so they are in great alignment. It's very easy to reach items on the chest and to turn the lamp on and off.

The Kells lamp is still in the running, actually in front place. I am thinking of doing either an ivory matelassé coverlet or a pale blue and white print. I am considering the PB Matine toile, and a few others but not sure how blue will look with the beige walls..

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Seeing the room, I say Kells. Or maybe something Lenox?

I always loved this bedding, which has a matelasse-esque texture. I have something similar form them in totally different color and pattern.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I really like the Kells lamp.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love Pine Cone Hill! That is just the look I had in mind. Thanks Mtn!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Very lovely room, Holly-Kay! My opinion about the lamps is that any sort of crystal without a metal or "hard" /opaque material will get sort of lost with the furniture.

If you love the Kells lamp, get it! I can see it working well, since it has the brass. You really need to surround yourself with what you personally love. Not one of us is going to be in your bedroom, and don't let us be in your head. Don't worry about anything being dated. Worry about what will make YOU smile.

This post was edited by anele on Wed, May 7, 14 at 6:38

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I too love the Kells lamp and think it will fit beautifully in your room.
    There is nothing "old lady" about good design.

• User
    9 years ago

I have always liked the Waterford Kells lamp. It is tall enough to be useful. (In my experience people often have lamps that are not tall enough for reading in bed or sitting on a sofa or chair). It's also very pretty, and of the two I think it be perfect for your night stands. I like the symmetrical arrangement you have In the room. Since everything else will be in pairs, you may consider changing the mirror in the right side to match the left, or vice versa. I am 57 and not far behind you....I love your comment that you own your years and feel exactly the same way :-)

Although I don't think them suitable for your room, I consider the stacked acrylic ball lamps timeless, not trendy, as they were first introduced in the 1960's and have been in and out of favor since then. Sometimes a few touches of something different is what "makes" a traditional room, be it a more contemporary lamp, a rustic artifact or unusual antique.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

holly-kay,

You know me and eBay...I have put a link below to pairs of Waterford lamps there. You'll see one pair for $325 that are 34" tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Page of Waterford lamp pairs

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CRL, thank you.

Anele, I agree. Life is too short to not have what makes you smile!

Marji, my thoughts exactly that the design is very good. This particular style has beautiful lines.

KSWL, Oh yes the mirrors are my nemesis. The one on the left is an antique, in perfect condition, and belonged to my DM. I have been searching for years to find a matching mirror to no avail. I have finally given in and admitted defeat. The refresh of my br is the perfect time to rehome it. I am planning on using it in the library. The other sweet mirror is also an antique that belonged to my DH's DGM and I am planning on using that one in a guest bathroom. I have been looking for mirrors for several months and I am shocked at the price of a quality mirror in a style that complements my room. Hopefully I can find something that doesn't run thousands of dollars each because I refuse to spend that much on mirrors that serve as decorative pieces only.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh My3dogs, I forgot to thank you for posting the lovely Waterford lamps from e-bay. I found one Kells lamp there several weeks ago for hundreds of dollars less than other sites but there was only one being offered for sale and I was concerned that the lampshade wouldn't match getting them from different vendors and I hadn't made up my mind yet. Now I could kick myself because I could have swapped out the lampshades with money left over with the savings.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay, what are the approximate dimensions of the mirror on the left?

• User
    9 years ago

I'll ooh and ahh over the Kells Lamp. I think it's gorgeous and very traditional.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anele, the mirror is 30 inches high x 19 inches at the widest dimension.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer shot so you can see the detailing.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I do not think the first choice is too contemporary at all. Then look what I happened to find online.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmarene, I am in love with the beautiful room you posted! Is it yours? It really is TDF lovely!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The Kells lamp is gorgeous. It's too traditional and formal for me, but it doesn't strike me as old lady at all. I'm 69, but I don't think it's an age thing so much as a style and a house where it will fit in and feel at home.

That room Emmarene posted is gorgeous. For me it's the right mix. I wouldn't go looking for that bed, but all that stuff together? I'd take it in a heartbeat.

• kellienoelle
    9 years ago

I agree with Linelle, beautiful but a bit too traditional for me. I think that crystal will look lovely in your room to add a bit of sparkle and lightness. I like the one that Tibbrex posted at 21:17, the mercury glass one, and LOVE the too expensive one that you posted with the floral shade.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Very beautiful mirror! I just re-read that you are going to move it, so I guess no point in finding a match . . .but I think we could for less than you think.

Just an example-- this does need some work, a little too big, and is not as nice, but it's $127:

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Make sure they are tall enough. So many lamps are too short these days!!!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anele, thanks for posting the mirror. I am going to move my DM's lovely mirror. It breaks my heart to do it but my mismatched mirrors have been a thorn in my side for years. I am now looking for a pair of mirrors to replace the ones I have. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg because there is still this little mustard seed of hope that someday I will find a match to DM's mirror. I will then move it back into my br and pass the other mirrors to one of my children. So please keep the mirrors coming in regards to ideas. Thanks again for our help, I appreciate your efforts!

• User
    9 years ago

Holly, the close up of that mirror is gorgeous, I love the shape and it is just the right combination of gold and dark. Anele's mirror is a pretty good match if the sizes are close. I know what you mean about something being a thorn in your side, though. I have two (licensed) reproductions of paintigs that I really love because of the colors and subject matter, but every time I see them I want to replace them with original artwork...it's silly, I guess, but it bugs me!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KSWL,I love the mirror so much. My DM had it hanging over a marble topped antique table in her beautiful foyer. It is so heavy and well made which is why I have haunted antique shops and on-line sources for years to find another one. I am going to replace with something inexpensive for now. I am counting on the "as soon as you settle for something, what you really want becomes available" principle. What do you think of this mirror from Horchow?

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow Felicie mirror