SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

Why it pays off to De-clutter and Clean

ladynimue
15 years ago

Our 4th showing was last night and they are expected to present an offer this evening. (we went 12 days with no showings, I was getting nervous! DOM 30 days now, average is 60 and we're in a good sellers market) They were here about 20min and did not ask for a 2nd viewing (in case anyone remembers the thread about making offers after only 1 viewing). Fingers crossed!

I have to point out that the best advice I've received from this forum was to declutter and CLEAN. It was a huge pain to pack up and haul off half our stuff to storage, and it's hard to keep a house with 3 boys tidy, but we've done it - and good thing because we've had practically no notice for any of our showings.

The 1st we got 2 hours notice, not a problem, never heard back from them.

2nd showing was the 'crazy, no-shoes' lady who wanted to low-ball everyone in town and was impressed that I was shoe-less and that my floors were clean - she and my agent just knocked on my door, no notice.

3rd showing was 12 days ago and they gave 45min. notice, but I only got 5min. notice because I was out of reach. They said they wanted to make an offer contingent on the sale of their town home but never did follow through

And this 4th also wanted to come over with no notice, in the evening, but I was out & their RA didn't want to wait for mine to get the key - so they scheduled for the next morning then re-scheduled for last evening.

It was SUCH a relief not to be ashamed or worried about the condition of my home when we got the surprise visits. Pretty much all I had to do was swap the fresh towels for the used, minor stuff like that (but only had time to do that for 2 of the 4 showings).

Another great thing about having a de-clutterd and clean home is that my RA was impressed. He's made it clear that he's excited because our home shows so well and that makes it easier for him to relay his enthusiasm to potential buyers. It also makes it easier for him to justify our top-dollar price - *almost* top dollar, I also listened to advice about correct pricing, so I listed just under what our comps homes are asking.

Other advice I listened to - fresh paint in every room, new carpet, and finishing our kitchen remodel. Our comps changed from about 15-20% higher because of these updates and others we made during the last 4 years.

Now I'll just wait for our 1st offer and see if it truly pays off in terms of $$$ :)

Comments (5)