SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilydilly_gw

I'm de-cluttering 'Indifference'

lilydilly
15 years ago

Hi, I read something on another site that really stuck in my mind. It said something like:

Life is too short to fill our spaces with things we feel indifferent about.

Well, it got me thinking about the stuff I have in our home and while I've often asked myself "Do I love it? Do I hate it?", I've never actually applied the criterion of "Am I indifferent towards it?"

Over the past few years I've de-cluttered to the point that the only decorative items we have are the ones that I never mind dusting, because it is always a pleasure to pick them up and hold them even to dust them. it means we have just a a few only but that's a great feeling, to actually enjoy dusting.

Also, I love our sheets so much I never mind making the bed, or changing and washing the sheets because they simply feel so good.

But I've realised there are still things in our home that simply inspire "indifference"... things that are just "there", in the background, not jarring the senses, but not inspiring them either.

I've started thinking about how I can change this. My list so far includes;

Coffee mugs that don't make me want to hold them with 2 hands. There are some mugs that I always reach past to get to the ones I love the feel of. My DH always goes for certain mugs because he likes the way the handle feels. Why are we keeping the ones we avoid? The thick boring ones? Not for visitors, as I give them our nice ones too. I keep them just because they are coffee mugs and I don't hate them. They can go now because I'm "indifferent" to them.

Music: you know the cd's we hang onto because they have some great songs, even though the rest are just so-so. And others that are all great except for a couple that we detest? I've decided to download all my favourites, only the ones that bring me out in goosebumps and get rid of the rest.

Perfume and lotions etc: I have some that is ok and doesn't smell awful, but doesn't exactly make me close my eyes and take me to another place. I love the smell of coconut and citrus, and it always makes me feel good, so why do I hang onto the lavender and rose ones I was given? I don't hate them, but neither do I look forward to a bath just so I can smell them. I do with the coconut and citrus ones. So the others can all go to a friend who IS passionate about lavender and roses.

Photos. I only want to keep the ones that I look at over and over again. Out go the photos that are just photos and nothing else.

I love setting the table when I use my bright orange Mexican style cloth. My other beige one? I actually make myself use it sometimes because... well, it's a good cloth isn't it? So how come I use the orange one as often as I can?. Because the other one I feel indifferent about. It can go now, I see.

I'm hoping to apply this criterion to lots more things as I come across them and above all, when I'm shopping.

The real test will come with going through my closet. How many things do I have that are just "there" because I don't actually DISlike them, but neither do I feel really good about.

This is probably an old concept to a lot of you, but I feel like I've discovered a whole new way of looking at things. I've used the rule "if you don't love it or use it, out it goes". But I've also realised that I've usually thought in terms of ...if I hate it, out it goes. Counting "indifference" as a rule for getting rid of something is going to alter my perception a whole lot, I think.

No longer will so-so, ho-hum and o-kay be keepers.

Anyway, I'm excited about my belated new year resolution and would love to hear what others think and of what makes you feel "indifferent" and how it works for you.

Cheers from Lily

Comments (21)