SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bustergordon_gw

Just got home inspection...I'm overwhelmed

bustergordon
13 years ago

We've gotten the home inspection report for the house that we're buying. To be honest, I'm overwhelmed and not sure how to interpret stuff. The home was built in 2003, and the report is 44 pages of seems to be alarming stuff. I'm not sure whether I should be worried, or whether the inspector was just very very detailed. We've been informed by the seller's agent that the sellers will not be fixing anything nor giving us a credit on anything, because they are losing money on the deal. I'm left with trying to figure out whether we should continue on with this or not.

The problems fall into a few main buckets, and here are the highlights:

* Electrical - all of the breaker boxes are missing the covers. It's not clear that the right types of fuses have been used - it says something about them not being AFCI combination fuses. I have no idea what that means. The wiring is exposed in the attic. My dad is concerned that perhaps the wiring in the house is not sufficient, which is why the breaker covers are missing - things are always being tripped, so maybe they've rip the covers off for ease.

* Plumbing - there are 2 water heaters combined together in the attic, with no pan. The water heaters have no drain pipes or sediment traps, and the vent is broken and held on with duct tape. There's corrosion damage indicating leaking. Water heaters are improperly strapped.

* Framing - framing is notched in places and in need of plates for shoring, and not strapped (we live in Southern California, so we're earthquake prone).

* Roofing - the various vents seem to have improper roof cladding, which could lead to leaking, and the roof needs flashing

* Fireplaces - neither is built to code, and both require substantial repairs (one is wood framed, so we need to cut into the wall and remove the wood from the fireplace area and has too small a tube, so we need to make the fire box smaller, and the other one needs to be completely replaced).

With all of this, I'm not sure whether I have the world's worst built house, or whether this is pretty standard, and I've got the world's most thorough inspector. I've got no context! Can anyone help? I'm also completely unaware of how much stuff costs to repair, so any guidance would be totally appreciated.

Comments (34)