SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluemoon2_gw

New house, but got off to bad start...can you help?

bluemoon2
15 years ago

I'm so upset. My DH and I moved into a new house in mid-May. It's about 3000 sq ft, much larger than our previous homes. I felt overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done, especially choosing a living room arrangement and new furniture. I stopped into a design shop and the designer said she'd come to my home and work on my projects for $85 an hour and can get furniture from certain manufacturers at cost plus 40%. Being very naive about this business and a very trusting person, I said okay. She came to our house and took a few measurements, chatted about this and that, and gave me a few ideas. I told her my concern with cost and she said she'd be very quick and efficient with her time. I gave her a check for $400, thinking/hoping she would be worth it. A couple of days later I got worried and asked her to stop working on my project and let's talk about what was done. We met and she reviewed what she did and said it has cost me $470, to date. I couldn't believe it. All she gave me was a super-simple floor plan for the living room, some printouts of various beds (some of which weren't the style I'd asked for), some picture of chairs (not all swivel like I asked), and some pictures of lighting fixtures. I questioned her time spent on this (it seems I could have done it much quicker) and she said that's what it took her. I said I'd review her work and get back to her. What do I do now??? My husband said to cut my losses and put it behind me. I went to another design store yesterday and the owner said that they work for free; their clients usually like their suggestions well enough to purchase from them.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals