SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

What Would You Do: Painters Got Paint on Awning... Won't Come Off

User
11 years ago

I'm more than annoyed. The painters who painted all our outside trim got dabs pf paint all along the front edge of the awning over our bedroom deck and it won't come out. We've used these people before and had no problems with their work.

Our awning is mounted to the rafter ends from hangers that go up into the soffit under the eaves. It was rolled up in the retracted position so they could paint the soffit and moulding on the house. The guy was apparently trying to get as much of the soffit painted as possible with the awning in place --- it's not really possible to remove the awning--- and got dabs of paint at intervals all along the length of the outside edge.

The awning is made of the very stiff Sunbrella that is much heavier than the upholstery grade stuff cushions are made from. The awning maker sent me an extra piece of material for us to paint so we could try various methods of cleaning it. NOTHING removes this paint. We used goof off and a special latex paint remover from the paint store, neither of which removed even half of the paint daubs and left an oily ring around them that actually looked worse. Detergent and water, Dawn liquid detergent, bleach, you name it, it doesn't work.

The awning is just about 1 year old. It was just over $3500. There is no way to "fix" it. The painters are local people who basically live from job to job and could not offer any redress if they wanted to. The awning still works, but it's appearance is definitely diminished by the paint daubs across the front. What should I do? Anything? Write bad reviews on sites like kudzu? Chalk it up to the standard of available labor in rural Georgia and just move on?

Ironically, I have always resisted importing service companies from a nearby large city, preferring to keep our dollars local. This is where our business is and where our livelihood is earned so it only seems fair to keep our own business here, too. I have occasionally been painfully aware that we could have gotten better service and/or products if we'd contracted out elsewhere, but have had a more sanguine attitude. For some reason this is really bugging me, even though it's not the most expensive mistake a workman has made here. What say you? Anyone with a similar experience? Shall I just shut up and get over it?

Because of the way the light was striking when I took these you cannot see the dabs on the darker stripes in these photos, but they are as every bit as noticeable as these in person. ÃÂ They're on every stripe, here are a few:

Comments (38)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would go to the craft store and buy bottles of acrylic paint to match the awning colors and paint over the drips, all the while fuming about it. Covering them won't make them disappear, but it may make them less visible, especially on the dark stripes. Then I would chalk it up to sh!t happening.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I agree with Gray, and btw, you have got to be LIVID. I think touching them up with paint is your best bet. Once you do that, it will only be noticeable to you.

It reminds me of the time we set up the Christmas tree on our new wood floors. Because the tree so heavy, the stand put a 6" scratch on the floor. I touch it up with wood floor markers and I can't tell it's even there unless I look closely at the floor.

• Related Discussions

Won't You Come Dine With Us! Room 5 Done!

Q

Comments (16)
    Oh Boy! You folks are really putting on a feast! Everything sounds so yummy! I copied your recipe TM Diana I so wish we had the extra bucks to outfit a proper kitchen. This one will be CLEAN and functional. Vikki please post what spoon bread is? Annette, the kitchen may be finished next week, I do hope so, I've worked on it for several days and I'd love to have it checked off in the done column. Oh My! We need recipes! Everything sounds so darn yummy! Blackberry Jelly! OH YUM! I'll make some bread as soon as the electric is turned on in the kitchen! Leasa
    ...See More

Help! White residue won't come off.

Q

Comments (6)
    I do have a pebble tec type finish called Pearl. My contracter says not to worry about it, it is just leaching out from the plaster and it is normal and should even out. I hope he's right cause right now it does not look so good. It only shows up in bright light, and photos probably won't show it because of water reflection. At night it looks perfect. Perhaps I am worrying for nothing, time will tell. And yes I blamed DH first. I also had to drain the water down a few feet to have some stone work added around the perimeter. When the white stuff is dry it wipes off like white chalk. The contractor said I could use diluted muriatic acid and spray it but that would be a lot of work.
    ...See More

Hacked off my painter, now what?

Q

Comments (49)
    I was born and raised in MS and now live in Louisiana so I am a southern lady through and through. Beyond that, my dad was a shovenist (can't remember how to spell it but you know what I mean). He believe woman should be inside barefoot and pregnant. My husband on the other hand is not at all. Without trying to catch rath of the board, I do think your dh was partially right. Yes, you should be able to chew the painter out in front of anyone. The problem is that there are some out there that are pigs and it will only cause more trouble to do so in front of their son. Seems to me your painter could fit into the pig category. Of course, this shouldn't be the case but it might have helped that the kid wasn't present and your dh or other contractor do the fussing. Right or wrong sometimes doesn't matter. In the end, you wanted them to do a better job and if he is a pig that doesn't want a woman telling him what to do then it would probably make matters worse rather than better. Having said that, I know what should be done but I would have tossed that pig out on his curly tail. I never back down, even when I probably should, and being that I am a large woman 6' tall, I usually get my way. Dh just shakes his head when he sees that light in my eyes and my walking off with that look. So you see, I don't fault you but at the same time I do understand your dh. I hope the paint is now finished correctly and you are enjoying life.
    ...See More

Antiquing shiny brass faucet: lacquer WON'T come off - help!

Q

Comments (30)
    I know this is an old post, but I just have to thank you for sharing — I was seriously contemplating trying the same thing as you because the faucets I want in unlacquered brass are so expensive. Good to know it likely wouldn’t work!!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that is something I never considered, gray. Since we have that extra fabric I will try the craft paint. And the fuming :-)

• lebwhite
    11 years ago

I use a stain remover called versatle for all sorts of odd stains. The bridal shop where I bought my daughters wedding dress uses it on their dresses, so far it has worked on everything, but I have not tried it on anything black. I googled to find it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I googled versatile and what came up is a type of oxyclean stain remover with that name. Is that what you are referring to, lebwhite? I actually have some of that and will try it, even though this paint is not really a stain, per se. It has infiltrated into the fabric itself.... We couldn't even scratch off any with a toothpick.

What really makes me livid is that a $2 piece of plastic could have prevented this.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hollysprings, I wish I could joke about it... Not "there" yet.

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

It's just unbelievable they didn't cover it with tarp. I know it's nice to support locally in a small town, but I might reconsider if I were you in the future. What did they say about it?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They sure were sorry. ...they offered to come and douse it with Goof Off, which I knew from our experiments would end up making it worse. These aren't bad people but one of them thought he was so good he didn't need to protect anything in the painting area. That's an obvious over-estimation of his ability.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

They messed up. They should compensate you either with a professional cleaning or a new awning! I would be sick with disappointment.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far, nothing will clean off the paint. They cannot afford to replace the awning.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

did you try rubbing alcohol?

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

You certainly could easily get a judgement against them in court (simple to do, no cost to you) for the cost of a new awning if no cleaning process removes the spots. If they have nothing you wouldn't get your money, but it would make them think twice about doing this to some other customer. I think you are a much nicer person than I would be in the same circumstances. (:

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, but have not tried peroxide, thanks for jogging my memory for that!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I assume you've checked, but don't they don't have insurance? I, too, support local workers but make sure they are bonded and/or insured at least. I don't want some worker falling off a ladder and suing ME! If you can't fix it, and they don't have insurance, then maybe they'd agree to make payments to you for a new one? Even $100 a mo is affordable for most and you'd have your $ in ...oh...3 years :(

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

Never ever have people working at your home without asking to see their insurance coverage first. Not only Workman's Comp which is an absolute must, but also a general liability policy which would cover for negligence, damage, etc. that they caused.

• Jbrig
    11 years ago

Ugh, sorry you're having such problems. Have you tried a stain remover called Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner? My MIL recommended it to me, and it did remove some tough stains from some of my laundry. You can find it at Walmart, Dollar General or The Dollar Tree.

The bottle I have looks like this:
    http://www.stain-removal-101.com/las-totally-awesome-all-purpose-cleaner-review.html

When I was Googling for a link to send you, I saw that the same company makes a laundry pre-treatment, also, but I have been using the All-Purpose formula on my laundry w/ good results. Generally I can just spray it on the stain and throw it in the wash, but for the tough spots, I spray it on the stain, let it soak in, then blot w/ a white rag, and repeat as needed.

Glad you have a sample piece to practice on. Hopefully you'll find an effective solution soon. Let us know what works!

• User
    11 years ago

That just sucks. Why on earth they didn't cover it with paper? Grrr....and some of these trades people wonder why homeowners will watch them like a hawk.

Have you tried paint thinner, mineral spirits, acetone or even a solvent like they use at the dry cleaners?

• chispa
    11 years ago

The longer the paint cures (specially outside in the heat) the harder it will be to remove. I got some paint on my fabric cellular blinds and was able to remove some of the stain with alcohol. My stains were only a few hours old and inside. I was doing some touch ups, but yes, I will remove the blinds the next time I paint!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

ks, may I call you ks?, I have no advice better than what you have already received and I am so sorry for your situation. Mostly, I want to thank you for staying local with your business, even if this particular time it didn't work out so perfectly. My bread & butter is also paid for by a small business so I try to keep it local also.

I pity the next worker you have at the house because you will be monitoring him/her intensely, as any of us would after an episode like this.

Good luck, I hope painting over the mistakes will work out.

• lebwhite
    11 years ago

I looked at www.versatle.com and it is called a super concentrated cleaner and degreaser and is a clear liquid. They are in Mississippi according to the website. I do not know if it will remove paint but it works on blood, pet urine and baseball dirt! I have tested it on these things!

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I'm sorry kswl. I'd be sick. Have you called the paint company? Not the store where you bought it, but the company itself? They usually have people on hand to answer these questions. I'm sure you're not the first person to have this problem. I googled a bit and if you go to Krud Kutter's website it says it can remove dried latex paint and it cuts grease, oil and tar. If it can remove tar that's saying something. I also found this information on another site:

Acrylic Paint

To know how acrylic paint can be removed from your clothes, first gather some materials - nail polish remover, hairspray, window cleaner, and old cloths.
    First of all, take a cloth to blot the paint. Make sure you don't rub or spread the paint.
    On another cloth, spray 3-4 squirts of window cleaner and wait for 10 seconds.
    Then spray 4-5 squirts of hairspray and then wet the cloth with nail polish remover. Hold for 10-15 seconds.
    Make sure that all the 3 cleaners are applied on the same spot on the cleaning cloth.
    Use the wet cloth now to scrub the acrylic paint away. Scrub as hard as you can, without damaging the clothing item.
    You need to change the cleaning cloth once it picks up the acrylic paint off. Wet it with the same amount of cleaning agents every time.
    In the end, all there's left to do is wash the cloth in warm water so that the cleaning agents are removed.
    Now, wasn't that an easy method for removing stains from clothes?

Latex Paint

To know how latex paint can be removed from your clothes, first gather some materials - a clean, old cloth, spray bottle, and rubbing alcohol.
    Fill the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and place the stained cloth on your workstation.
    Spray directly on the stained area and take the old cloth in hands.
    With the cloth, you will begin to rub over the cloth in order to remove the paint.
    Little by little, spray rubbing alcohol and keep rubbing the paint off.
    Once the cloth gets paint on it, use a cleaner part each time.
    After you're finished, wash the cloth as you normally would. If the paint remains, repeat the process.

Fabric Paint

To know how fabric paint can be removed from your clothes, first gather some materials - rubbing alcohol, dull knife, hairspray, liquid hand sanitizer, and old cloths.
    In a bowl, we will mix 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol and liquid hand sanitizer each.
    Dip a clean cloth in this mixture for 10 seconds and rub (hard) directly on the stained area.
    Then, take the dull knife and try to scrape off the paint. Make sure you don't rip the cloth.
    Next use the hairspray over the paint and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
    In the end, all there's left to do is wash the cloth in washing machine and let it dry.
    If the paint is still there, use the hairspray again and wash the cloth one more time.

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

Lisa, so sorry this happened, how awful.

The painter doesn't have liability insurance?

Firstly, who makes the awning? If it's say,
    Sumbrella, call them and ask for advise on
    paint removal.

Also call the company that originally installed
    the awning and ask their advise.

You said that the awning was 3500.00, but that included
    all the hardware and installation of the hardware, right?

Get an estimate from the awning company to just
    replace the awning. Make sure to negotiate the best
    deal for replacement. If they think you're going
    through an insurance company, they'll most likely
    give you a higher estimate.

Hopefully, you didn't pay the painters...if you did
    you need to demand a refund. Use the painters fee
    towards the new awning...hopefully it will cover
    most of it, if not all of it. This is the least
    the painters could do for you...It will certainly be a
    learning experience for them.

Keep the old awning material to make matching cushions
    for your chairs. :)...

Good luck, hope this works out for you, without
    any grief.
    Joann

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I would contact the people who made the awning or Sunbrella to see if they have recommendations. It can't be the first time this has happened.

Which Goof Off did you use? The nasty stuff (original formula) in the can gets out things the stuff in the bottles (more environmentally friendly, lower odor, water based -- don't do it) doesn't. Try holding if ion the fabric and even repeating the application.

Have you tried GooGone? I have used it to get paint off my hands and brushes. Dawn removes the oily residue.

I'm sure there is a solution out there, but worst case, I would also get some white/off-white paint and do a little cosmetic cover-up to make it less noticeable.

I understand the frustration. I have a fabric covered pergola that was new when we had our chimneys repaired and the caps replaced last summer. The guy dropped a crow bar or something on it and put two v-shaped holes in it. I couldn't find a replacement, so I was going to look for some Sunbrella fabric and make a new one but it didn't rip further and we lived with it for the summer. It is getting replaced this year, but I stumbled upon a replacement online that cost me less than the fabric would have. Wish I could offer you hope of the same, but I suspect persistence may be your solution. Hope you get it out.

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but if they don't have insurance and can't afford to pay you themselves I'd find something else you need painted and have them pay you back that way making sure they cover everything that you don't want paint on. If they truly are "good guys" they'll be willing to do so even if it means painting during their off hours.
    I've read recently that hot/boiling white vinegar can clean a dried on paint off a nylon paint brush. Not sure how you could do this unless you wore rubber gloves and used sponges, but it's worth a try.
    Personally I feel they need to compensate you in some way or they'll wind up doing this to someone else down the road. Small business or not they need to insured.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Bummer, so sorry.

I think the key is "The painters are local people who basically live from job to job and could not offer any redress if they wanted to."

When i chose people to do work who cannot afford to offer redress, I calculate the risk that they damage something in my estimation of how good a deal I am getting, vs using a GC or larger company.

I think part of being a homeowner is selective amnesia, otherwise we would go crazy with all the mistakes and mishaps!

• justgotabme
    11 years ago

I should add if they can't afford insurance they really still should take the responsibility of paying for the damage they did. I'm a seamstress and though I don't have insurance because it's usually a matter of a few hundred dollars in fabric, I do pay for any mistakes I've done. Granted so far that's only been forgetting to tell a client their pillows required zippers (I paid for the zippers and didn't charge for the extra time) and when I miss cut fabric which I replaced cutting my profits. That's just part of having a business of your own. If you want to stay in business those little losses are well worth saving your good reputation in the long run. Personally I'd make them pay for the replacement even if they had to do it in installments.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Just one more suggestion for a cleaning product - Spot Shot carpet cleaner. I have used it to remove nail polish from carpet and clothing. Not sure how it would work on latex paint since it is different chemically.

• Dando
    11 years ago

Laquer thinner. Use gently and sparingly.
    It's not a question of it removing the paint. That, it will do.
    Just be easy with it so that it doesn't remove the awning colors also.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good ideas, all--- we will try all of them this week, thanks sincerely! Some of these would not have occurred to me.

• anrol
    11 years ago

I would talk to somebody at Sunbrella. They might have a solution and if you go trying a bunch of different products on it their solution might not work. My MIL did that years ago with a carpet and the company had a solution for it. Meanwhile, she tried all of these different products on it and they said that that was the worst thing she could have done. She wrecked it! (too many different chemicals on it) Just sayin' You have nothing to lose by asking. Good luck!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I live in Georgia. There is no way she can go after them. It's not possible. They don't have any money and live from job to job and are feeding their families and if you took money from them or got a judgment they could end up in prison if not able to pay and unable to provide for their family. It would not be satisfying. In the end it really just can't be done by us who feel sorry for them and understand these economic times. They usually work for less than a big company. They are not bad people just unfortunate people. There have been times when I have had to adjust my thinking to it being more or less a "donation" not that I can afford it but I can certainly afford it more than they can and have had in the past a better life. When you know the people and have used them before and had no problems with them it's not easy to haul them into court. I am happy that OP is not going that route even though she has been terribly wronged and certainly justified. Sometimes we get our reward in other ways. It's part of life and I am so very sorry this happened and hope that it will come out with some of the remedies presented. If not, I so feel your pain having had similar things happen to me on several occasions. It's no fun being the brunt of carelessness but sometimes the protracted route of going after people just make our stress level even worse and will end up the same anyway with you resolving it yourself. Here's to hoping it will all work out and that the paint will come out or be able to be covered up. I am sick about this for you.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

One more thing to try (I sure hope they sent you a large fabric swatch). When I have dried on latex paint on my paint brushes, I leave them soak in TSP. I've heard it's getting harder to find in some areas, but they still have it in our Homep Depot.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I wonder whether a Mr. Clean magic eraser would work. It essentially acts like fine sandpaper. If the paint hasn't absorbed into the fibers of the fabric, maybe this would gently sand the paint away.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

I would call both the paint manufacturer and the awning people or if you are positve the fabric is Sunbrella, then call them. One of those just might have an idea for a product. I think it's great that you have a sample size to play with. Lots of luck.

• martyg
    11 years ago

I have removed long dried enamel paint from carpet using hand cleaner and hot water and a lot of elbow grease. It took several times of applying, hot water, blotting, and redo, but I got it out in about 2 hours. Good luck.

• joanna1950
    3 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I went to Michaels and purchase some paint for fabrics. I mixed two colors to achieve a match. It's not perfect but looks a lot better than before.

• Samuel Go lightly
    2 months ago

Nail polish remover?