SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Removing Bath in Master Bath

kats_meow
10 years ago

We have been in our house for a couple of years. House is about 6 years old. We don't love our master bath and are thinking of redoing it. It currently has a corner tub, a walkin shower with a seat, separate toilet room and a long counter with dual sinks.

We literally never use our tub. We have a hot tub right outside our bedroom so if we want to soak sore muscles we use it. If we want to get clean, we use our shower. The shower is nice but I would love to have a really large shower. The only way we would have room for that is to get rid of the corner tub. I'm inclined to do it since the tub area now is totally wasted.

My only hesitation is whether this would significantly hurt the resale value of the house. We have no plans to sell this house (it is our retirement home), but you never know.

The house is a 1 story (about 2800 SF). It has 4 bedrooms and 2 other full bathrooms with tub/shower combos other than the master bath. So, even if we got rid of this shower we would have 2 other bathrooms with tubs (although we have considered converting one of the two to a large shower only since my 90 year old mother visits and finds it hard to use a shower that is in a tub).

We are in Texas in an acreage community. Our house is one of the less expensive houses in the subdivision. Not super expensive but well above the median house value.

Our options we are thinking about are:

1. Keep a tub in all 3 bathrooms.
2. Take tub out of master and put in large shower, leave tubs in others.
3. Take tub out of master and put in large shower, leave at least one tub in the house but could change one tub in the secondary bathrooms to a shower.

I am inclined to do 2 for now, but maybe do 3 at some point if my mother moves in. But,if I am making a big mistake in thinking about getting rid of the master tub that would cause me think differently. Again, we have no plans to sell now but you never know what will happen in future.

Comments (19)