SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedarburgcapecod

His/her wall closets and tiny master bath OR bigger bath/ 7x6 closet

cedarburgcapecod
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all -just looking for opinions. Our master bedroom has an odd configuration. We have 2 decent sized wall closets. DH's is 7 feet long and mine is 8 feet with a weird extra deep area (app 4 feet deep) on one side. The back wall of my closet is shared by a TINY master bath behind it (4'10 x8). To get to the master bath there is a 7 foot hall way (still in the master bedroom) and running along the wall of that hallway is DH's closet. At the end of the hall is a window (which gives our bedroom some bright eastern light) and to the right is the door to the master bathroom. The whole area is 165" long and 91" deep (so app 13.5x7.5)

The master bath is original to the house (1971) and it needs some love. I am wondering if now is the time to reconfigure it and enlarge it? It will never be big, but right now it feels like a power room with a phone booth for a shower (30x32). there is no place for towels, and the only storage is this odd cabinet built into the wall behind the shower. You have to reach over the toilet to get into it. I would like to expand the shower into the odd extra deep pocket of my closet (keeping my closet 8'), or perhaps expand it all the way out, making my closet around 5'5" (DH said he would be willing to switch, since his current closet is far bigger than what he needs). We that could give us more floor space and a place for a nice, heated towel rack.

But... as I was looking at things yesterday, I realized that the hall leading to the bath is wasted space (3 feet wide). We could expand the whole bath into my closet and steal another foot of space from the bathroom and end up with approximately a 7x7 bath and a 7x6 walk in closet. Depending on where we put the door, we could fit 2 sinks, but I think a 48 vanity and storage may be more functional. I realize neither bath nor closet are considered big, but it's an older house and some of the houses on our street don't have a master bath at all. The drawbacks are that I like having the privacy of the "hidden" master bath and the window in the hall provides some-much needed natural light into our bedroom (we have a north facing window and a deep dormer window that faces west, so there are more windows, but they don't let in much light).

We are thinking of moving in the next few years. Knowing we need to update the bath anyway, what do you think would add the most value and be the best return on our investment?

A) expanding the shower just into deep pocket my closet and keeping 2 closets about the same size (also the cheapest solution)

B) Expanding the shower fully into the closet to give us more floor space, but having one closet be smaller

C) Modest walk in closet (we would lose a little storage) and an overall bigger bath with a new and more functional configuration

hallway with DH closet
our tiny bathroom.

Comments (8)