SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Raising kids in SW Florida?

stir_fryi SE Mich
15 years ago

We are born and raised in Michigan. In the next few years my DH might contemplate early retirement and his wish is to move to FL (Fort Myers). Our children are only 6 and 8 right now.

Besides the obvious (taking the kids away from aunts/uncles and cousins) can you think of any drawbacks?

I would absolutely love the weather -- can't stand winter and can tolerate heat more than cold (besides, we'd probably spend most of summer in MI).

I am concerned about the quality of schools compared to MI. Historically, FL schools have not been good. But MI schools have been going down the tubes so they are probably equal!

I am concerned about crime. In metro Detroit, crime is pretty much centered in the city. FL seems to have a lot of crime.

I am diversity. What I mean by that is will my children's school experience suffer due to low income or minority children (test scores, opportunities,etc..)? I live in a very segregated area now so that would be new to me.

Lastly, I am concerned the area is too much of a retirement area (may not be as much now a days though) instead of family centered area.

Comments (12)