SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Spring time in Southwest Florida !

Ah yes, it's that time of year and I cannot think of another place I'd rather be than Southwest Florida ! The harmonious sound of Merle Haggard singing my favorite C & W song is so in tune with where I am now !

Mobile Bay. magnolia blossoms, cool summer nights
Warm rollin seas. and all my dreams, somewhere I'd lost 'em,
Mobile bay, magnolia leaves, sweet Rosalee.

Another poignant reminder that reflects the beauty of springtime hereabouts is when I sometimes recall again Ernest Hemingway's feelings upon moving into his new home in San Francisco de Paola, a close suburb of Havana. My faint recollection ( not his exact words ) :

" My home the Finca Vigia, rests on a gently rising hilltop in a southeast suburb of Havana, Cuba. With a little over fifteen acres surrounding the seventy year old stone home, it was a perfect place to write in peace and quiet.

It was the spring time I enjoyed there the most. During my first residence at that time of year I discovered, quite by accident, the uniqueness. Relaxing on a deck chair one morning on the outside deck, I faintly detected a pleasant aroma that wafted on the soft breezes as they ebbed and flowed. After a few minutes it became more evident the source. It was a glorious, tall Southern Magnolia tree in full bloom. Wide, robust dark green, waxy leaves and covered with large white blossoms that spread out as they offered up an incense to the heavens. The tree was over 40 feet away but when the wind blew my way, the fragrance was minimal, but true and clean. I was captivated. I could only reflect on how happy my life had become. Whatever recurrent difficulties that might have been nagging me, they drifted away, on that intense yet gentle bouquet. "

Now, relaxing here on my lanai in Florida on my new swivel rocker, - my feelings are perhaps less intense, but very similar ! Gazing to the rear. I see my four mango trees, - chock full of intense new growth and flowering mango pannicles that will provide a plethora of juicy mangos from early June through early August !

Looking further back, to the rear of the property, I see the 36' x 12' raised bed that is home to the dozen or so Ice Cream banana pups on the verge of giving birth to their first " flower leaf ". The empty right half of that bed will soon be the home of the anxiously awaited Apple banana pups ! In 9 - 10 months, a photo of that raised bed will look like it was located in Belize or Honduras !! ( smile ) Can't help salivating....

As my gaze comes forward, it focuses on the brand new 40' x 18' butterfly/humming bird garden right under my nose at the rear of the lanai. This is all new to me, installed by diligently PLOWING UP THE GRASSY PATCH WITH A ROTO- TILLER last week. Dozens of plants I have no idea of,..and including 3 humming bird feeders,..the last addition was the " Seascape Blue " Adirondack chair & small table, both of which arrived only yesterday. All of the above designed and installed by my girlfriend Rhonda. Honestly, am speechless when I gaze out there now,..no butterflies or birds yet,..but they'll come around soon. See before & after photos !

Lastly, swiveling around to face the front yard, just 20 ft away from the front of the lanai, in clear view from my cushioned rockers, stands the 25 ft tall Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia tree installed only 3 yrs ago. This robust gal is now COVERED with a bajillion small, light gray flower buds that will fatten up and pop open in another 3 weeks or so,..usually at a rate of 4, 5 a day ! Magnificent , extremely aromatic lemon citronella-scented white flowers each a foot wide with a fruity center where bees & beetles will busily mill about ! And 30 feet to the right of Edith stands my 6 ft tall Little Gem Magnolia tree that will also be covered with many slightly smaller flowers come spring !

Ah yes,..I love all four of SW Florida's seasons,..yes, even summer,..but have to vote springtime as the one I look forward to the most. Hey,..it's just around the corner now,..we even have some snowbirds already bailing out of our park,..so spring has to be coming soon ! lol

Hmmm, better start getting the ingredients ready for those pitchers of Seabreezes and Pina Colada's that my neighbors & pals will be sipping on as they check out the new garden,...hey, the word is already starting to get out !! ( smile )

Comments (43)

• Rhonda
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks for posting this Joe!

All, I was hanging on for dear life to that roto-tiller which had a mind of it's own LOL And I was picking out seashells for what seemed like forever while tilling up the grass and tilling in the composted soil.

The garden looks bare now but I had to plan for the mature size of the plants which include:

Host Plants -

Passion Vine and Dutchman's pipe vine (on trellis), Tropical milkweed (lots of it as Joe has Monarchs year round), Popcorn Cassia (8 foot tall already), and Parsley and Dill (in pot)

Nectar Plants -

Sweet Viburnum shrub (large one that Joe had planted in this area, I left it untouched), Bottle Brush shrubs (2), Dwarf firebush (2), Firecracker (2), Red Shrimp Plant (2), Panama Rose (2) (also known as bush penta, while neither a rose or penta), Cape Honeysuckle (1), Lion's Ear (2), Sweet William Dianthus (3), Cape Daisy (3), Gaillardia - 2 varieties (3 each), Gerbera Daisy (3), Purple Porterweed (1), "Bandana" lantana (12) and Salvia - Phyllis' Fancy, Black & Blue, Amistad (2 each).

I'm having trouble finding salvia around here so I may have to order some unless you have any recommendations for local nurseries (Oak Farm and MRT have none). I couldn't bring all mine from my prior home as many were killed back due to frost and weren't ready to be transplanted.

I also added 2 shallow terra cotta butterfly puddlers - terra cotta saucers buried in the ground to the rim and filled with sand, water and seashells to rest on (yes, some found while tilling). I'm going to sprinkle on some salt tomorrow.

We also have the following around the side and front of the house: a beautiful hanging pot of pink and white fuschia, 2 mixed hanging pots of petunias and verbena, 2 huge on the ground pots of Mexican petunias and a huge pot of pentas.

I'm still looking for/considering the following:

Mexican sunflower and Red and Purple firespike. Will firespike survive in this garden that receives full sun from noon on?

Any others that you can suggest?

Thanks,

Rhonda

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked Rhonda
  • whgille
    7 years ago

Congratulations to the new couple and the new garden!

Good news are always a nice way to start the day.....

Silvia

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked whgille
  • Related Discussions

fragrant roses for southwest Florida

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Marcia I'm south of Sarasota too :-) and my roses have been living on rainfall only since September or so. (After we had the irrigation water tested and it was so saline it was killing plants. So we turned it off.) Winter is the dry season here (haha, lately not) so summer with it's scorching heat will be the test for my roses. They did well in September when the heat was still pretty brutal and no rain. I mulch with cardboard or several layers of newspaper and put shredded bark mulch on top to look pretty. Works great to keep roots cool and slow evaporation. You should consider some of the Bourbon family like Souvenir de la Malmaison, and her cousins. I have found them to love our climate and they are fragrant beautiful OGR's. This is Deuil de Dr. Reynaud, a climber. He's grown 5' since planting in early summer 2009 and is green and healthy through all this cold weather. Well actually all the roses are green and healthy right now. Good luck with your garden. Denise
    ...See More

Is Floridas spring time cool enough for tomato blossoms?

Q

Comments (5)
    I guess it depends on where in Florida you live. Florida is divided into 3 regions. North, Central and South. I live just above North Florida. It was 84 here today. 15 degrees above average. Our last frost date is March 31. Most poeple plant way before then. Find out from your local agricultural center what tomatoes do best in your area and when to plant them.
    ...See More

spring time in North Florida

Q

Comments (4)
    I am glad to see people alive on this forum again. I mostly have hedychium, but also have the common pinecone, a few curcumas and the green shell ginger.I purchased many from gingersrus in Tallahassee Florida this past year. Really did well expecting all of them to flower this year some are already a foot tall. They really fill out the beds for summer. most are planted between young camellias and azaleas for right now. in a few years I will have to move them but by then I will have new beds done for them. Glad to hear from you. James Maloy
    ...See More

What happened to the Fortuniana roses in southwest Florida?

Q

Comments (6)
    hey dave, I have the same complaints. merrygro has closed and that sale is just JP clearing out what they may have left but the florida location is being developed for houses, go figure. if H.T.s are what you like, then I would buy up what they have. they ship fedex which costs more, but in the end you will like what you get. have you checked out coolroses.com in west palm bch? they are great and will ship to you. there are other companies too, like becnel, S&W, Baygarden who all do fort rootstock. my issue is that I want old garden roses on fort but they only come own root. so, here is where my insanity has lead...I ordered a plant cloner and a fortuniana rose bush and intend to learn how to bud/graft the own-root roses that are easy to find and comparatively inexpensive and put them onto the fortuniana plants I will root from the parent rose. this is going to take some time but at least I wont feel like I have to keep the lowes/H.D. roses in a pot just to keep them alive. michelle
    ...See More
  • Tom
    7 years ago

Looks very nice, Rhonda. It should be beautiful in a few months when things start kicking in.

I would strongly recommend the Mexican sunflowers. They are terrific butterfly plants. As you know, they get tall and need to be staked, normally--unless they have something to lean on. I have started some seeds already and will start more soon. I will also save some to plant in late July when the current crop will be wilting.

I think the firespikes will do alright in full sun. I have a pink and a mauve that are in sun pretty much of the day and they do fine. Most of mine, however, are in partial shade where they do best.

I'll be interested to see how your bush penta does. Dave's garden says it can get over 15ft high and very wide. Most reports say that it blooms best in the winter months in tropical climes. It should do well for you.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked Tom
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Thanks Silvia!

Tom,

Thanks for the compliment. I agree that once it starts filling in it will look much nicer. In my past ventures, I crowded plants in to make the garden look full from the get go and had to thin out plants the second year :)

I agree on the Mexican sunflowers as they were probably the top butterfly attractant in my garden last year. I found those plants at the UF plant sale but a 4 hour drive is not in my plans unless I'm up that way to visit. If you see any places around Orlando selling them, would you please let me know as I visit my youngest son once a month or so?

MRT Nursery has the red and mauve firespikes so I'll pick a couple up. I regret not digging up my pink and mauve and bringing them down here.

I have never grown the bush penta before, so I'm curious about how big they'll get. I've read that you can keep them trimmed to 3-4 feet. I wouldn't want them to get bigger than 5 foot tall. Blooms in the winter would be a bonus.

I'll post some closeups of the flowers on the butterfly forum.

Rhonda

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

It looks great! I hope you and the hummingbirds and butterflies enjoy your new space! What a lot of work but it's different when it's a labor of love. Looks great.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked suncoastflowers
  • jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Being New York City born and raised, I haven't a clue as to what flower is which ! My girlfriend ( boss of the butterfly garden ) asked me to water her seashells on two large plates sitting in the red mulch just awhile ago,..after I finished watering my Mexican petunias. So, as I drag the hose in, I stop at the two plates full of seashells. " Hmmm, what in the world am I doing ? Watering seashells ? " But as a former US Navy vet, I learned a long time ago to obey orders ! So I water the two plates of seashells, then notice a large yellow plastic sunflower she had planted nearby,...so what the hell ? Seashells, plastic sunflowers,..what's the difference ? So I watered it as well !! Needless to say I got chewed out big time awhile later. But we are still pals,..we both love butterflies, humming birds, plants,...and seashells,..and,..plastic sunflowers ! ( smile )

• Tom
    7 years ago

Let us know if either the plastic sunflower or the seashells start growing, jofus.

Rhonda, remember that the firespikes get very big. I think the purple ones will go through a longer blooming period where you live now. Not sure about the red ones, but I suspect that the blooming period will be different from what it is north of you.

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

Tom,

I think I'll buy just the purple ones. I wasn't that impressed with the red ones in Williston.

I picked up 3 pink and 3 red pentas lancelotas today. I better stop (once I get the firespike and Mexican sunflower, of course).

Thanks,

Rhonda

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    7 years ago

looks great!!!!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
  • amberroses
    7 years ago

You have a good start. Isn't it so much nicer and prettier with life in the garden? So much more relaxing and spiritual. I'd suggest seeds of Salvia Coccinea, orange cosmos, and zinnias for the warmer days to come.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked amberroses
  • wanna_run_faster
    7 years ago

Joe, it's fabulous! Looks like an oasis for you and the butterflies!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked wanna_run_faster
  • dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

That's amazing! Rhonda, you did a great job (with Joe's help, of course). Looks like you have a little urban homestead going there.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked dirtygardener73
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Thanks Deb! Yes, Joe was very helpful....spreading dirt for me to till in, mulching AND surprising me with the beautiful Adirondack chair and table in which to sit and enjoy the garden and a sea breeze AND the gorgeous hanging fuschia basket for the hummers :)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks DG and Rhonda for the accolades. However, I must take a much more demure posture regarding my contributions. It was Rhonda's design and boundless energy all the way.
    This morning, being home alone, I jumped up early, showered, changed into my work clothes, then cranked up the riding mower and mowed the entire 1/4 ac lawn ! That done, I took my bowl of cereal outside to sit on the nifty ( if I do say so myself ) new blue Adirondack chair and admire close up the new garden !
    Funny thing tho ( us engineers are so nit-picking ), after chilling out for about 20 glorious minutes, I started sneezing. once,..twice,..but when it got to 5, 6 in rapid fire, even a " Grouchy Old Grizzly Bear " like me ( how I am described by some ), will get up and head inside. My reflections on this ( not the 1st time ) has caused me to look hard at a possible connection to all the new, gorgeous looking flowers !! Any theories out there ?
    Something else I noticed while sitting there,..the blue LAUGH sign is situated close to the big plastic sunflower that I mistakenly watered yesterday. Was this a coincidence, or was it placed there intentionally ? Seems a little closer than it was 2 days ago !! I am realty not a GOGB,..but a little suspicious just the same. Rhonda,..you listening out there ?
    Jump to Toolbar

• dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

Joe,

It's spring. Allergies happen. I don't think it's any of Rhonda's plants. Probably some offending tree nearby.

• MikeM8560 (10A)
    7 years ago

yes it is great in SWFL jofus I started working in my front yard this week also

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked MikeM8560 (10A)
  • dirtygardener73
    7 years ago

It's nicer up here in N. FL. 50s/60s/70s up through mid-afternoon. I love working in the garden early in the morning when it's crisp and fresh outside.

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

I've added 3 pink and 3 red pentas lancelotas and 2 purple firespikes (dug up from my old house) to my garden.

On the way home yesterday I stopped at a favorite nursery outside of Ocala. They had Amistad salvia! They were nice, healthy 1 gallon pots for $5.99. I got 5 :) I also picked up 4 1 gallon salvia splendens "Faye Chapel" for only $4.49 each. I was so thrilled!

Rhonda

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

Our new garden is finally starting to pay off! Despite having to battle
    strong winds, this tattered female flew around the garden for at least
    half an hour...laying eggs on several milkweeds :)

Rhonda

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

Today a ragged male spent lots of time in the garden, he particularly liked the popcorn cassia.

Rhonda

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

When we arrived home this afternoon, I caught a quick glimpse of a
    butterfly on the milkweed. Could it be a Queen?! I ran into the house
    and grabbed my camera. By the time I got in the garden, I only managed
    to grab a few quick shots before she flew off. It was a female Queen
    laying eggs! Woo Hoo!

Rhonda

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

I added a couple nice-sized butterfly bush yesterday and this ragged
    male monarch wasted no time in stopping to taste the nectar......and he stayed for almost an hour. I hope I have better
    luck with the BB here than I did further North in Florida where the
    nematodes always got them.

Rhonda

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    7 years ago

Beautiful gardens! They will be full of color and butterflies very soon.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
  • garden_gal_fl (z10)
    7 years ago

The garden and butterflies look great. The pictures are very clear and well taken.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked garden_gal_fl (z10)
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Thanks Garden Gal!!!

All,

Here are a few pics from today of the garden.....it has filled in a little and of course I have added plants (for some reason, Joe doesn't believe me when I leave the house and say "don't worry...I'm not buying anymore plants") LOL Sorry that these pics aren't the best, it has been cloudy and slightly smoky this morning (brush fire burning down the road).

Cape Daisy, Pink Pentas lanceoltas (these will get much taller), Salvia "Phyllis'Fancy", Salvia "Mystic Spires", Salvia "Amistad", Gerbera daisies, shrimp plant, firebush

Dianthus "Sweet William", tropical milkweed, Agastache "Acapulco Deluxe Red" in pots

View from the end with my beautiful Adirondack chair and table...a surprise from Joe :)

Salvia "Amistad", shrimp plant, firebush

Panama Rose aka Bush Penta (neither a rose or penta). Planted two of these. They will get tall but I'll try to keep them trimmed to 5' or so.

View from my chair

Dutchman's pipevine ....host for Pipevine swallowtail and goldrim swallowtail caterpillars and Passion Vine....host for Gulf Fritillary and Zebra Longwing. Lion's Ear in front of Passion Vine should start blooming soon. Hummers like the flowers of the aloe vera.

Butterfly/hummingbird eye view :)

Newly planted Pink Delight butterfly bush, red Penta lanceolata, Sweet William and Popcorn Cassia

Side view

Enjoy,

Rhonda

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

Just a few more LOL

Salvia "Phyllis' Fancy", Salvia "Amistad", Salvia "Mystic Spires", cape daisy, shrimp plant

Salvia "Phyllis' Fancy" (I love the deeply quilted leaves on these) with cape daisy and gerbera daisy in the background

Salvia "Mystic Spires" with cape daisy, gerbera daisy and blanket flower

Cape Daisy, Salvia
    "Phyllis'Fancy", Salvia "Amistad", tropical milkweed, Sweet William, red penta lanceolata and popcorn cassia

• tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
    7 years ago

Rhonda,

Your butterfly garden looks great. There is going to be a butterfly stampede heading your way soon.

Not sure if it was just the variety of passion vine I have but I now have passion vine volunteers all over the yard.

Craig

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Thanks Craig! Passion vine can send up runners all over the place but they are easy to pull out and transplant....which is good because once the Frit and zebra cats start chomping they can defoliate a plant in no time.

Rhonda

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    7 years ago

So beautiful!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
  • irma_stpete_10a
    7 years ago

Lovely! Rhonda, do you have butterflies visit your puddles? Is adding salt standard and, does it matter what kind? Also, how do you tell a male from a female monarch?

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked irma_stpete_10a
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago

Thanks SMC and Irma.

I have had a few butterflies in the puddles but activity should pick up when more butterflies arrive and mate. Salt (either added or naturally in the mud/sand) is essential to males during the reproductive season. Here's a link to an interesting article on mud puddling

The male has thinner lines and a single black dot on one of the black lines close to the abdomen on each lower wing. The male is typically brighter orange. The best giveaway to the sex is that the males don't spend much time at the milkweed but rather nectar on other flowers.

The female monarch has thicker black lines on her wings and no black dot on her lower wings. The females will often spend an hour or more going from milkweed to milkweed to lay eggs and ignores most other flowers while doing this.

• irma_stpete_10a
    7 years ago

Fascinating! Thanks! But Rhonda, do you actually have butterflies come to your plate puddles? If so, what types? The article says not all types come. I've been maintaining, (but without added salt) plate puddles for months, trying them in different parts of the yard full of BFs and attractor plants. Seen nary a one investigate a puddle.

• Rhonda
    7 years ago

I haven't had any here yet but the season has just started. In Williston, the red-spotted purples, buckeyes and pipevine swallowtails used my plates and also mud puddles in the lime rock road.

• irma_stpete_10a
    7 years ago

Ah... 2 of those like "weeds" that I've been pulling up. Think I will rethink that! Thanks, Rhonda!

Original Author
    7 years ago

The butterfly counts not months but moments,

and has time enough.

Rabindranath Tagore

• Rhonda
    6 years ago

I
    saw my first ruby throated hummingbird this morning....a female. She spent lots of time at
    the Salvia Amistad (by far her favorite), Agastache Acapulco Red, red
    shrimp plant and firecracker plant. My porterweed is just starting to
    bloom again so not much activity there. She never once used the feeder,
    which is fine. She has returned several times but it is too windy and
    dark to get good pics.

Joe has never seen a hummingbird other than in print and on TV so he was
    truly amazed by the little gal. Now, he knows why I have been so
    anxiously awaiting them. Don't know if she'll stay, I hope so.

Also, have Gulf Frit caterpillars on the passion vine so my garden is starting to reward me.
    Rhonda

• Tom
    6 years ago

Congrats, Rhonda. I hope she will stay. Let us know.

• Rhonda
    6 years ago

Thanks Tom! She has been here all day and now favors the feeder over the flowers. Interesting note: I have two different feeders on a double shepherd's hook but she always uses the same one. I'm trying to figure out if she prefers the feeder or the location of the feeder she uses (hook furthest from the house). I think I'll switch them to the opposite hooks tomorrow to see what happens :)

Rhonda

• irma_stpete_10a
    6 years ago

Yummy!

• Rhonda
    6 years ago

More evidence that the new butterfly/hummingbird garden is going to be a hit :) I was able to get lots of pictures today of an orange-barred sulphur as she very quickly went around
    laying eggs on the popcorn cassia. Enjoy.

Rhonda

• PRO
    El Chino Nursery
    6 years ago

wow nice job.

• Rhonda
    6 years ago

Thanks so much!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews