SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

How to best create a soil for palms in a raised bed inground

poaky1
6 years ago

Hi, I am in zone 6 SW Pa. I will be making 2 raised beds for 2 hardy palms. 1 is a Needle palm, the other is a Windmill palm. I will be protecting in winter, but, I will be making raised beds for them, and I wonder what they like in soil. Should I add some Lime for calcium? Do they want the ph to be alkaline or acid? I think neutral or alkaline may be okay for the Windmill. Not sure on the Needle palm. I could look that up etc, but, I am wondering if they need a good bit of magnesium ( both needle or windmill, or both?) and if so, what is the best delivery system? I don't want to resort to Epsom salts, unless that is a good way to do it.

My soil has been nuetral ph in all of the tests I've had done, but, I haven't tested the soil where they'll be planted, which is near the house, where I can plug in a heat source for them.

I have a frame I made to build the soil up 8 inches above the native soil. I would like to know what is best to use to make a decent soil for them. I am willing to order online any soil additive I may need in small quantities. I have some coconut coir soil. The fine stuff, like pet stores have as reptile bedding. I have peat moss already, but, for all I know that may make the PH to acidic, but, maybe if I use the lime I already have, and have heard that Windmill palm may need, it will be okay? Basically, what I have to use is some of the really cheap "topsoil" that is a really sandy mix of who knows what from Wal-mart. The ecoscapes or naturescapes, whatever the cheapest topsoil is, a half a bag of good quality "raised bed soil", the really cheap Wal-mart "potting soil". There may be a couple bags of Vigaro Potting soil, but, that is mostly peat based with other stuff in there, that is basically crap after 1 year of planting. It is nutrient poor after planting in it the first year, by year 2 it's crap. If I used it at all in the beds it would not be very much. I would rather not use it at all in any bed where the plants will stay there for many years. I have made the mistake of using it in 1 bed that I planned on keeping for years. I almost forgot to mention I have 2 bags of cow manure compost to add also. I don't know the PH of it, i am not sure if the bag says what it is, either. I know sometimes when stalls are cleaned out lime is added. Okay, i hope someone can give info. I know that Florida soils are limestone underneath in many cases, and I think Windmill palms grow there, also Needle palms. Anyway, I hope someone can shed some light. Thanks

Comments (13)