SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Hacked off my painter, now what?

Linda Ross
15 years ago

What to do? I have a contractor for my remodeling but he is "busy" and not here a lot. My original painters were terrific, then because of some personal illness they could not finish the job so my contractor found these painters who he had never used before. They have dripped paint in my living room, dining room and hallway on my "finished" hardwood floor. They have dripped paint on the brick around the fireplace and even on my driveway. I have a nice home and they rinse out their brushes, etc in my bathtub. My husband works a million hours and never here so Friday one of the painters brought his wife to "help" as they paint very slow. I come home from work and she is painting a doorway with no drip cloth, newspapers, nothing. I didn't say anything but chewed my lip. Yesterday, the painter brought his high school age son who was out of school for summer and he was sitting on a stool watching. When I got home from work both painters were dripping paint and I just couldn't stand it, this is after I have called the contractor twice and left messages, so I said something. I pointed out the paint on the floor, driveway, bricks and at that point one of them starts smearing it around like that will fix it. I didn't yell but did point it out. Now the painters won't speak to me, and they are painting even slower if that is possible. So to top it off my husband says I was wrong, that a woman can't correct a man in front of his son. (okay I totally forgot the kid was there). My husband is as frustrated as I am but he isn't here as much and seeing it happen. He says just get them to finish whatever the job is and then we'll fix it. But it drives me crazy!! I am mad at the painters and mad at the contractor for not calling me back. Actually, I think my husband thinks that I shouldn't have corrected the painters even if his son wasn't there. That a woman just can't embarass a man like that, am I living in the wrong century?? I am a professional woman who is expected to do good work at my job. I should just walk away and let the mess continue?? I did notice today that they pulled drop clothes closer to the wall. But I worry that now that I have hacked them off they will do even a worse job and still haven't got to talk to the contractor.

Comments (49)

• User
    15 years ago

No - you aren't living in the wrong century. Your husband is. What a crock! And if I understand you correctly, the painters are working in your house, but won't speak to you? I'd be kicking their butts out the door faster than you can say, well, "butt kick." And I'd pester that contractor until he spoke with me and worked out a viable solution to this problem. I'm so very sorry you're dealing with this. I would be livid!

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

You are correct, your husband is correct for his world view, which is, what, 19th century England? As I just learned from recent personal experience with painters, it is wrong to let people continue to do shoddy work in your home when you are fully aware they are doing shoddy work. You are not wanting to be friends with these people, who really cares what they think of you.
    Get rid of them, politely but firmly, and find somebody else, even if you lose a week or two of time.

I'm so glad I did. I bet if you talk to a decorator, architect, cabinet shop, or even the paint store, they could direct you to somebody better.

• Related Discussions

Identifying Root Stock rose of Angel Face / Do I hack it all off?

Q

Comments (22)
    NO. You have to feed and water the rose and that is best accomplished FROM THE TOP. The water and nutrients are going to go through the herbs first so they'll get theirs before the rose will. You want the rose healthy and vigorous. Why take half its root area; half its water holding potential away from it for the herbs? What happens when you determine you don't like the bugs or fungal issues and want to spray the rose to get rid of them? You don't want to spray your herbs, even with organics or bacterials. If the plants were in the ground, it would be less of an issue as there would be tremendously greater soil area providing tremendously better water holding potential than the pot does. Even then, though, you would still face the potential spray issue. Plus, the rose will benefit from being regularly fed. The herbs generally don't NEED to be. Kim
    ...See More

off topic but i think Joanne's email has been hacked

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you, Aurora, great explanations. Lucky, very funny! Silvana, no, you did not get hacked and don't have to do anything. I got hacked because I did not follow my own advice. I got an email from an unfamiliar address on a topic I did not recognize with a link that was also unfamiliar. So, there were three clues. But I clicked away. That is all it takes, one click, for a hacker to be able to clone something that resembles a person's name and address. To get rid of a spam email, just send it to the spam folder on your email account, then empty the spam folder. You can change your password if you want. I put a more complete explanation on a new thread. However, Aurora explained it better than I could! It would be good if the Moderators would read this and remove the two posts with the bogus links on them. I will try to contact the Moderators to have those two posts by the hacker removed from the threads, however, I don't think that was what caused the hacking of my email. Joanne This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 0:45
    ...See More

Our painter trashed outside of house. now what?

Q

Comments (11)
    I am more inclined to believe the GC, because the painter was borderline harassing me for money, calling my home number, leaving messages, wanting money to finish the job etc etc. The GC fired her, then she called me crying saying how broke she is and need the work. He hired her back (unknown to us) and that was the day I caught them painting at 27 degrees. Painter was instructed a week ago to have no contact with us. She showed up yesterday (probably thinking nobody would be there) and was basically begging my husband to let her complete the work next year. She also got on her knees and begged..isn't that a bit ODD?! I looked the painting company up in the BBB and they have an F rating. I'm really scared. We are meeting with another painter and I'm going to contact a 3rd one. I am very very worried the cement siding will have premature failure. You can't just sand down cement siding or power wash it. We were given the bill for the siding last week and I just don't know what to do. Do I pay it? What if siding fails in a couple years? Can you still go after the GC to make it right? Thank you all for your posts..I read a lot about the coalesces..that is exactly what has happened. Across the whole side that doesn't receive any sun there are spots all over the place from tiny to 3 inches in diameter. It covers the entire cement siding. It would bet there was frost that caused this.
    ...See More

Found a painter I liked but now my flooring guy says he can paint

Q

Comments (18)
    I decided to paint some old boards over old colors that are light and neutral with the Aura Satin paint I have here in the quart and the BM Regal Pearl Finish paint in the SW Antique White color (not for the color but for the finish/shine). I really like painting with the Pearl Finish paint and the VOC count and drying time is so much less than the old formula. I know I will not be doing the painting but it is such a nice paint and really covers well. The Aura Paint I can not paint well with and I know a painter would have to be very skilled to paint with it. I will see how I feel when both boards dry but so far my feeling is that despite wanting to go lower VOC, I may just stay with the BM Regal Paint in the Pearl Finish since it is so nice and rich on the walls without too much of a shine. The Satin is definitely shinier than the Pearl. I do not like Eggshell or flat paint so I have decided to not try out the Aura Eggshell finish. I am going to have to air out the room due to my preference for finish over VOC count. If I would like an eggshell finish, I would go with the Natura.
    ...See More
  • organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I think you should fire these painters, and the sooner the better.

Have you heard of AngiesList? You can find a good painter on there. :)

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for at least letting me think I wasn't losing my mind. I probably was wrong and should have taken the painter outside to talk to him without his son present but I really forgot about him as didn't expect him to be there. But I just couldn't stand it any longer.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

So to top it off my husband says I was wrong, that a woman can't correct a man in front of his son.

It's not your fault that the buy brought his son and did shoddy work.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

First place this is your house no matter what your gender and you have every right to speak up if the work isn't being done to your satisfaction. Second up, unless the son is employed by the father to work on your job, really he had no reason to be there. Before I get any grief about that, we own a contracting company .. I can't *imagine* my husband bringing any of our kids to a clients job site just to hang out, it's very unprofessional. I agree if the painters are being that sloppy and now coping an attitude with you, it's time to talk to your contractor about finding someone that will do a professional job.

• User
    15 years ago

Zipdee brings up an excellent point. If the boy (and the wife, for that matter) was not actually employed by the painting company, he should not have been in your house. There are just too many legal implications there. What if he'd gotten hurt somehow? Likely as not they'd come looking for your insurer, and you don't want that!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

"a woman just can't embarass a man like that"

Excuse me??? Get a grip - you're the employer and the homeowner, they are doing less than professional work. You have every right to point out the mess and to expect it cleaned up (properly) and care taken so that it doesn't happen again. MAYBE, maybe, if you screamed at him like a harpey I'd say try a softer approach (the old flies and honey thing) but from what you said,it doesn't sound to me like you were out of line at all.

• User
    15 years ago

LOL! I think I'd just have to go ahead and kick my hubby's arse for saying such a thing as well! Honestly ... "a woman just can't embarrass a man like that ..." I'm getting all riled up the more I think about that! Grrrrrrrrr!

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the contractor finally called me back and said he had all these messages and blamed it on poor mobile service for not getting back to me. While I am going on and on about the painters, he listens then says, honest to goodness, "Don't worry about it, I'll call and smooth it over with the painters" as I am gasping, he said he did tell them to be should and be careful and use more dropcloths.

• User
    15 years ago

"Smooth it over with the painters" -- ?? Like you were out of line?

What an ass.

• lobotome
    15 years ago

I'd love to know where you live that all these men you encounter think they're all of that and some?

Is this a men's club where there's an agreement that no woman shall have a valid opinion, and if she does she will be denied validation? Protect the male's over-inflated ego at all costs?

Sounds to me you are right in line with your expectations and the way you handled it (although I probably would have been a little more assertive and told the contractor where to stick it when he said he'd "smooth it over".) But then I'm known to be a little hot headed when I'm right and people don't realize it ;).

• User
    15 years ago

I would fire the lot of them and start over---honestly. I did that several weeks ago when a painter I hired (on the recommendation of the cabinet shop making my new doors) turned out to be lazy, nosy, gossipy, and an incompetent workman. This stretched out a job that was supposed to take a week into about 8 weeks, but at least it's been done right. I am just amazed at the gall of some people!

At least I did not have to contend with a husband's (or GC's) patriarchal attitude, though. Sorry you are going through this, and sincerely hope the end result is worth it.

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Get those bozos out of your house ASAP! They are ruining your home and your contractor should have never sent you someone who he knows nothing about.

I'm not even going to comment on your husband's thinking. LOL

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, update...I live in the South (large city) isn't that a surprise? Hubby said he thought about it and when he came home from work tonight and saw the painters did almost nothing today he said he agreed they had to go tomorrow and he said they just had to stop making a mess. I think he didn't want to hack off the contractor by getting new painters as we are almost done and wanted to "baby" the project through. He did agree that the painter was out of line to now refuse to speak to me. So, I can safely say it isn't going to get "smoothed over."

• kim2007
    15 years ago

You are paying these people for the work and they are creating damages that you'll have to have fixed by someone, or you'll have to fix it yourself. I'd tell them they won't be needed any more. There must be someone you can hire who will do the job correctly and won't mess up your home in the process.

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am waiting for the contractor to get here to fire the painters and he says he is on his way. The painters have now moved into my master bathroom and painting the walls around my $3,000 white bathtub that is uncovered.

I know I should have fired them myself right now but my husband wants me to wait until the contractor gets there. I had to go outside on the patio and have a come apart. My husband says this morning that he doesn't believe it should be that women can't "embarrass" men in front of their son but that is reality and that he says that isn't what he believes but what the painters and contractor and "other" men believe here. Sounds fishy to me. Oh, and the painter brought his kid back to work with him today.

• User
    15 years ago

i'm late coming into this but WOW. Very unprofessional for the painter to bring his wife and kid along. You're handling this soooo much better than I would. Or anyone else that posted above from the sounds of it! ha. Let us know how that knows! I hope it's all made right fast for you guys.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

There is no reason that you should have to put up with any of this. You hired professionals to do a professional job, they are not delivering a professional job, they deserve to be fired. If they can't handle being bossed by a woman it's THEIR problem not yours. Fire away! And I wouldn't worry one bit about what the kid thinks. He should see how the 21st century works anyway.

And where the heck is the contractor during all this mess?! I'd fire his butt too!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

You don't have to wait for the contractor to stop the work. Tell the painters the contractor is on the way to have a discussion with them and they're to wait outside for him.

Or, just tell them to get out...........they're fired!

BTW, my guess was going to be that you're located in the South. I was raised there and things have changed some.........but not a whole lot.
    What it comes down to is that DH is worried about his own standing in the community and is (partially) in the same mindset as the guys he's worried about insulting.
    My DS still lives there and she's went thru h@ll building her home, but she acted as GC and the 'guys' learned to respect her.

I'd suggest you take control............you'll feel much better and will respect yourself more.

• User
    15 years ago

My husband says this morning that he doesn't believe it should be that women can't "embarrass" men in front of their son but that is reality and that he says that isn't what he believes but what the painters and contractor and "other" men believe here.

Um, who cares what "other" obviously unenlightened, backwards-thinking men "believe"? I live in Texas, if that counts as "the south", and lemme tell ya - if somebody's in my home making a mess and being a buttinsky to me about it, they're going to get called out on it. If it "embarrasses" them, that's just too freakin' bad.

XO,
    Aunt Jen with raging PMS
    ;-D

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

auntjen - we have an auntjen in Texas and I had to check your page to see if you were "our" Jen! lol. She's say exactly the same thing, PMS or not!!;).

One wonders how workmen like that manage to make a living.

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

16 year olds need to know how the real world works.
    Inferior work = unhappy customers = getting fired.
    The male vs. female stuff is all totally beside the point.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

I fired my painter, but I had a great contractor who did it for me. After 5 months of construction, the painter got very sloppy, and I had enough. I called my contractor, walked him through the house and pointed out the painter's mistakes and paint droppings (and white handprints down my natural wood bannister) and told him to tell the painter to never come back.

The painter made all kinds of excuses and wanted to finish and give me a credit. I took the credit and finished things myself.

Since I live in the North, and am single, I find this male macho thing interesting/funny/sad. Would these men think that I shouldn't say anything since I don't have a husband to say it for me? That's not going to happen! LOL!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

I had to come back and see how you were doing Mollie.

Okay as Northern that has lived in NC for the last 10 years .. I say you march in to *your* house and tell the painter he's fired pronto, please remove himself and his family from your home. A construction site is no place for a child and it is an insurance risk to have him there as Jen mentioned. When your Contractor shows, tell him to stop being a condescending ass, you write his pay check and he'd do well to remember that. Then when your DH gets home, tell him he can either personally hang out to handle these matters or he can be happy your there to do it .. The End.

Heck, if I lived closer to you I'd come do it for you just to see the looks on their faces. ;)

Heather (who has pissed off more than a few condescending men in her time .. Southern and Otherwise and doesn't care. *LOL*)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Mollie, did the contractor fire them? And if not - are you paying them by the hour or by the job? I hope it's by the job, otherwise it's time to load the shotgun... ;)

Susan

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Latest Update...when I found the painters painting over my new $3000 white bathtub with no plastic or dropcloth over it I went out on the patio and called my husband and fussed. Let's see, what is wrong with me? I am an administrator with a large school district but can't manage my own living room??? My husband to please me comes home as I went on to work to put plastic over the tub (he was only 15 min away). He comes in with the plastic and finds the kid (high school age painter's son) sitting in my bathtub with his feet all over the rims and footprints on the non-skid white bottom. He lost it. He told the kid to get the &%$# (heck) out of the tub and he said the kid took off. He said the painter came out of another room, gave him the evil eye and went into another room to paint saying nothing. My husband is very, very mild mannered but large (tall) man. Husband then leaves without saying anything to painter as husband believes we signed a legal contract with contractor that he "manages" the subs and doesn't want a hassle with contractor. My adult daughter who was at my house working in the garden said the contractor showed up later this morning and went in and had a discussion with the painters and the contractor left and then the painters left. So, I am assuming he fired the painters but of course he hasn't called either my husband or myself. It is a HUGE relief if the painters don't come back tomorrow even if we have to wait to get others. I have always tried to have good manners and not yell, cry or embarrass people, we have built several houses and yet the sorry workmanship I am seeing lately is just unexcusable, especially when paying top dollar. Mollie

• mzdee
    15 years ago

I had a similar situation when I remodeled the bathroom in my first home. Long story short, they ended up paying for carpet cleaning and doing a few upgrades.
    I don't care who, what, or when. I will NEVER allow a contractor to disrespect my home. It matters not one iota if it is expensive hardwood or KMart vinyl tile. It may be his job, but it is my home. I learned to be assertive on that remodel. Learned really well. Ya done good :)

• tnpgw
    15 years ago

Soon as I read this I said to myself "She must live in the south", LOL!

I'm a single woman who owns my own home in the south and I have had the same disrespect from men here, and women too. The women think something's not right with me because I choose to be single and "OMG you don't have kids, what's wrong with you?" It's as if you have to be married, barefoot and pregnant (again) around here or you're considered weird.

I was a member of the women's auxillary at church and our meetings were all about showing support for "our men". At group dinners, the women were not allowed to eat until the men had their fill, and the women got the leftovers. I've never seen anything like this anywhere else I've lived. Needless to say, I'm no longer a member of that church, but it's the most popular religion here, and that is the mindset of most of the people where I live.

I'm having a heck of a time with contractors right now. They don't take women seriously here and I'm really sick of it. I feel like I'm going to have to hire a man to pretend to be my DH, just to deal with the contractors. The reason I'm fixing up my house is to put it on the market, so I can move far, far from the south, LOL! I know it's not this way all over the south, but there are those "pockets" in the south where it's like living in another world.

• User
    15 years ago

Briefly OT: Tnpd, I invite you to check out the Episcopal Church! I live in the deep South and that attitude would never get a toehold in our denomination.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

kswl: Very interesting article on "the fight for the Episcopal Church" (or something like that) in this month's Harper's magazine (or was it The Atlantic Monthly? I think it was Harper's). . .

• pink_overalls
    15 years ago

Mollie -- I hope that your so-called painters are outta there. I just came to this discussion, or I would have jumped in sooner and encouraged you to do whatever it takes to get these people out of your house.

I was a professional housepainter for 15 years. We always said the worst jobs were the ones where you have to work after bad painters have worked. Painting problems (drips, splatters, wrong materials, wrong equipment, poor timing, inexperience, poor attitude, non-completion) are usually difficult and time-consuming to correct.

My point is that you want to make sure the next painter your contractor brings in doesn't just pick up where the others left off. The new painter will have to clean up after them and correct their mistakes. Maybe they didn't sand the walls and trim before painting them, for example. Painter #2 will have to go back and sand a finish coat, and reapply paint.

You need to find a way to be firm and businesslike with your contractor. Ignore the gender stereotypes. I live in the south, too, and have found that if you take yourself seriously and stand your ground, as long as you are polite and respectful, you will be taken seriously and get results.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Glad to hear they're gone, but not impressed that the contractor hasn't contacted you. Sure, he's now got to find painters to finish the job but if you don't tell him what you expect from any future subs the same will happen again.

You said...."husband believes we signed a legal contract with contractor that he "manages" the subs and doesn't want a hassle with contractor". Maybe you've never had to deal with problem contractors and subs before but in the future remember that you're the one with the checkbook and you hired the contractor. You have every right to refuse any subs he's hired and every right to run them off your property whenever you choose too. Your GC should have gotten on the phone with them and told them to leave the minute you complained.

Having said all this, I can understand what you're going thru. I see it every time I go back and visit relatives! There just seems to be this mindset where everyone tip toes around confrontation..........at least in my part of the South! ;)

• dtinbna
    15 years ago

"No - you aren't living in the wrong century. Your husband is"

"You are correct, your husband is correct for his world view, which is, what, 19th century England"

"At least I did not have to contend with a husband's (or GC's) patriarchal attitude"

LOL! I think I'd just have to go ahead and kick my hubby's arse for saying such a thing as well

Aside from the painters.....I think one of the problems here is airing a private conversation held between you and your husband up for comment on a public forum. I can just imagine what some of you would say if you knew your husband was quoting some of the things you say on a message board.

Its just not "fighting" fair. You have a problem....take it to the place where the problem can be resolved...and that place isnt here.

• estreya
    15 years ago

I really don't think "being assertive" is necessarily effective if someone just doesn't share the same work ethic or standards for quality.

I just had floors done, and was "polite" but "assertive" about my observations where they were falling short of the quality i expected. Advance time, and i now have a large stain in my chair i can't get out, scratches in my wood furniture, bashes in my moldings, and a floor (which is what they were here for) that was cut just short of the molding in a few spots.

I'm beside myself, but at a level of frustration where i don't want them setting foot in the house again. As someone else earlier said, you're left to pick up the pieces and fix things.

With all due respect to contractors and sub-contractors who don't fall into this category, my ideal world would be one where i never have to have another contractor in my home again.

• User
    15 years ago

Its just not "fighting" fair. You have a problem....take it to the place where the problem can be resolved...and that place isnt here.

I think it's pretty innocuous. We don't really "know" each other here -- for the most part there's no "real life" personal contact, so many of us feel safe in venting issues that arise in our personal relationships. Sometimes we just need to write out what we're feeling and have our feelings validated by other women. That's one of the many purposes that public forums serve and IMO, there's nothing wrong with it.

• Linda Ross
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am certainly not "fighting" with my husband, we have both had frustrations with the contractor and subs on this project. We are not mad with each other but upset at ourselves as neither of us has been assertive enough with the contractor. It is a relief that no painters showed up this morning. I thought is was "funny" that it took the kid lying with his feet all over my tub to finally push my husband (who is a gentle soul) over the edge and insist the painters be fired. I think besides using this forum to pick out colors and furniture, I have received valuable advice from both men and women here about how to manage the subs and not settle for shoddy workmanhip which I see as an important part of decorating. We are transplanted from the midwest and love the South but it is a different mindset about role models with some people. Unfortunately, many times it is left to women to deal with the day to day decorating decisions and I am really ashamed of my cowardness in dealing with these workmen.

• estreya
    15 years ago

Mollie ... you're beating yourself up far too much. You were dealing with a level of belligerence that quite likely could not have been influenced regardless of what you said and how you said it.

I looked at a bashed in bit of molding (a hammer "slipped") and said, that has to be filled, or maybe even the strip replaced. The response? "Oh, you'd be amazed how much white paint will hide." This dialog was repeated twice, until it became clear to me that no matter what i said, or how i approached this man, he was not going to properly repair the damage he'd done, because he simply had a different definition of "it's fine."

Do you see what i'm saying? You can't say that you and your husband weren't assertive enough. If you're banging your head against a wall, does it really matter how hard you bang it?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Mollie, please don't think of yourself as a "coward," because it's simply not true. Dealing with contractors is a learning curve--we've all been there.

dtinbna: There's nothing unseemly or disloyal about what Mollie has shared. Nothing wrong with sharing disagreements one has had with one's spouse over decorating issues--again, we've all been there. Plus, my guess is that her husband couldn't care less. I know mine wouldn't. :)

• redlodger
    15 years ago

Mollie-- I hope you have new, competent painters on the job and I am sorry for everything you had to go through. It was an eye-opening experience for me to read through the postings and see that, in some parts of the country, women are not given the same courtesy and respect as men.

In our society today it seems that there are more and more people who feel that doing a second rate job at anything is just fine. Where is the pride in doing the job to the best of your ability? That son needed to see, IMHO, that the job that his father was doing wasn't up to the standards that you expected. If nobody points that out he will grow up believing that shoddy work is acceptable. You were well within your rights to complain; it is your house and you will have to live with the completed project. Not to mention that you are paying the bills!

What frustrates me about your situation is that your spouse didn't stand united with you. If my DH knew the job was being done incorrectly and didn't support me, that would anger me more than anything else. Knowing about the female bias in your area he should have stood shoulder to shoulder with you in support. Of course, I live up north and have not had to deal with this gender issue so I suppose it's easy for me to say.

I wish you the best of luck on the remainder of your project.

• dtinbna
    15 years ago

Oh......I must have misread somewhere that these message boards were only for women. I guess Ill just mosey on over to the sports or automotive message boards...or someplace thats equally as stereotypical. Hmmm...I guess its not just men afterall that deal in stereotypes or assumptions about gender. Good luck with your painting Mollie....before too long it will all be over with and youll be able to enjoy your home again. And to leave you with this...do you all think for one moment that contractors dont talk down to men as well? It may not be a men-women thing you are experiencing, but a contractor thing.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

dtinbna: What's your deal? Nobody's dealing in "stereotypes" here. In my experience, contractors--as a rule, and cognizant of exceptions to that rule--take men more seriously than they do women. As do auto salesmen, etc. That's the way it is. Hardly news.

• User
    15 years ago

Jeez Louise. (Oh, wait - I guess I'd better say Jeez Louis as well.)

Is it bran muffin time around here again?

;-D

• kahlanne
    15 years ago

I was born and raised in MS and now live in Louisiana so I am a southern lady through and through. Beyond that, my dad was a shovenist (can't remember how to spell it but you know what I mean). He believe woman should be inside barefoot and pregnant. My husband on the other hand is not at all. Without trying to catch rath of the board, I do think your dh was partially right. Yes, you should be able to chew the painter out in front of anyone. The problem is that there are some out there that are pigs and it will only cause more trouble to do so in front of their son. Seems to me your painter could fit into the pig category. Of course, this shouldn't be the case but it might have helped that the kid wasn't present and your dh or other contractor do the fussing. Right or wrong sometimes doesn't matter. In the end, you wanted them to do a better job and if he is a pig that doesn't want a woman telling him what to do then it would probably make matters worse rather than better.

Having said that, I know what should be done but I would have tossed that pig out on his curly tail. I never back down, even when I probably should, and being that I am a large woman 6' tall, I usually get my way. Dh just shakes his head when he sees that light in my eyes and my walking off with that look. So you see, I don't fault you but at the same time I do understand your dh. I hope the paint is now finished correctly and you are enjoying life.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Let's not defame pigs, okay? LOL PIgs happen to be very intelligent and loving creatures.

• love-my-lilhome
    15 years ago

This not respecting a woman discussion is not just a southern thang.
    Like, the men painters up north listen to a woman every time???????? I don't think so.
    Its not the area you live in ...its the mindset of the idiot you deal with in any area.
    A man doesn't have to be raised in the south to think women
    should be barefoot and pregnant.
    Some men "up yonder" still haven't found their way into
    the 21st century.
    With that being pointed out.....regardless where you live or how polite you have been raised.....when anyone raises your blood pressure in your own home....show them the front door.
    Then smile....its looking up from then on.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

estreya ,

In cases like yours you should have refused payment until all problems were repaired.......or use it to pay someone else to repair the damage.

As you've discovered, how assertive you are and someone's work ethic have nothing to do with each other. You tried the nice way, but then after his brush off (no pun intended) you should have dropped the polite approach. If you didn't like the quality of his work you should have stopped his work and shown him the door. Cutting the floor short of the baseboard!?? Give me a break!

The issue of this thread really isn't how people in different parts of the county interact.........it's how to handle contractors. TELL them what you want....don't hint at it. In the case of the hammer dent, my response would have been, "paint can hide a lot of things but it's too bad it's not going to hide that. So you have some repair work to do.......at your expense".

I've said it before and this will be my last response, but I'm perplexed by homeowners who have total control of the $$ yet allow themselves to be so intimidated by total jerks working in their home?
    There are many contractors out there who do quality work and take pride in it. They may be busy and you may have to wait for them to do your job........but it'll be worth it.

• estreya
    15 years ago

Annz, your points are all perfectly correct, perfectly well taken. And i tell myself those very same things over and over again. I don't know why ... i truly don't know why i can't seem to cross a certain line, you know? Even when my observations and grievances are perfectly legitimate. It's as if the choices are to roll over or explode, and inevitably, i roll over.

But this post isn't about me, to be sure (why isn't everything about me?). I hope, mollie, your paint issues are on the right track again. Keep a watchful eye, and follow closely the advise you've gotten from others here. :)