SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeninthesky

Identifying Root Stock rose of Angel Face / Do I hack it all off?

gardenInTheSky
11 years ago

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for awhile and finally decided to join myself today! I have several questions for you kind folks -

I recently bought an Angel Face rose from the grocery store and stuck it in a pot on my balcony along with some herbs. This would be my first venture in growing a full-sized rose, so I'm hoping it turns out well but I think the pot might be too small..

In any case, today I noticed that the two branches have different leaves - one has reddish new growth with paired leaves, and the other thinner one has new growth that's green, with alternating leaves. From browsing around online it seems that Angel Face has new growth that's red, meaning the green-leafed branch should be root stock and hacked off. What's confusing to me is that it appears the thinner branch is above the other branch on the main stem, and I thought root stock was supposed to show up from below?

It seems strange to me that the original grower would leave a root stock cane on the plant. Does this happen often / should I watch out if i get any more plants from the grocery store?

If I hack the green-leafed branch off I'll have an unbalanced rose bush, and I kind of like the idea of having two different types of flowers on the same plant. Would it be really awful if I let both branches grow?

I thought about attempting to root a cutting of the Angel Face so I could have an own root plant, but it seems that it might turn out worse than a grafted one. Is that right?

Thanks!

Comments (22)