SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

I'd appreciate your input about this situation please

sooz
15 years ago

I have a small townhouse for sale. It's been for sale on and off for 3 years without any offers, and finally, I lowered the asking price last month and got an offer today.

However, the offer is for seven thousand dollars MORE than the asking price, with the condition that I pay forty-five hundred dollars toward the down-payment AND pay forty-five hundred dollars toward the buyer's closing costs.

I was told this is because the buyer doesn't have a decent down-payment to qualify for an FHA loan.

I really want to sell this place, so do I take this offer? I will make a small profit when all is said and done.

Is this a "normal-but-really-creative" offer in these trying times of almost nothing selling?

Would I pay taxes on the higher selling price, even though I'd be "out" $9K? Sheesh, I don't even know if I'm explaining this clearly!

My sister suggested "countering" with a smaller amount "contributed" for down-payment and "contributed" toward the buyers closing costs.

In essence, I'm spending money to help this person buy my place, which I really REALLY want to sell and then I'll be over and done with the whole thing. It may actually be worth my while to do things this way, but I'm certainly not objective.

Thanks for any help! I don't know anyone savvy to ask, and my realtor is doing one of those "dual relationship" things. Please please help, and thank you!!!

Comments (14)