SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Family room redecorating help, please - pics

pudgybaby
12 years ago

My DH and I would really appreciate some help with redecorating our family room. The house was built in 1975, a traditional style in a Denver suburb. The previous owners added on to the family room, basically doubling the size and adding the bump-out with the windows (the old family room ended at the hearth/mantle, so the fireplace took up that whole wall). We think they did a nice job with the architecture, but there is LOTS of wood. Please fire away with any and all comments, and TIA!

Things that MUST NOT change:

- TV must be on the wall where it is (we can see it from the kitchen)

- Curtains and rod are new (I sewed the curtains, a lot of work!) so we don't want to change these

- We want a ceiling fan w/ light, but we are definitely replacing the existing one. I included a link to the one that I am considering (ORB or white? What do you think?)

- Wood floors were recently refinished as part of the kitchen remodel

- Slate on the fireplace. It used to be orange brick - we like the slate

Things we would prefer not to change and things we would like to reuse:

- Wall color (C2 palomino). It is a nice deep gold, although somewhat bright in some light. We had a color consultant help and we think that it is the best choice with our orangey wood

- Overhead light locations

- Mantle: it's really long, but the hearth is too, and we just would rather not deal with it. But it is a problem

- We like the barcolounger (DH's chair) and the end table

Other than that, we are open to new furniture, carpet, lamps, artwork, new TV, etc. It might take us a while to re-furnish, but that's ok.

Here are some pics (it's a gray day today). First the floor plan:

From the kitchen eat-in area towards the window wall and back yard. This pic is the most representative of the wall color:

The fireplace & TV wall (this is with the camera flash and the wall color is not this yellow IRL):

The garage wall, again with the flash that is making the walls too light yellow (that cabinet was owned by the previous owners, and we have lived here 16 years!):

Towards the kitchen, dining room in the back ground:

One last pic. I put up some artwork that we used to have above the fireplace. Maybe we could commission an artist on Etsy to update the pictures? Photobucket doesn't want to resize this pic smaller for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celing fan w/ light: ORB or white?

Comments (17)