SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonw9_gw

Help Me Stay Motivated: Waiting for 'Right' House.

jonw9
11 years ago

I usually don't come to vent or complain, but I kind of need some 'keep the faith' talk and some advice. This may get long, but I will try to keep it short.

Last summer I took a new job. We sold our home of 10 years rather easily. The down side was that we essentially broke even, receiving $300 at closing.

We tried to buy 3 houses last year.
First house didn't appraise. Sellers wouldn't move and wanted us to make up the difference with cash. We couldn't (see above) and walked. Lost ~$1,000. The house sold 2 months later for the lower price they wouldn't come down 2.

Second house we offered full asking, no contingencies (closing costs, etc.). We lost, and 5 months later it closed for $1,900 more than we offered. I kind of fear our Realtor let us down on this one. It is still the house I compare all other houses we look at.

Third house, we were under contract. Seller mis-represented the roof,wouldn't repair. We realized we were just settling to not move into an apartment, and walked. Again out ~$1,000.

So now we have been in an apartment since October, and I have been searching every day. In that time, it seems it has gone from a buyers to a sellers market. Lucky us. Buy high, sell low I guess....

We switched realtors, but it still feels like I am doing the work. i don't know at this point if we should keep looking for what we want (see house 2) or look into settling because the 'dream house' doesn't actually exist.

Spring/April is supposed to be a high spot in listings, So far there have barely been a handful of new listings, but nothing worth even looking at. Some of the older listings are actually increasing the sales price.

Things will get better right? The right house 'should' be out there. Or at least that is what I keep hoping for. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Comments (20)