SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sungreen_gw

What do you think of a back-up offer in this situation?

sungreen
12 years ago

We saw a house last week. Later that day, our agent emailed us to tell us someone else made an offer that same day which was accepted, so the house was off the market. We really regretted not getting in there in time to make an offer and asked our agent about making a back-up offer just in case, realizing it probably won't come through. He said he would "keep an eye" on its status and let us know if it fell through.

The property's status is show for backups, so a few days later I emailed the listing agent, told him who we were working with as our buyer's agent, and asked if the sellers were accepting backup offers. He told us yes, to talk to our agent if we want to make one. We called our agent and he refuses to make the offer right now. He told us he spoke to the listing agent and they know we want the house, that if something falls through they will call us first, but doesn't want to write an offer because he believes it will go through. Both agents are with the same broker and know each other pretty well.

Should this be okay with us? I understand they have all talked it out but I'm worried it might fall through and there be some lag time where another party makes an offer and we lose our shot. I'm not sure if I'm being silly or if our agent is not doing his job. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Comments (11)