SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blindthesky

frustrated - seller wants more then place is worth

blindthesky
16 years ago

We are in the process of trying to buy our first property. Our lease is up at the end of February and we're looking to get into a condo instead of another year of renting.

We looked a few properties and liked a condo in the same "complex" as our apartment, listed 169,900. The 2 comps in the same complex i could find sold at 132 last year and 152 6 months ago. we offered 142, with the hopes of settling around 150.

We get a call back today saying that the seller will not go below 165 ( seller HAS to get at least 165, according the her realtor), but countered us at 168. Zillow ( while i know isn't always accurate) says the place was bought in 2004 for 110. there is NO WAY there are 55,000 in updates to that place. The cabinets and walls look like they were painted with mops and a 4 year old with a basic grasp of putting puzzles together could have tiled the kitchen area better than this seller did.

I guess I'm just frustrated being new to this process, knowing that a place isn't worth what a seller wants, and having to give up on something you can afford. Honestly, 170 isn't out of our budget, not by a long shot. We just don't think it is worth that much, and would rather be saving the extra money. Plus, since we only plan on staying there for about 3 year our plan is to buy, sell and at least break even i just don't think that will happen buying it for 165

The listing says "MAKE ALL OFFERS KNOW!!!!" but this obviously wasn't the case. what would you do? would you counter higher, lets say 154, just to see what happens, or not even bother since it isn't what the seller wants to get for it?

Comments (38)