SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

more going on in the back garden...150 years yesterday...

User
13 years ago

I was at my very favorite vintage garden shop and found something that was meant to come home with me. I cried a bit and found a way , I feel, to honor the memory of all that fell at a time that was so sad in our country's history. This iron hospital bed was used during the Civil War. It has been let to rust but if you look closely you can see the spread winged eagle and sword crossed over a key. There are also 13 stars representing the 13 colonies. This insignia was later adopted by the Quartermaster Corps. There are 2 holes that were used to hold a canopy of mosquito netting over the patient.

I am a retired RN. I used to pore over books in the library about nurses during war time. I never served in the military but my DS1 was in the USMC and my late brother served in Viet Nam and my high school boyfriend was killed there in 1967.

I am going to make a netting with chicken wire to hold soil and I am going to fill the bed frame and plant wild flowers. I can't think of a better way to honor all those who are gone but never forgotten. c

I added a bottle tree to hold all my bottles. Also a few new vintage tablecloths that each has some shade of purple/lavender. DH and I have lunch out here almost every day. I also finished staining the arbor and the fence last week. Has taken almost 2 years LOL. Better later than never.

Comments (21)