SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wimom27

going to court over back CS after 15+ years!

wimom27
16 years ago

I just got a letter in the mail today pertaining to a court hearing coming up that my 1st husb. requested a hearing on. He has not paid a full CS ever! We were divorced in 1987. Now our 2 children are grown and in their 20's. He, however, still owes over $20,000 in back child support. I had finally pretty much given up on ever getting anything and it just wasn't worth the fight to find him and collect. This is a very absent BD... never had much contact with my children through the years, although I attempted to keep in contact with him to keep him informed about the kids and what was going on in their lives. I made attempts through the years to take the kids to visit him and/or his mother. A few years ago after his mother's death, he pretty much disappeared. My kids, who are adults now, have attempted many times to contact him, with very limited success.

Well, now after all of this time, there is going to be a court hearing on this issue. The paper says that I do not need to be in attendance at the hearing, but I'm thinking I need to at least call in. The original CO for CS was in MN, but X lives in OK and has for many years. I noticed that even though the CS agency that handles the CS is still in MN, the court hearing is being held in OK.... I'm not sure why this is, any ideas?

Should I just basically ignore this whole thing and if anything comes of it, great... if not... so what? OR should I do a call-in "appearance" at the hearing and ask to be heard on this issue? I'm somewhat confused on how far to push this issue since it has been so long and my children are grown and out on their own now.

Comments (19)