SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smokeynite

Help or my ponds are going to be turned into a basketball court!!

smokeynite
16 years ago

I have had my ponds for several years now. 2 ponds connected by a stream, all made from EPDM liners stuck together. I even have a waterfall that I have finally gotten to stop leaking.

However, in the years since I have switched my liners from pre-formed to the EPDM liner, I have always had a leak. I've stopped running the water to see which pond goes down, and found that it was in the waterfall. So after 5 tries, I finally got the waterfall fixed.

THEN I have a new leak, in the small pond liner, so I take that out and replace it with a new EPDM liner, then stick the stream liner to the pond liner. Guess what? STILL LEAKING! Its leaking where the two are connected.

I have tried EVERYTHING that I can possibly think of to fix it. This is not a smooth merging of liners by any means. The stream liner comes into the pond and it is all bunched up in some places. There's really nothing I can do to smooth it out. I've tried!

I used double-sided tape to put the two liners together. As soon as the tape got wet, it pulled away, causing the water to leak. I tried making my own patch by putting the double sided tape on a scrap piece of liner and then sticking it onto the pond liner. Same thing happened, got wet, pulled away.

I figured I'd try a real patch, so I bought aa bunch of the Beckett's liner patches and stuck them all over the joints, and then, for good measure, I put patches along the edges of the patches! Got wet, pulled away.

I tried vinyl epoxy glue to try to get it to stick, just fell apart. I got aquarium sealant and put it at the edges of every patch, filling in every hole I could find, gave it 48 plus hours to cure. Some of it pulled away so I went and got AQUAMEND epoxy. It got hard, but didn't do the job.

I went to buy MORE aquarium sealant today and went in my pond to check where I needed to put it, cause it was leaking more than ever. The sealant just pulled away!!

I bought liquid nails waterproof glue, but I haven't used it yet because I don't know if it is safe for my fish. I can't find lap sealant around here anywhere (when I ask roofing places, or frankly anywhere, they look at me like I'm crazy)

What do I do?? I've heard about using cornstarch, but I'm thinking that is for little holes.

Do I hire a professional and pay them thousands of dollars to remove all the huge rocks that I have put all around my pond liner, take up the liner, and do stuff I have already tried, or do I pay somebody a thousand to come fill my ponds with cement and make a basketball court of the damn thing??

Because I have been having nothing but leaking problems with this thing since I got it, and I would love just ONCE, to enjoy a whole summer without having to mess with it!!

HELP!!!!

Comments (5)