SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stewall

Inspiration and help sought - turning a 12,400 gal pool into a pond.

stewall
9 years ago

I'm fed up running my pool; expenses plus my wife and I hardly ever use it, so I am going to turn it into a pond.

I have had ponds before and seem to be quite successful with them but I have never had a 6 ft deep pond.

I considered filling the bottom with dirt or sand bags or plastic crates (etc) to bring it to about 3 ft deep but the costs turned me off. I finally decided to just fill it with water, no liner, and take it from there.

I have already closed off the pool outlets and inlets, scupper and drains so, in theory, I could always turn it back to a pool at a later date if required (!?)

My problems at this time are:

1. Whether to throw 6 inches of dirt and pebbles into the bottom or not

2. How to achieve marginal plants around the deep portions (I was thinking of plastic storage racks mounted to a suitable height but with the curves at the bottom it is hard to get them close to the edge of the pond. Bearing in mind that I will probably wish to access them for trimming, cross-planting, etc - a wading pond would be good, of course, but not so in 6 ft of water!)

3. With curved (rollover) edges along about half of the pool, I am wondering if I can hang shelves over the edge window-box-style

4. What plants will survive in 6 ft of water

I have included a photo of the pool as it is today

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Steve

Comments (26)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner