SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

deciding pond size for gf's & Koi

daniellalell
15 years ago

Some day soon I will start excavating for the new bigger pond. Was gonna do 11x9x2.5, but now I am thinking 11x7x3, just one plant shelf along 2 sides and back, front will be a straight drop down. Waterfall in the right back corner.

Will this size; 11x7x3 be good enough to keep the fish in overwinter? Is it big enough for them to be happy? I have 6 or 7 goldfish and 1 Koi who is still small, prob about

6-7" long. Hope to get at least 1 more Koi, maybe 2 more max. My main concern is will 11x7 be enough room to swim & live happily? Or should I go back to the original 11x9, which I can still go 3' deep with. I just think it would look better longer than wide. Plus my pump is 2000gph, so I am thinking if I go with the 11x7 the pond capacity is 1732 gallons. If I go with the larger 11x9 it will be 1980 gallons.

I def want the pond to look longer than wider, and I don't think 2 feet will really be as noticeable as I want it to be. I want it to be a rectangle with rounded corners..I guess that would be a long oval, lol.

Someone just tell me what to do, lol:p Which size is better for the fish. I can't make up my mind, and this seems to be all I can think about. I want to start digging already, lol.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting