SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahpnw

Barn/Basketball Court/Outoor Kitchen/Office

sarahpnw
5 years ago

Ok - first all, thank you for your help! I have learned so much from this site over the years!

We are in the VERY early stages of designing a multipurpose building on our property. It will be a "barn" that will measure approx. 60' x 60' all in, with one side acting as storage (my husband builds things and has a lot of logs that have come down from our property to play with) and the other side an open outdoor kitchen. The inside will host a half court basketball set up (we have 3 boys and live in the PNW, so indoors activities are great. We will also be including a bathroom and some sort of office/guest/gym situation. While we'd love this to be super fancy, we don't have the budget for it, nor are we fancy people. We want to be able to be outside all year round, and love the space.

My question, finally, is this. Does anyone have any thoughts on the cost of something like this (we know it will vary WIDELY and right now are hoping we can keep it less than $100k). With the research we've done, and people we've talked to that seems very reasonable, but the more I think about all that will go into it, the more things seems to add up.

My question, finally, is this. Does anyone have any thoughts on the cost of something like this (we know it will vary WIDELY and right n ow are hoping we can keep it less than $100k). With the research we've done, and people we've talked to that seems very reasonable, but the more I think about all that will go into it, the more things seems to add up.

We are in the process of getting the site plan reviewed (all seems to be in order) and have engaged an architect (friend) who is helping with the plans. At what point should we start engaging contractors?

Has anyone built something like this? Know anyone who has?

Basically, just looking for any advice, things to watch out for, things to consider we haven't, etc. before we undergo this massive investment.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)