SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Yesterday's gardens - Part 2 - More photos.

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

As promised, here's the second instalment.

The following garden was created last mid-August. Before then, it was all lawn. There will be more lawn taken in this area later in the year. At least 80% of the plants in this bed are winter sown and include 4 Buddleias, Heliopsis Summer Sun, Foxglove, Lavender (Pink and White), Potentilla Helen Jane, Asclepias Tuberosa, Tagetes, Red Lupines (from this year), etc. Just waiting for blooms! This garden is seen from the kitchen window...

{{gwi:409396}}

Here's another garden in the making. It's got the 'bone' plants and now it's just a matter of snuffing the lawn in this area and planting some winter sown babies from last winter. I see potential!!!

{{gwi:409397}}

Right when you come into the driveway, you see the Japanese Quince propagated by my mother surrounded by Hostas which were winter sown. They are on their third year.

{{gwi:409398}}

A few steps away...

{{gwi:409399}}

A couple more steps and a bit of a turn and you are well into the hosta gardens. The deers haven't been here yet.

{{gwi:409400}}

A little closer. The Meadow Rue (Thalictrum) is always beautiful at this time of year as are the native ferns among the hostas. All hostas were given as gifts or divisions from friends, or rescued.

{{gwi:202460}}

Turn a little bit and you'll see the hosta gardens melding into more perennial gardens.

{{gwi:409401}}

Coming out of the hosta gardens are beds with winter sown Astilbes and other plants bought and given such as Phlox Paniculata, Crazy Daisy, Saponaria, Monarda Jacob Cline, etc. There are so many buds on lots of these plants right now but I do enjoy the greens!

{{gwi:409403}}

Next is the Whale's Back garden. You can see the huge boulder behind the plants, hence the name. The huge leaved plant is Inula Goliath winter sown 2002/2003. This bed also includes a Buddleia (yearling) and other various winter sown plants. The lime green plant in the front is a shrub, a variegated Forsythia. Some branches are being layered for rooting.

{{gwi:409405}}

Allium Sicilian Honey Garlic about to bloom.

{{gwi:409407}}

At a right angle is a new garden bed. (You can see the corner Inula Goliath at the back.) Originally, this was an area for winter composting, then a holding bed, and now holds winter sown Penstemon, Perennial Poppies red, Geranium Purple Heron, Siberian Wallflowers, LOTS of foxgloves, Columbines, Joe Pye Weed, etc. The variegated Wiegela was another rooted cutting from my mother. :O) You'll note the huge logs behind the garden - it's being expanded later this year to those logs adding another 3 feet in depth.

{{gwi:409409}}

Last, but not least, is the holding bed which has been filled with Dahlias a friend was going to throw away and various winter sown plants from this year including Echinaceas, Amaranths, Asclepias Curassavica, KMOTGG, Sunflowers, Tagetes, Cosmos, etc. I'm excited about this one and am looking forward to seeing it in August. :O)

{{gwi:409412}}

OK, I'm done. Anyone up for a cup of tea??

Comments (16)

Sponsored