SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Yesterday's gardens. Part 1 (photos)

tiffy_z5_6_can
15 years ago

Literally. Took the photos last night. I'll show you parts of the rock wall gardens and the front and south side of the house as well as the start of the shade gardens with the blue poppies. Might post the rest of the gardens later today. Enjoy!

The Lupines are still going strong here. These are wild ones.

{{gwi:242623}}

The pink Lupines...

{{gwi:397827}}

From the pink Lupines to the purples. This area is filled with winter sown plants - Sweet Williams, Asclepias Incarnatas, Balloon Flowers, creeping Dianthus, Coneflowers, etc.

{{gwi:397828}}

At the end of this section of the 'rock wall' are the perennial poppies winter sown a few years ago. Later this area will be filled with wsn Echinaceas.

{{gwi:397829}}

A section of the other half of the 'rock wall' gardens. In this area are Veronicastrum Virginicums - in the middle - wsn 5 years ago. Also Columbines, Centaurea Montana, Catchly, etc.

{{gwi:397831}}

My favourite Columbine is in this garden...

{{gwi:397833}}

The first Blue Poppy bloom of the season. Pretty next to the Bleeding Heart which refuses to stop blooming. :O)

{{gwi:397835}}

The south side of the house at my dog's eye level. Winter sown are the Mulleins, Lupines, Lynchnis Flo-Jovis, Hollyhocks, Sweet Williams, etc. You can't see the Hollyhocks and SW, but they will be showing off in the next while.

{{gwi:397837}}

I just adore this Foxglove!

{{gwi:397838}}

The front of the house. Wsn bloomers right now are German Catchfly, Geranium Pyrenaicum, Columbines and a white Thalictrum. The Deutzia bush has been taken over!

{{gwi:397839}}

Love the white Columbines! They look like they are dressed for a June wedding.

{{gwi:397840}}

OK. Have to get back out there and do some weeding. Hope you liked! :O)

Comments (48)

• northforker
    15 years ago

oh yes - liked it very much! What beautiful gardens you have, such variety, and everything looks so healthy and happy! The stands of lupines are just FABULOUS and I Love those white columbines, so elegant.

Tell me.. is the pink tall flower to the right of the foxglove in that picture a verbascum? I've got seedlings of a verbascum chaixill Album that are suppose to look something like that (next year when they bloom)

Nancy

• carrie630
    15 years ago

tiff - you have the MOST beautiful gardens I've ever seen.

We all can appreciate and admire all the work you have put into your gardening and all the HELP you have given all of our newbies (and oldies, like me.. :0) )

Your pictures belong in a Beautiful Homes magazine! Really!

Carrie

• Related Discussions

Sunday's Best Photos - Part 1

Q

Comments (10)
    Sarah - my Roses in Snow hasn't looked good at all until today so give it time. Rita - I love the hot colors, too, but they sure look different by the end of the day in this heat. Only Red Volunteer seemed to still look good by late this evening.
    ...See More

New Michigan Hosta Bed - Part 1 - Warning 11 photos included

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks Pam, and yes, I've already run into the problem with the white tags. In the past, I have used copper tubing with a P-touch label on it and that works great. Last fall, I had all these hostas potted up and was moving. I found those plastic labels on sale at Home Depot and bought several dozen of them. I used indelible Magic Marker to mark them. This was a temporary measure to get me through the move and the winter. Over the winter, the marker disappeared from some tags, and many other tags became brittle and broke off. Some even got moved away from the original pot. As a result, that center bed that you mentioned is the "Bed of the Unknown Hosta". There are a few in there that were at the new house... unmarked of course. The rest are ones with broken, blank, or missing plastic tags. I've identified a couple of them since planting, just by process of elimination, but some might never get identified. It's really sad. I would never EVER buy those plastic tags again and would never recommend them to anyone. All of these hostas will get marked with GOOD LONG LASTING markers before snow flies!
    ...See More

What is Blooming in Your Garden - June 2011 - Photos Part 1

Q

Comments (47)
    It looks like HF Young, but there are a bunch of clematis that have similar color and bloom time that it could be, including Fujimusume, Silmakivi, Lasurstern, Zara, Cezanne, and Diana's Delight. There are also some with similar color that bloom a bit later, including Prince Charles.
    ...See More

What is Blooming in Your Garden - July 2011 - Part 1

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks, DtD. The hosta and yucca are in the same view area and are seen together. I never really noticed it before since the yucca hadn't bloomed; it was just a nice foliage accent. I've been waiting for both of them to bloom the last few weeks when I first saw the yucca stalk. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of them together tomorrow. Opportunistic indeed, but the phlox gives a pretty show with absolutely no effort on my part. Until I have to deadhead them all which is a royal pain, but if I do, the bloom just keeps going and the hummingbirds are ecstatic. Last year I decided to expand the phlox paniculata collection to take over after the phlox maculata show. It was a nice idea but the new woodchuck is chomping on all the paniculatas. It was never a problem before, but the dog from up the street who used to make rounds every day with his pal is no longer in action, so the woodchuck is getting bolder. Claire
    ...See More
  • tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy,

I'm thinking you meant to the 'left' of the foxglove in photos 8 and 9. You are right, that is a mullein/verbascum. I have deep pink ones in the gardens but this is my favourite. The flower petals are an old peach/pastel pink. It took three years to flower but has been there for 5 years. Usually the winter will take them to flower heaven after 3 years here.

Carrie,
    As per usual, you are making me blush. :O) I bow to the Zinnia Profusion Goddess!!

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Tiffy,
    That is stunning! I honestly can't say what pic or plant is more beautiful. Wow...
    Thanks for the eye-candy :-)

Linda

• grandmachris
    15 years ago

Tiffy,

It's simply gorgeous! You and I are both in zone 5/6 but
    the timing is really different. We're ahead into early
    daylilies and first bloom of echinacea. I had an old packet of wild lupine seed from Pinetree seeds (2006) and
    just trampled about 1/3 of them into an open place on my
    hill about 3 days ago. I'll see if anything happens and
    wintersow the rest.

Chris

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I'm just speechless Tiffy!!!

It just gets more beautiful every year and I am also anxious to see more :)

What is that tall white one from the dog's view? I love it!

Vera

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, Vera. You got me laughing so hard that I had to wait a minute to answer you. That is the - and there IS only one plant there - Dame's Rocket which I was trying to ID earlier this year. LOL!! Isn't it sweet?? When you walk by it and the Lupines you smell the sweetest perfume. I think the both of them are in competition for who smells the best. :O)

I've never seen a DR grow like that. Usually they have just one stalk, but the base of this plant was so huge it moved over the Sweet Williams, or should I say 'pushed' over the SW. Now you can see why I couldn't believe it was a DR.

(Thanks for the chuckle. I needed that. Having a crisis moment over where to put 10 Astilbes I got for 50 cents each at WM the other day...)

Chris,

I see Vera's pictures and I think the same thing. How different! Where are you? I am in Nova Scotia, Canada, just a dory ride away from the Atlantic Ocean. We are blessed with our summers which go right into late October at times.

I hope your Lupines make it. If not, do winter sow them as they like the cold for germination.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

OMGoodness Tiffy!! how gorgeous!!! i do love the verbascum!! i wintersowed a bunch and some i got from angie, i haven't heard from her in ages!! :'(
    i'm the same, i cannot say which one i honestly love the absolutely the most??!! LOL thank you for sharing your gorgeious pic with us!! i can't imagine the time it took to plant all of that!! WOW just keeps coming to mind!! with me and my ideas of my small little raised garden ideas!! LOL ~Medo

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

I have given up growing lupines. Thank you for letting me enjoy yours. They are magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing - I just love your work.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Dames Rocket? That must be foliage from something else in front!
    Have never seen white Hesperis.... That very common weed up here is always pink. Is currently on the monitor list as addition to the noxious weed list here and has been added to other states Noxious lists already.
    It sure is too pretty to be so bad LOL!

• PVick
    15 years ago

Beautiful, gorgeous, stupendous, magnificent, exquisite, splendid, charming ..... okay, I'll have to to the thesaurus to get more words!

Now I'm waiting for the second installment ....

PV

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank-you graciously Bakemom. I know it's probably too hot in Ohio in the summer for them, so the little wild one I left to grow in the gardens after culling lots of others last week will have your name on it. :O)

You are right Vera. The foliage in the front of the DR is from two footings of Lupines in there. Here the DR bloom deep purple, light lilac, and white. The whites are not as common and I will be saving seeds. They are quite easy to control here and only grow in pockets here and there. In these parts everyone wants them in their gardens.

PV,

The second instalment will be posted later this evening. Right now I'm planting pots for my deck. Aren't you proud of me?? :O) I like the 'exquisite'!

• drippy
    15 years ago

wow.

(she whispered in total awe)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

... and then there was Miss Kim's response which quietly made me smile with satisfaction... :O) I know you are busy these days and am glad you saw the photos. I'm sure you'll be creating great gardens in the Carolinas very soon.

PS - Totally off topic here, but DD is now taking piano lessons and I'm enjoying the music in the house.

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

WOW! I want a blue poppy too! I have never seen those before! Your whole garden is lovely.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Tiffy,

You are my hero..... What a green thumb you have.....I am jealous. Really I am ........ BARB

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Tiffy: It honestly is more beautiful every year. Those blue poppies are to die for- I am in awe every time I see yours.

And aside from the gorgeous plants and flowers, nobody has ever made rocks look better than you do.

Karen

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Very beautiful. Enjoy seeing how your gardens progress over the seasons.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Evonne,

Not sure if you answered in another post about where you are located. If you are a zone 5/6 in the northeast you might be able to grow the Meconopsis Blue Poppies. They take a while to go from seed to bloom but are worth it. I did lose two plants this past winter, but have more sprouts ready to go in.

Karen,
    I do mosaics and it's been suggested I do some on the rocks, but they look great just like that. I won't mess with a good thing. :O) Thanks!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Your gardens are beautiful! I like the white columbine also. I'll have to get me some.

• northerner_on
    15 years ago

Well Tiffy, what can I say? WONDERFUL!!! You made my day. I spent the weekend indoors (de-cluttering, UGH!)because we had rain and thunderstorm all weekend, so this was a sight for sore eyes. Keep 'em coming!

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

What a great first post to read after being out of town for several days - Tiffy your gardens are stunning to say the least ~~sigh~~ I have to just sit and enjoy your lupines - can't grow them here - Thank you so very very much for sharing your little piece of heaven. Now onto your other thread and more eyecandy.......

Lynne

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

Tiffy: your gardens are gorgeous. When I see all that you can grow I think, hmmmmm, could I live with colder winters?

I love, love, love that columbine. What a beautiful shot...I mean flower! :)

Lisa

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Northerner,

De-cluttering. Hum... Got one of those dumpsters I could have for a day or so?? My DD is a little clutterbug. :O)

Lynne,
    Just went for a drive. It's Canada's B-Day today so we went out for supper. You would have loved the Lupines in the ditches and roadsides right now. All you see is purple drifts at this time of year.

Lisa,

I do enjoy the winter too. No weeds!! :O) Truly, it is a beautiful season.

Thanks for the thoughts from all!

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info! I am in CT and definitely adding blue poppies to my list!!!

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

I came across this post from search on Meconopsis. I grew some from seed to blooming last year (took 2 years), and lost them this past winter to gophers, I think, or possibly too much dampness, or possibly even snails! But, I lean toward the gophers because it seemed too much of a hole there!

Anyway, it's interesting seeing your photos, because I'm just incredibly fond of lupins, and have been growing a lot of them here. I just ordered hundreds of seeds, including some of the "woodfield hybrids" from a grower in the UK that is seriously improving the old Russell strain. I got some last summer from Bluestone perennials and they made the most gigantic plants, with huge leaves! Several went from being 2" plants to mounds almost 2 feet wide right now, and multiplying like mad, making really thick clumps. One of them is even apricot colored, but they're all beautiful. I also grow tree lupins, which are a breeze here.

Anyway, I'm going to try about 10 different types of Meconopsis, like Lingholm, betonicafolia, sheldonii, grandis (grandis was the one that bloomed for me before), regia, etc.

Looks like you've got a great place for growing perennials, thanks for the inspiring photos!

--Ron

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

OH I am suffering from a serious case of poppy envy. I love those blue poppies, but I in zone 3/4 and don't know if they would grow here.

Everything else is beautiful too!

But those poppies.......sigh

Jenny P

• paulan70
    15 years ago

tiffy

I love your gardens. How did you manage to grow lupines. Both of my attempts have showed no results and the poor little lone survivor who tried to make well dh managed to ruin it for him. Lovely garden.

Paula

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ron,
    You must be on the coast? I am floored that you have succeeded with Lupines and Blue Poppies in California. Great job!

Jenny,
    There is a garden in Quebec, Canada where they have been growing these for quite some time and it is a zone 3/4. The difference I believe is that they would have cooler summers than you. That doesn't mean you can't try it. :O)

Paula,

Lupines grow wild here. There is no trying. Just the annual culling of Mama Nature's sowing. I do wish everyone could grow them.

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

Tiffy, I'm probably within 10 miles of the coast, as the crow flies, and we're in a low spot that gets colder than the surrounding areas at night and in winter, plus northern California in general has cool summers (except inland). The lupines self-seed all over the place, so ones that are in impossible places get dug up and potted for a while until they're in good enough shape to plant somewhere more appropriate. I believe the lupines like you have were developed from species native to here, so it's not a total surprise they grow here (lupinus polyphyllus is native to Sonoma county).

I know a lot of people that have tried the blue poppies here, but most gave up, but I had good success my first try, raising two plants to flowering, so I know it can be done. Now I want to try as many as I can. One had incredibly blue flowers, the other more purplish. The pictures of the blue one at the link.

--Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Meconopsis photos

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I grew meconopsis two springs ago. They grew well all summer in pots and were planted out that fall but they did not return the next spring.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Thank you for this post. I was inspired, not by your beautiful flowers, few of which grow in this climate, but by the rock wall. I suddenly realized while looking at it what I needed to do about mine.

Nell

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I stumbled into this thread while searching for something else. It made me so happy I decided to bump it for everyone to enjoy!

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

OMGosh! Beautiful!

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!! Those white columbine are the first I have ever seen. I'll be after those. Oh, and the blue poppies, and...

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Breathtaking!
    I have never seen white columbine,is that a special one Tiffy?
    Your gardens are so very pretty,thank you for sharing such beauty.
    cAROL

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seedmama you made my day. :O) Sometimes I need to be reminded that things aren't always so cold and dreary as they have been in the last while. Thank-you!

The white Columbines... Amazing what you get in trades. These were sent to me in the first years I winter sowed and I remember them being marked 'Unknown'. In June and July they brighten up the shade gardens so nicely. :O)

Happy to share and glad you enjoyed!

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Tiffy I remember these photos esp. the coffee cup. lol
    It was a great idea to bump this up the gardens are GORGEOUS!! I recieved DR in a RR this year and am looking forward to growing them after seeing yours. I had read they were invasive but I'm going to give it a try.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I didn't look at the date and started reading the first post 'Literally. Took the photos last night.' and thought, "What?"
    LOL

Thanks for pulling up these photos of Nicole's lovely gardens.

I was out sprinkling some poppy seeds today as expect snow tonight. Sprinkled them in the new iris bed as it is the only bed not covered in leaves and snow.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annette,

You cracked me up!!! The coffee cup. DH says he picks-up more dishes in the gardens when the season starts then he does in the house. LOL!! I must admit I had to go back and have a look at where it was. Recently took photos in to the garden club and the members were looking for the coffee cups in the photos. they spotted 5.

BTW, you'll love the Dame's Rocket. Don't forget to smell them. :O)

mnwsgal,
    I have yet to do the spring sprinkling of the poppy seeds. Thanks for the reminder. It's so nice to see them coming up here and there.

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

These are absolutely GORGEOUS flowers!! They are all amazing, but I truly adore the columbines. Does anyone know a source for seeds of the white one? Thanks for bumping this up; it was the highlight of my day and I plan to go back and look at it every single day until things look less dead and dried up here. Is part 2 coming!!?

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just found Part 2 Chickenmom. :O)

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 2.

• PVick
    15 years ago

What a treat - I fall in love all over again. Thanks for the bump, seedmama!

There is a Part 2 ...

• love2garden-nc
    15 years ago

WOW, the pictures are breathtaking. The lupines are absolutely beautiful. I've never grown lupines before. Will they grow here in central NC? Anyone have any tips for growing lupines? What do they like/not like?

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

mnws- I already sprinkled the seeds on the iris bed on Saturday! You did it, too? Well, that's ok. We'll have twice the show come June.
    (There were no leaves or snow because I had to rake them out first and cut down the crappy iris foliage)

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

Tiffy,

Wow!
    I am in zone 5b and we are still brown here!
    Nothing green in sight!

Your yard is an inspiration!

Mary
    z 5b KS

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh gosh Mary. Look at the dates. The original post was made in Late June 2008. :O) Right now I'm still covered in leftovers from 5 ice storms this winter although I can see a bit of the lawn today in one area. YES!

Love2garden,
    Lupines are cool weather flowers which grow in lean well drained soil. They don't like heat. You might try some in part shade in NC's zone 7.

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Tiffy I did not spot an coffee cups in the 2cd set of pics. Did I miss any? LOL at the garden club ladies doing a count! Can you do a round 3 of pics from latter in season? We are all enjoying you gardens-beautiful.

I will most definitely smell the DR

Annette

Sponsored