SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Lost in Community Forklift

CEFreeman
13 years ago

Hi all!

Here in the DC area we have another H4H type resuse center called Community Forklift.

I've been going there weekly to pick up cabinet doors, cabinets when they have my size, and other sundries.

Today I got lost for over 2 hours in the hardware section. I'm here to tell you that anyone who doesn't check their reuse center before they build anything is ripping themselves off. Everything from carriage bolts of every size, to hurricaine clips, hinges (bought for my cabs, 50c each), door knobs, nails, screws, you get my drift?

I know how much this stuff actually costs, because my STBX would clean his truck into hefty bags & leave them in the driveway. I have sorted that crap out & probably returned over $2000 to Home Depot & Lowes, which went back into house materials.

My point is that I just got door pulls for all 15 of my pocket doors. They run $4 - $7 & up for cool ones. (50c each) I like the antique, used look so I picked those out of the new stuff purposefully.

I got chain link fence materials at again, (50c each) connectors, post caps, the things that hold the fence to the posts, etc.

New 1 1/4 & 3/4" brads for my brad nailer ($4) Reinforcing bars 15 for $1.00.

Wooden shutters of all sizes are $30-40 a pair. If you buy a door elsewhere, you're NUTZ!!!! Doors of all sizes, shapes & eras are lined up for miles. New and old! French doors, sliders, windows, new & old, all shapes. They have those huge ones from old houses & modern new, light doors. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Anyway, if you don't mind digging, I strongly recommend getting down and dirty and heading out for your local H4H or any other reuse center.

I saw someone buying 9 exterior wooden doors at HD recently. I cringed for them.

Happy & dirty Christine

Formerly C F Muehling

Christine

Comments (13)