SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

allotments and community gardens

User
13 years ago

Allotments have been a part of the UK landscape for a couple of hundred years since the industrial revolution and later economic depressions justified the provision of little plots of land for urban dwellers, to feed their families and also, as a cultural incentive (those patriarchal Victorians) to keep us proles off drink and drugs. Although we have lost two-thirds of them in landgrabs (there are now only 300,000 allotments, down from just over a million), they are suddenly the must-have lifestyle accessory at the moment. What, if anything, do you have in the US? I know some of you work on community gardens (La Brea, I think?) and some of you volunteer in public gardens and cemetries. How does the US address the desire for a piece of land for its citizens? Are there a lot of community gardens? How much planting autonomy do you have? Are there movements like Commonground over there? Is there much interest in guerilla gardening or just taking over abandonned city lots?

Demand for allotments goes in cycles - when we got ours, the council could barely give them away whereas there is now a 30 year waiting list for many city sites (although how these figures are worked out is a mystery since there are 2 empty, or at least, unused plots on my site which is one of the smallest, but most popular in the city.

There are movements such as landshare, which are designed to give access to people who want to garden, in someone's private garden which the owners are unable or unwilling to cultivate. Uptake has been sporadic but the idea is basically a good one, I think.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations