SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattym24_gw

Need advice on old pool remodel

pattym24
16 years ago

Hi - i'm starting a new thread so not to hijack the other one. Hopefully I'll get some replies.

I've been lurking reading as much as I can for a bit now.

We have an old pool in our house (don't know exactly how old it is, but I'm guessing about 30 years old). It's been re-tiled once. And they poured concrete around it at least once that we know of before we moved in. The concrete was poured incorrectly (or not sure exactly what), but the tiles are popping out it seems that it doesn't have the layer to help it absorb the concrete expansion. And after one of the last earthquakes we had there are a couple of cracks as well.

I recently put in all new equipment (pump, filter and heater) because I thougt at least this way we could keep it clean and functioning.

I've gotten a couple of quotes (somewhat close in $) to re-cope, replaster and retile. The issue is that none of them mentioned doing a leak test. As a matter of fact one of them went as far as to say that they would not guarantee that the cracks would not come back and that they will not leak.

There's a deck that surrounds it partially. I paid for someone to come and wash it and stain it but they found that it starting to rotting in a few places. So now, I'm thinking that the pool is indeed leaking and I need to get the pool done before I try and rip out the deck and put a new one.

But re-doing the pool and deck is a huge job and I will need to do it in stages.

My question is: what should I watch out for in regards to the pool? should I call one of those Detect Leak places before I call a PB? How can I stagger the work over a few years to spread the cost? At the end of it, is it worth it to spend around $15K to get the pool done when it might still leak.

thanks for your input!

Comments (7)