SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
airborne101_gw

Need advice on old pool light switch for AS pool

airborne101
14 years ago

Hey group, this is out of our hardscape element, concrete can't electrocute us.....so DH said to ask first. We have a 16 year old Anthony Sylvan pool with the standard big light. It flickered a few times with last use, so when we drained the pool this year we replaced the light bulb as well, followed all directions and tested it, all was ok. About a week ago, I found the pool light on at night, we do have a plug in remote, but weren't using it. I figured some neighbor has a remote close by ( I know I can turn on a neighbors pool light)so I changed the code. We tested the light the other night, it lit for about 5 minutes, flickered and went out. I plugged in the remote, got it to light, it flickered after a minute and went out. We replaced with the same wattage bulb as the original so DH is thinking its the switch. The switch is in a j box with 2 outlets, a gfi and the switch is push on with a button on bottom of it to lock it in off position I believe. I bought a replacement outdoor rated box with 2 outlets, a gfi and just a toggle switch. Its rated 20 amps and ok for 2008 pool standards according to the box, made in USA. Is this an acceptible replacement? DH broke the cover off the old one, so we want to replace for safety as well as hope the darn light stays on. Should we attempt this or call an electrician? Up until the old bulb flickering at the end of last season, no problems at all. Advice appreciated. Thanks Barb

Comments (2)