SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picha69

Old pool, pipes leaking, concrete deck cracked, need help

picha69
15 years ago

Hello all and especially Muddy (I have read lots of your postings here),

I am in need of help. Here is the situation:

We bought a house last year with IG pool, which has been neglected for more than 8 years (neighbor's testimony). When I opened the cover last fall it was a swamp underneath. I poured a ton of chemicals and within 3 days it was a blue cloudy water. That is when I gave up and closed it for the spring.

Last week we opened it, the swamp was back. I shocked, and shocked, and threw many bottles of algaecide etc, until the water got blue and cloudy again. Some foam appeared and after going through many forums, I got a solution to that, too. In the basket of the pump I placed 5 giant tabs of chlorine and the next morning we had a miracle - I could see the bottom. I was vacuuming and cleaning the filter (D.E.) all along, as it would get frequently clogged with algae and debris.

At this point I should say that I did also something I read about in the forums and I need your help assessing if this was a big mistake or not: I bought from Lowes a bottle of Root Kill and threw 2 tbl spoons (18,000 gal pool). On the bottle it says 99% Copper Sulphate, which is what I was looking for to kill the remaining algae.

Now all looks good, the water is clean, but smells of chlorine, and I still do not dare swim in it. Here is why:

Once the water got clean, the terrible truth got revealed - a dead squirrel at the bottom. It must have died last fall when I attempted cleaning the pool. The poor creature was still intact but some of its skin fell off when I was pulling it out of the water. I vacuumed everything, but I am afraid that it is not safe to swim in this water. The pool guy in the store claimed that I can disinfect with more shock and chlorine and also that there is NO way I can drain the water and replace it.

Finally, the concrete deck around is all cracked, and more worrisome - I believe that I have leaking water lines feeding the pool. The pool is vinyl 15x30 4ft to 7 ft. The reason why I think the pipes are leaking is that when the pump works and the filter is clean, I loose about 2" to 3" over night. The amount I lose is smaller when the filter is clogged. Also, around the edges of the concrete deck, when I dig a bit in the ground, water surfaces and it smells of chlorine.

My questions:

1. Is it safe after all the chemicals I poured in, to swim in the pool in which I found the dead animal?

2. I would like to change the feeding lines but they are under tons of concrete. How to do that?

3. I also would like to change the concrete with flagstone. Can I do that with the pool filled up? Is there a risk for the pool to collapse if I remove the concrete blocks in order to put the flagstone?

I know the posting is long, but I think the info is important. Thanks to anyone who has read it and I will appreciate your responses.

Best,

L

Comments (6)