SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnr1089

Need Advice on Pool Pump

cnr1089
12 years ago

Our pool build as finished at the end of last year. The pool looks and works great (except for one thing).

This summer, the pool was opened in April....Once the pool was salted (we have a salt water generator), I noticed that when the pool pump was run on low speed, I would get "No Flow" and chlorine was not generated.

The pool builder checked it out, but first told me to backwash, etc, to see if it went away. It did, that day, but came back the next day...

I told them again and they said they would check it next time they came out. Next time they came out, they were doing other things, and of course, it did not show No Flow when the pump went to low speed...About an hour later, I got no flow.

Ok, so now it is mid-summer and they finally came out with advanced notice, where I ran at low speed all morning, no flow, of course, again.

This time, after talking with Hayward (this is all hayward equipment), they said that that is just the way things are (there isn't enough flow)....

So, our pool technician (from the same company as our pool builder) said, "Well, you just have to run the pump on full speed longer." I am a little bummed, the whole point is that we ran at full speed for a few hours (filtered all our water through once), then the remainder of the day at low speed, saving me energy....

Anyways, I think based on the design, the distance from the pool that the equipment was, etc, if there wasn't enough flow, they should have installed a Variable Speed pump, rather then the dual speed pump. So far the technician said that because it was a year old pump now, there is no way they would be able to just trade it up and give me credit, because it is used....But of course, I told them about the issue as soon as I noticed it (almost immediately after the pool was fully turned on)....

What should I do? My thought is a variable speed pump would let me get a lower speed that will actually produce enough flow, thus working around this problem. I am not expecting a free lunch here, but if the equipment doesn't work as specified, I am thinking the pool builder should make it right (they designed it, they should have known if there would be enough flow, etc).

Thanks in advance....

Comments (12)