SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcamom

Help needed on pool remodel b/c my head is spinning

northcamom
14 years ago

Spring Greetings! I live in the SF Bay Area and am about to take on an extremely expensive pool remodel/backyard landscaping project. We have a 20 x 40 pool built in/around 1957. The previous owners relined with fiberglass (over plaster) in 1996. They claim they did not do this b/c of any major structural cracks in the plaster. We intend on removing the fiberglass and re-plastering (or using a pebble finish), new tile, new coping, complete re-do of old copper plumbing, underground pool cover, new equipment and re-do of old pool deck. I would so appreciate feedback on the following:

1)Is a main drain necessary? One pool co. states it is and they will put in a new main drain as part of the remodel. The other pool co. states it is not needed and shouldn't be replaced b/c to do so will impact the integrity of your pool and may be the cause of leaks, etc. in the future. They state that the pool sweep will re-circulate the water sufficiently along with the skimmer's function. They will pressure test the old main drain line and leave it if tests ok, with the proviso that if it leaks in the future we could just abandon the line by capping it off. Their bids are almost identical, so the company replacing the main drain isn't charging tons more $.

2)Which is the better product/company- Wet Edge Pebble Sheen or Pebble Tec's Pebble Sheen? Or are they equal?

3) Pool covers, any companies to avoid? Or are they all about the same? There is one company that is hydraulic and the pump isn't housed in the vault, it would be in our pool shed with the other equipment, as opposed to being down inside the pool cover vault as the others are.

4) We would like to soften the look of the area around the pool and not put back as much hardscape. We considered grass, but b/c of irrigation (water costs$$), maintenance and two dogs we are thinking of artificial grass. We will have about a 3' walkway, in addition to the coping, around the perimeter of the pool in bluestone and then turf out from that to the planting bed areas with some stepping stones in various pathway areas. Probably about 1000 SF.

Any pearls, warnings, suggestions and learned opinions would be very appreciated.

Comments (3)