SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauxchick56

Where to put my incredible find????

fauxchick56
15 years ago

I just found this wonderful chinoiserie desk at an antique mall. The price was $349.00 which I thought was fair...but the vendor had 25% off everything in her booth. It appears to be very old, but they couldn't tell me anything specific except they think it's at least 25 years old.

This is the first place that I have tried the desk. It looks great in real life, but the photograph (and they don't lie) tells me it is way too small to use behind the sofa. I could also use it in my master bedroom sitting area or maybe even as a bedside table. The color in the pic looks bright cobalt, but it's really a "dirty" teal. I would appreciate any suggestions and my feelings won't be hurt - I promise!!!! Also, if anyone knows anything about chinoiserie, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

{{gwi:1381716}}

Comments (28)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Since it's a very whimsical piece I'm afraid it really doesn't fit in your more contemporary living room. This piece really needs a traditional or eclectic room, and one where the color will be harnonious with the other furnishings. I would say it also needs to be in a room that has a lot of color and pattern so it will blend in and not call quite this much attention to itslef. It's a very interesting and pretty piece. It seems a tad too large for a bedside table unless your bedroom is huge, and whatever would you put on the other side of the bed to go with it? I can envision this piece standing on a colorful Oriental rug, which would offset it beautifully. It seems a bit lost on a bare wood floor.

• alisande
    15 years ago

In addition to whatever information you get here, you might get some info on the piece if you post a picture on the Antiques & Collectibles Forum.

• Related Discussions

Incredible - fish survived in my zone 3 puddle

Q

Comments (5)
    One of the goldfish did seem a bit 'orangey' on his side, maybe that's a sign that he'll change color? I have black babies from a few years ago that are still black so I'm not holding my breath. That's okay, I figure black fish are less noticeable and still eat mosquito larvae in the water so good to have around. Anyways, finding the fish babies was a surprise. In fact, I was doing a bigger water change than I would have had I known the fish were in there. Good thing I had dechlorinator on hand when I added the new water (I thought the pond was empty so didn't originally plan on adding dechorinator). The only down side is the new water that went into the pond was a bit colder than the old water, thus I was worried about the temperature shock I may have given the fish. Tonight I saw one of the babies swimming around and I now have a pump circulating the water. Glen
    ...See More

where the heck am i going to put my river birch?

Q

Comments (5)
    I find it hard to even grow grass beneath relatively young ones. I see river birches in many landscape situations planted less than 10 feet away from structures. I'm not recommending that you do this but like like most things in residential landscapes nowadays, it's more for instant gratification and curb appeal. Long term damage and removal many years down the line is overlooked. Knowing that for the cost of two ice cream cones, you could be creating a huge problem for a future homeowner simply because it was an irresistable deal. On the other hand, it will look nice in the garden and if you keep your eye on it and remove it when it starts to get too big then maybe you'll be satisfied. Personally I'd take it back to lowes. Get my $6 back, go get a couple of ice cream cones and then hit the nurseries looking for a more suitable tree to plant for the location that will be there for many future homeowners to enjoy rather than a liability. I look at birches the same way I look at willows. Messy, short lived, problem roots. Keep it a safe distance.
    ...See More

Where do I put my knobs and cup pulls?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not a fan of knobs, so I think the best possible placement of knobs, is to place them back in the bin at the hardware store, and to select pulls for your doors. :-) Of the knob options in the other thread, I like lily1342's. To my eye putting the knob centered in the intersection of the stile and rail is too low for the uppers. For my drawer pulls, I centered the pulls vertically on the top-most drawers, but for the larger lower drawers, I placed the drawer pull higher than the center, so that the distance from the top of the drawer to the handle was the same for all drawers.
    ...See More

Where is the best place to put my Brugs?

Q

Comments (14)
    thanks for the info, Carrie... I live in NE Alabama, and we can have intense sun in the summer and the highs are high 80's to mid 90's... I have a couple places for them, one of which has morning shade and afternoon sun. the other has afternoon shade, which is the place i'm thinking would be best. I can plant in the ground there - if the brug starts to suffer in the summer, I can move to another location, or put into a pot until I can find the ideal location. Full sun has been suggested by posters so they will bloom good, so might try a location in full sun also... i'll have to see what works best in this area. thanks, everyone, for your suggestions...
    ...See More
  • gracie-2006
    15 years ago

I love it and I like the idea of it being used as a sofa table. I think, as above mentioned, it is whimsical and your room does not lend itself towards that overall. However, to make it work you could add some other type of whimsical touches. Maybe a throw over the side of your couch with some colors in the chest and a fun type of fringe. I can not tell from your picture- are the pictures Asian looking? Then if it is maybe add a silk type of throw with an asian type fringe.

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

I think that piece can go any where, regardless of the style of the room, assuming that it is in scale with the other furniture and the size of the room, and the color is good in the room. That said, I don't like it with the sofa because it is too big. I hope you find a nice spot for it. It is just the type of unique piece that could add some spice to a room. It is fun!
    Diane

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

from Wikepedia:

"Chinoiserie, a French term, signifying "Chinese-esque", refers to a recurring theme in European artistic styles since the seventeenth century, which reflect Chinese artistic influences.[1] It is characterized by the use of fanciful imagery of an imaginary China, by asymmetry in format and whimsical contrasts of scale, and by the attempts to imitate Chinese porcelain and the use of lacquerlike materials and decoration."

it describes your piece to a tee, I'm sure you'll find the right spot for it,
    keep us posted !!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Try it in the master bedroom sitting area -- and take another photo so we can see it! LOL!

It is a LOVELY desk! And at a GREAT price!

Jan

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

"This piece really needs a traditional or eclectic room"

I agree-it needs one of MY rooms! So send it right on over! SCORE!! That is so pretty-enjoy!

• fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is a better representation of the piece:

{{gwi:1669580}}

ingrid_vc: The bare floor also bothers me. And I always thought I was more tradtional in style, even though the back of the sofa doesn't look it - it does have a pleated skirt on the front and a soft curve. Our bedroom isn't huge - 20 x 16. But I think the bedside table isn't such a good idea after all.

alisande: Thanks for the antique forum suggestion.

gracie-2006: Thanks - I usually have a green throw over the back of the sofa and when I put it back, it did seem to make the piece a little less floaty. The painting is not Asian, just an "anywhere" bucolic landscape.

powermuffin: Thanks...the scale is bothering me too.

mitchdesj: I so didn't know it was a french term. Thanks

teacats: The price was great! And I think it will find it's new home in the sitting area of the bedroom.

pattiem93: Funny! Your rooms already have gorgeous things!!!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Always room for one more, fauxchick! I love it!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

beautiful, the color is amazing.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

the piece is beautiful and why should people say that it doesn't go in your room..we aren't into matchy matchy are we any more? we have matured past that. No..it goes fine..it is just a matter of "accessories"..to match a beautiful piece such as this to a room..all you have to do is properly accessorize the room to blend it in..it is beautiful and you should use it where you wish to use it.

I think it is FINE behind the sofa..it is beautiful..my suggestion..is to continue with your blues..no need to match..i see you have a couple other blue pieces of furniture and they all fit in together just fine.

I would add a few other blue accessories to the room..say rugs and candles or vases or plates or some art..and maybe a throw with your colors..honestly i believe a few oriental rugs with the colors of your pattern in them would be very helpful..or some fabrics such as curtains or pillows..some blue plates with the gold edges or elegant blue vases with gold..would really pull it out..add some more of the old gold into the room..to pull the gold together..girl you should really enjoy the pieces you have..sometimes we ask people with styles totally different than our own for opinions and they are seeing their own styles and their own eyes..and can't really see YOUR house and YOUR style..so be careful to not be defeated in your creativity ..trust your gut..go with what you love..can't wait to see the room accessorized to pull in more of the blue..

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

What a stunning piece. I'd prefer to see it up against a wall--with a mirror above and really very little on top to detract from the lovely artwork.

What a find. I'm sure you'll find the right spot... and if not, send it to me!

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

Your piece is really gorgeous. What really surprises me is the comments that your room is too contemporary for it. Your accents look very traditional with the sofas and chairs being more transitional but very neutral.

Contemporary does not come to mind in the least bit! I can't make the photo bigger, but from what I can tell in the small pic, you have an old fashioned formal mantle with antiqued brick, formal topiaries, mustard plastery-looking walls, a red distressed armoire for your TV, crown moldings, and a little side table that looks like it might be asian-antique, and a figural lamp.

Will somebody please explain to me how this room is contemporary??

If this room is contemporary, what on earth is traditional?

I absolutely think the desk belongs there, although I don't necessarily love the placement behind the sofa. But it surely does fit in that room. Lucky girl!

You have awesome taste.

Joanna

• fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, mitchdesj. I do like it a lot!

ronbre: Thank you too, and I had a few more Asiany/blue-ish accessories that I photographed. The Japanese woman was painted by my Japanese art teacher. She is in the D.R. now, but maybe I should use her over the fireplace. Whatcha think? Oh yeah, you are absolutely right, I obviously don't like matchy!

valinsv: I have hired security to protect my desk from you and pattiem93!!!

tradewind_64: Yep, I didn't think I had a contemporary bone in my body!!! A few more pics showing a little more of the room - I also like the idea of using it against a wall, but I have no wall space left!! I would blame it on the open plan, but I think it's because I have lotsa stuff!!! And, I truly appreciate the compliments.

{{gwi:1669583}}

{{gwi:1669584}}

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I would leave that lamp only and nothing else on the top, if not a few of those leather bound books next to the lamp. I would remove the throw on the back of your sofa. A shorter, fatter lamp would look good also.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

You better tell those security goons to keep an eye on that lamp and painting too! OMG- I WANT them! That room will be stunning-the desk BELONGS there

• jjam
    15 years ago

Oh wow. What a fabulous piece! I think it could go anywhere; it's in a class by itself. I do like it where it is, and I love the weathered quality of the finish in your room. What a beauty.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

Thank you, mitchdesj. I do like it a lot!
    ronbre: Thank you too, and I had a few more Asiany/blue-ish accessories that I photographed. The Japanese woman was painted by my Japanese art teacher. She is in the D.R. now, but maybe I should use her over the fireplace. Whatcha think? Oh yeah, you are absolutely right, I obviously don't like matchy!

valinsv: I have hired security to protect my desk from you and pattiem93!!!

tradewind_64: Yep, I didn't think I had a contemporary bone in my body!!! A few more pics showing a little more of the room - I also like the idea of using it against a wall, but I have no wall space left!! I would blame it on the open plan, but I think it's because I have lotsa stuff!!! And, I truly appreciate the compliments.

DEAR ME YOU ARE SO RIGHT CHICKIEPOO..I LOVE YOUR ACCESSORIES AND IF YOU ARE CONTEMPORARY I AM 29 AGAIN.

I THINK YOUR ACCESORIES ARE YUMMMMMOOOOO

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE DESK BEHIND THE SOFA..NOT SO MUCH LOVING THE THROW..BUT IT'S UP TO YOU..I THINK A CHINESE PATTERNED THROW WOULD BE STUNNING..AND SOME ORIENTAL RUGS..

IF YOU STILL FEEL THAT IT IS TOO SMALL THERE..WHICH IT IS NOT..YOU COULD ALWAYS BALANCE BOTH SIDES WITH SOME LITTLE PRETTY..LIKE MAYBE A PLANT ON EACH SIDE..SITTING ON THE FLOOR..SOMETIMES WE TEND TO USE OUR FLOORS..AND YOUR HOME IS SO BEAUTIFUL..WITH SUCH BEAUTIFUL FLOORS..BY ALL MEANS FEEL FREE TO USE THEM..

ONE WAY TO TIE A PIECE THAT YOU DON'T FEEL FITS IN IS TO DECORATE FROM THE FLOOR UP..USE THE SPACE THAT IS SITTING THERE UNUSED ON EITHER SIDE..AN URN, A STACK OF BOOKS OR BOXES, A BASKET ..PLANTS AS I SAID..SOME TALL CANDLESTICKS ..BUT STICK WITH WHAT IS IN THE ORIENTAL THEME..LOOK AT SOME ORIENTAL DESIGNS AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE IN THOSE LITTLE ODD SPACES..

I TOTALLY LOVE ALL THE BLUES AND GOLDS AND DARK WOODS YOU HAVE..IT IS STUNNNNNNNING..

MAYBE A STACK OF BOOOKS WITH THE BUST ON ONE SIDE OF THE CHST ON THE FLOOR AND A PLANT ON THE OTHER..I LOVE THE HYDRANGEAS..BUT YOU COULD ALSO HAVE A TRAILING PLANT THAT WOULD TIE IN ONE SIDE TO THE FLOOR..

OR ALSO YOU COULD REPEAT YOUR TOPIARIES BY PUTTING A TOPIARY OF SOME OTHER SHAPE..ON EITHER SIDE OF THE CHEST..MAYBE A SPIRAL OR A SPHERE OR LOLLIPOP..

IS THAT 'SUEDE' PAINT ON YOUR WALLS..IT APPEARS EXACTLY THE SAME COLOR AND TEXTURE AS THE WALLS IN MY LIVING ROOM..AND I LOVE MINE TO NO END ..

IF YOU ARE USING THAT WOMAN ART IN THE ROOM, THERE IS A LOT OF RED IN THE ART..THE URN AND THE ROBE..I WOULD BOUNCE OFF THAT BIGTIME AND BRING IN THAT RED TO THE ROOM..AN ELEGANT RED FRINGED SHAWL ON THE SOFA WOULD BOUNCE IN THAT RED..AND SOME RED AND BLUES IN ORIENTAL RUGS WOULD BRING IN THE RED AND BRING IT AROUND THE ROOM AS WELL..MYSELF..IF IT FITS..THAT PICTURE WOULD GO OVER MY FIREPLACE..THE ARRANGEMENT YOU HAVE THERE IS STUNNING AND THAT ART AND TOPIARIES ARE STUNNING..HOWEVER..THAT PICTURE IS JUST WAY OUT THERE STUNNING AND WILL TIE EVERYTHING TOGETHER..THE OTHER PIECE IS SURE BEAUTIFUL..SO USE IT SOMEWHERE..BUT IF THAT LADY ART WOULD GO OVER THE FIREPLACE IT WILL EVEN PULL OUT THE RED IN THE BRICK..

PLEASE POST NEW PICTURES WHEN YOU ARE DONE ..I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT..YOU HAVE VERY GOOD TASTE..

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago
  • fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mitchdesj: I think I will be using my laptop at this desk, so I like the idea of nothing but the lamp. And it will allow the design to show. Less to dust around can't hurt either!

pattiem93 and jjam: Thank you both so much. I am going to keep the desk behind the sofa for now, change up a few things in the room, and see how it feels. pattiem93 - You crack me up!!

ronbre: THANK, THANK, THANK, YOU. Oops...didn't mean to yell at ya!! (tradewind_64: that picture is too funny!)
    You have so many wonderful ideas,ronbre. The green throw is already gone. I do have a large blue/red antique oriental rug in the DR and it would be gorgeous in this room, except...it is 10 x 13 and I would have to run it under the sofa -the size that would extend in front of the sofa would be perfect - it would also extend 2 feet past the front of the desk, which would be good for the chair that I pull up for the computer. The width is also good, except that it will totally interfere with using the barstools - this room is open to the kitchen and breakfast room. Maybe I will look for a smaller one, as I agree the room would look better with a rug. Duh!...I guess I could use 2 rugs. Oh yeah, the wall finish is a five layer "linen" finish. I love it. The walls were painted BM silver marlin (frenchy blue) and I had different furniture - but it felt cold to me. It took a long time to go around the whole room 5 times, but I finally finished and it warmed it right up. I will definitely post pics when I finish.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm glad I came back to this post. Thought maybe I was delusional, lol. I had seen bursts of blue in your room and its eclectic nature.

Nice to see even more of it.

Great piece!

• ronbre
    15 years ago

sorry if you were offended by the caps..it was to show the difference between the quote from her post and my part..i was not attempting to shout or offend..it was just taken the wrong way..

• fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma42: The flash is making this look crazy bright blue on all the vertical surfaces. It actually looks more like the single photo in my second post, or the top where the flash isn't hitting in the other photos. In fact, it looks kind of dirty! But, I do have several more blue things in the room and will add even more since I am leaving the desk in this room.

ronbre: You feel free to "shout" good ideas at me anytime!!!!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

HEY! LOOK! What's that over there? ( sneaking up on tippy toes to steal desk, painting and lamp....shhh)

gorgeous find! can you take close ups of the back and drawer sides so we can see the construction? I hope you enjoy that gorgeous desk each time you work on it! Since you have a Japanese art teacher, does that mean you paint too?

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I think it looks just terrible there and you should box it up and send it to me immediately along with that scrumptious painting. :o)

Seriously... oooo la la!! Congratulations on your fabulous find! Hmmm... I think I'd get that green throw off the couch. If you want to have the little table behind the big couch, can you put some plants on the floor on each side of the table and some of them tall maybe? Or maybe just on one side and off-center the table?

Or, can you put the new chinoiserie in your entryway? I hate to say this, but I'd even think about maybe putting the TV on it. But what the heck do I know?

• fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cooperbailey: Thank you so very much. The back of the desk is one piece of wood with a weird flat chalky paint on it. All 5 drawers are triangular in shape. The drawers are lined with beautiful paper. I think it has some age, but no clue how much. Here's a few pics.

I've been doing decorative painting for years, mostly faux finishes, furniture, and murals. I decided that I needed to paint in oils. I took lessons from the incredibly talented Chico Douglas for about a year, but am currently taking a break. Here is one of my landscapes that my DH thought was worthy enough to hang in his office. What a guy!!

{{gwi:1669586}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

"parma42: The flash is making this look crazy bright blue on all the vertical surfaces. It actually looks more like the single photo in my second post, or the top where the flash isn't hitting in the other photos. In fact, it looks kind of dirty! But, I do have several more blue things in the room and will add even more since I am leaving the desk in this room."

No, I didn't mean it looked bad when I first saw the room! :) Maybe I was being too cryptic.

Meant that I noticed other blue pieces, a nice mix of things and didn't see the same contemporary style as had been mentioned.

It's a lovely, lived in look and the desk will be a great addition. Love the walls, too, and your gorgeous art.

• fauxchick56
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oceanna: the green throw is gone! I will try some different things on the floor until I figure out the rug situation. The desk would look good in the foyer, but I really like what I have there now. Maybe you can tippy toe in with cooperbailey and split the loot!

parma42: Oops! I misunderstood ya - Thank you.