SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammers510

Where is the best place to put my Brugs?

Sammers510
7 years ago

I decided to start a new thread, I am growing Brugs for the first time this year and want to know everyone's opinion on the best place to put their pots/plant them in ground. I ordered 6 assorted rooted cuttings and some of them had 2-3 plants in each pot, they separated nicely and I only lost one so far, so I am working with about 10 plants (Gasp!) I fully expected some to die and hoped I'd have at least one successful plant and now have more than I intended. Its still early on in their growth so I may lose a few more as the summer comes but right now I am going under the assumption that they will all live and need space for them all.

My lot is long and narrow with the majority South facing (front of the house), a North Facing slope on the back side, and a small pathway for East and West. I am going to put their pots on the East facing path after they move up from 4 in pots to 1 gallons but they will quickly outgrow that space. I am moving the red pots that have herbs into my "back yard" (front yard that is fenced separately and not shown) and plan to line them down the walkway here while they are smaller.

I could also line them up on that patch of grass on the left once larger but I fear they would only get 1-2 hours of sun here between me and the neighbor house.

I initially thought I was going to line them down the side of the driveway by placing square pavers for a level base spaced out at the edge of the grass, but now I am worried about the southern exposure being too much for them, I have seen on some sites that they appreciate protection from the afternoon sun, and on others full sun, I'm not sure if in my Oregon climate if they could handle the sun better than those in hotter places like the south.

I was also planning on moving the small maple and cleaning out/re-organizing the small bed here and placing one in the center if the sun won't be too much for it.

I could try to put them on the North slope but I would need to remove the grass and figure out how to sink the pots into the hill, which I cannot find any information of anyone doing it successfully before, or plant them directly into the slope and dig them out in the fall. which is becoming my new favorite idea. The problem with this area is that it gets some early morning sun (about 3 hours) then not much direct sunlight after that because of the buildings (is that enough?) and I'd never get to see them except for when I water.

I'd love to terrace the back area but just don't have the funds to spare for it and we don't plan on staying in this house long term.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. :)

Comments (14)